Customs: Pin joint repair?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Phy, Feb 11, 2017.

1. Phy

Phy I want... ROOM SERVICE!!

News Credits:
    Is there a tutorial on fixing cracked pin joints? I've got a few Masterpiece figures that developed cracks on certain joints, mostly the type where one part of the joint is octagonal-shaped to give a soft-ratcheting action. The peaks of the octagons stressed the joint after several transformations, causing stress fractures.

Attaching a photo of MP Tracks' shoulder to show the kind of thing I need to fix. Both sides of the white shoulder piece are cracked (the little hairlines in the picture. Before I punched the pin out, they spread apart enough to see the pin). The mating blue part is the "octagon", which I'll be sanding down to rounded once I figure out what I'm doing.

[​IMG]

As an aside: I'm very glad that the last few MPs I've bought have few joints of this particular type. Where there are pin joints, they're rounded, and not stressed very much during transformation. Ratchet's back wheels and leg panels are an exception, and worry me a bunch.

2. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm not sure there's much that can be done. Superglue or jb weld or something would help but nothing you do is going to make it as strong as it was before it cracked. If I were trying to repair a MP Tracks, I would probably get a KO and scavenge it for parts since you can get one for around $30 USD. Of course, Tracks is a special case where people say the KO is actually nicer than the original (rubber tires and the hood is fixed so it sits flush in alt mode) so if you were gonna' go that route, you might as well use your original for spare parts and keep the KO as your MP Tracks.