Pics of Leader Class ROTF Starscream Prototype (head and claw)

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by guard convoy, Oct 13, 2009.

1. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Camaro Club! Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm confused which is it?

So movie toys are supposed to be unimpressive because they are a mainline so you just accept the lacking effort?

2. Terrorcon Blot

Terrorcon Blot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think he means that in the sense of

- Starscream is a mainline toy, and thus has to be made for both the collectors and children's market, while appealing to parents at a $40 price tag.

- Grimlock, meanwhile, is part of a sub-line of toys dedicated to being elaborate expensive collector's pieces, and has to do things to be appealing to collectors at a $160 price tag.

3. PoweredConvoy

PoweredConvoy Randy

News Credits:
    Yeah tell that to the people that had to engineer both that they're the same thing. Then by that logic every legend figure that is based on a larger figure is the same thing - which it's not. G1 Starscream and Classics Starscream are based on the same design and transform very similarly - just like Cybertron Voyager & Supreme Starscream. But neither are the same figure.

Randy

4. webz

webz Banned

Ebay:
    Whatever dude. It's not worth my time to argue over a pile of cheap chinese plastic. If you feel that passionate about minor details by supposedly hard working engineers at Hasbro, continue to ramble on and on. I'm done on it. It's a minor issue. Point is, Starscream is and always has been an extremely popular toy, one that has been used repeatedly to create other characters.

Leader Starscream is a fantastic looking prototype, and could lead to multiple high-end seeker repaints. I, for one, look forward to having him side by side with my Hasbro Masterpiece 'Scream.

Brawl as a character did not merit the leader size figure. It was a minor character at most. He did really NOTHING but shoot and cry like a baby to Megatron. Also, the deluxe toy was more than acceptable as a representative of the character. If we make a Leader of every damn character, why not ask for a Leader Ravage? Howabout Leader Wheelie? C'mon! Besides, the Brawl Leader was a shelf warmer. Walmart had to clear them out at $19.82 coz no one wanted the thing.

5. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Great, you've used them all up. How am I supposed to express my feeling about Bayformers now?

6. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    I think he's saying MP Starscream is more impressive because he's a relatively inexpensive mainline toy. Less time and money is spent on designing mainline toys than sporadically made collectors items such as MPs.

7. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    I believe it was confirmed ages ago that the reason we even got a Leader Brawl in the first place was because that mold was originally meant for Megatron. Way back in the beginning stages of the first movie being fleshed out, Megatron was going to be a tank, but by the time they switched gears to make him some alien jet nonsense instead, the Leader class tank mold was already designed and being put into production. Rather than scrap it altogether, they just transitioned it into Brawl, complete with a fancy new head.

Going by that apparent series of events, I actually don't think we would have gotten 3 unique Leader molds for the first movie if Megs remained a tank. I have a feeling Brawl either wouldn't have existed at all or that his toy would have remained a Deluxe similar to what they did with Bonecrusher. It also might explain why Megs ended up as an alien pile of flying metal as opposed to something with an actual alt mode - because they needed to pull a new design out of their asses asap and 'going alien' was the easiest way to engineer something with such short notice. But that's just my theory.

8. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:

That all seems a bit unlikely. There's way too much of the story that'd have to be disregarded for "crap, the movie's out in a week, make him a knifejet instead!".

9. Terrorcon Blot

News Credits:
    The reason Brawl likely got a leader mold was because from a script stand point, Brawl did more. While Blackout may have been in the first (fan wowing) scene, the majority of the final battle centered on Brawl.

