Pin removal tool?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by KevinSig, Oct 14, 2021.

1. KevinSig

KevinSig Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    So I bought a used Xtransbots that was damaged by the post office, good news is the post covered what I paid minus shipping. Better news, Xtransbots sent me replacement parts to fix my issues.

Problem is, it requires removal of pins, so I can take it apart. I inquired as to what tool I need, and was told I need something they called an professional axis removal tool.

Any clue what this is? I found some things that look like the could maybe work, but I think are intended for electronics.

JRready TL00 Pin Removal Tools Harting Extraction Tool for remove HARTING, TE Han DD Heavy Duty connectors (09990000012) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07M66HR2N/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_W88SRDQ03KVTNRB8P6ZB

I’ve heard of people using tools for removing watch pins, but I’m not certain that will help me. Any advice what tool I need?

• Like Like x 1
  2. ziltama

ziltama Mods, molds, and casts. Also full of hot gas.

News Credits:
    That's the wrong tool mainly because the pin puncher diameter is too big. Most standard pins are 2mm in size, but some run as small as 1mm or so. The pin puncher obviously cannot be larger than the pin, otherwise, you'll destroy the hinge joint.

If you can't eyeball pinsize, use a digital caliper and measure. Then find a puncher size preferably smaller than it (same is still somewhat risky but doable).

This is one set by Go Better although I'm weary because the plastic is 3d printed:
    Go Better Studio GX-28 GX28 Dismantling Tool Pin Remover (Shaft remover, axle remover) for toy figures Upgrade Kit

• Like Like x 6
  3. Prescient

Prescient Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Psychoshi

Psychoshi Grammaton Cleric

Sounds like there are multiple pins on the figure that you need to remove. Wouldn't hurt to take photos and draw arrows to where the pins are, so that those of us with the figure might be able to tell you the size of the pins.

I would highly recommend you practice punching pins out on a cheap junker transformer, before going onto the real deal. Better to gain some experience first, so that you'll be more confident and better at it.

Tips: heat up the area with a hair dryer to soften the plastic, which will make the pin removing much easier.

Make sure you punch out the pin by punching the side of the pin that does not have the rough texture. Pins are designed to go in and out only one way.

Sometimes it's hard to tell which side it is, so you'll just have to punch out the pin a little bit first, to better see the pin and if it has the rough surface area or not. If you see that the pin that sticks out is the rough side, then you did it the right way. If it does not have rough texture, punch it back in and go the other side to remove it.

Learn to position the figure to minimize any stress that the punching will cause.

I have only removed pins a handful of times. Used a micro philips screwdriver, the kind you get in a cheap set one can find in a dollar store. And some pliers, to pull out the pin, once enough of it is punched out. Can't even remember if I used a hammer or not.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  5. wasabircr

wasabircr Active Member

6. ziltama

ziltama Mods, molds, and casts. Also full of hot gas.

News Credits:
    Regardless of which option you choose, don't go above 2mm or 0.0787 in.

If you don't see a measurement, then skip.

7. deaculpa

deaculpa Stand Alone Complex

News Credits:
    @KevinSig
    As someone said, be sure your punch is not larger than the hole. You will widen /damage the hole and be unable to put a pin back in. I realllllly wish someone had told me this. In fact, practice on something you don’t care about first.

“And he gave his only begotten XTB Andras,
    that we may learn from his tears.
    Like a bitch he wept, for 40 days and 40 nights,
    And for a fortnight it pained his butt.”

8. Starganderfish

Starganderfish Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Watch pin removal tools are perfect. Spring
    Loaded ones work great.
    Good tip - get some Playdoh or Sculpty polymer clay. Place the figure on that when pushing out pins. It’s soft enough to give without breaking the figure but dense enough to provide support and hold it in place. Resting the figure on wood or the table etc there’s a good chance you’ll crack the plastic.
    71D72B61-CA12-43E5-90CE-0793BD29651C.jpeg

• Like Like x 5
  9. Racer_J

Racer_J Permanently logged out . . .

• Like Like x 1
  10. kamifushou

kamifushou Well-Known Member

11. Thalyn

Thalyn Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    An automatic centre-punch can also be used for removing the pins, or at least getting them far enough that you can grip them with a pair of pliers. Functions much the same but obviously doesn't have a flat tip (a file could change that if you're keen).

Just don't try to use said punch to re-insert the pins. It can and will slide around when the pin isn't properly fixed, potentially sliding off and gouging your figure - or your hand.

You can buy cheap enough sets of jeweller's punches, complete with mallet, which work well for re-assembly. I think the set I use cost less than AU$30. Probably not to the quality you'd want when working on a Rolex (I wouldn't trust the strength or "true-ness" of any of the punches under 1mm in diameter) but certainly good enough for Megatron.

• Like Like x 1
  12. gibdozer

gibdozer Censored

This is what I use and it works great. I used to use a small screwdriver heat the plastic up with a hair dryer, or heat the pin with a soldering iron, like a caveman. An automatic(spring loaded)center punch is absolutely the way to go!

Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Charlie2688

Charlie2688 Well-Known Member

Guys I am trying to remove IT-01 skirt pin, will this work? I am looking for an automatic pin puncher

It's 1/8 diamater

General Tools Pocket Automatic Center Punch #87 ************/d/8MP2sRz

14. boomerdave

boomerdave Owns three Ditka figures. O_o Veteran

I tried an automatic and it didn't work because the tip was a bit too big on the first one and the second didn't hit hard enough. In the end, this is what I got. It has removed about every pin I've run into with no issues.

https://www.amazon.com/Watch-Band-T...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

15. Charlie2688

I literally bought that one but the pin tool are too small and no matter how much I hammer the IT-01 pin it barely moved an inch

• Like Like x 1
  16. Atomic Tofu

Atomic Tofu Well-Known Member

YouTube (Legacy):
    • Like Like x 1
  17. boomerdave

boomerdave Owns three Ditka figures. O_o Veteran

This might sound dumb but are you hitting it on the knureled end? If it's the side with the burr it's not going to want to budge if you're driving it inward. Otherwise without having the figure in front of me, It's hard to say what's holding it in. Usually a good couple of taps just moves it. :( 

18. Atomic Tofu

Atomic Tofu Well-Known Member

YouTube (Legacy):
    @boomerdave I hammered mine from the knurled end as per the instructions in the DNA kit :D 

19. Charlie2688

Yes! And I managed to make around 2mm pop from the side but beyond that it stopped moving, just to be 110% sure I am supposed to hit it in the rough/uneven side, NOT the flat shinny "nice" side correct?

Just to add extra detail, one side was more dented in and had sort of left over plastic, the other side was almost flush against the plastic, I was hammering the last first one, the one that was a little dented in and had the plastic residue

Last edited: Jul 13, 2022