I mean, which sounds like a more interesting and better toy to make leader class, if you were Hasbro reading a script:

SCENE: BONECRUSHER drives down the freeway, in pursuit of the AUTOBOTS. OPTIMUS PRIME and BONECRUSHER transform. They roll off the overpass, and OPTIMUS easily DESTROYS BONECRUSHER. The DECEPTICON BARRICADE tries to fight OPTIMUS as well, but is easily finished off.

or

SCENE: Tank shells fire through the air. It is the arrival of the DECEPTICON BRAWL. IRONHIDE transforms and dives, narrowly dodging his missiles. AUTOBOT JAZZ drives up and transforms, pulling the cannon away. BRAWL transforms, and JAZZ destroys one of his missile launchers. BRAWL tosses Jazz away. IRONHIDE and RATCHET have closed the gap and are firing, but Brawl returns fire. Thanks to the military's help, BRAWL falls. However, he gets up to fight on very shortly.
    Lennox: "These things just don't die"
    The soldiers are pinned under the constant barrage from BRAWL. MIKAELA, with BUMBLEBEE, have decided to help, and the wounded AUTOBOT is driven through the damaged roads on the back of a tow-truck. After a long battle, BUMBLEBEE finishes off BRAWL for good.

10. Fit For natalie

News Credits:
    The parting shot of somebody who doesn't know what they're talking about.

Since when did he do that? Did you watch some secret version of the 2007 where Brawl interacted with, well any other Decepticon?

Well, one justification Hasbro had (no doubt decided before the final cut of the movie/before effects was finished) for making a Leader class Brawl was his expected prominence in the final battle. Besides Megatron, he's the most frequently-seen Decepticon in Mission City, interacting with the soldiers and most of the Autobots.

11. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    He might not've been wowed. I like MP Grimlock, but I still don't think he's "WOW!".

12. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    Yeah, my little theory on why Megs looked the way he did is probably wrong, but I think the (alleged) explanation of why we got a Leader size toy of a background character like Brawl makes a lot of sense considering the small sizes of Blackout and Bonecrusher.

13. Terrorcon Blot

News Credits:
    Kinda doesn't work, really, when there's concept arts of Brawl (under the working name Devastator). If it was meant as Megatron, it would have been labeled as such.

14. Fit For natalie

News Credits:
    Then your theory is wrong.

Megatron's design was more or less finalised (to the point of having a colour reference guide for visual effects and licensing artists) by May 2005.

Brawl's robot mode was completed in January 2006. Brawl wasn't even called "Devastator" then. The art was just called "M1 Tank Bot".

15. Digilaut

Digilaut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Terrorcon Blot is right. The reason Brawl got a Leader wasn't because it was originally Megatron's mode. It's because Hasbro decided who would get the deluxe/voyager/leader treatment working off the script.

In the script, a character like Bonecrusher appears, and dies. But then they started using the Bonecrusher footage in practically every trailer and commercial, so he looked like a big player.

Reading from the script however, it made perfect sense that Brawl got a leader toy -he does some badassery in the city, then he gets back up for another scene..then comes back for ANOTHER scene in which he meets his demise by Bumblebee. Granted, a character like Blackout would probably have more screentime of badassery, but this is all reading from the script, in which timing and character placement are different.

16. webz

webz Banned

Ebay:
    whatever. You are not involved in the discussion.

Umm, if you bother to pay attention, Jazz and Ratchet attack Brawl and are overwhelming him. Then when Megatron lands in the alley, You hear Brawl's voice cry "Megatron" for help, since the Autobots just cut off his hand and thrashed his shoulder canon.

Well, then I want a Leader class Frenzy, because he was the Decepticon with the most screen time of all. In fact, I want him to become a real GPX boombox. And to shoot razor discs from his chest.

17. Fit For natalie

News Credits:
    As Megatron lands in the alley, he says something, not Brawl. You can see his mouth moving and everything (no, this is not the close up of his face immediately after),

Now you're being silly. Brawl was of approximate "leader" scale (in terms of movie design and approximation of on-screen size) with Prime and Megatron. A large Frenzy would be something like a Supreme or "ultimate" class that isn't scaled to anything, but is merely "big".

18. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's very weird, you don't see the most accurate Starscream ever as Starscream? :sly2: 

19. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Proud grandpa

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think he means Leader SS is too chicken/monkey looking and not humanoid enough to be a Starscream.:lol 

20. jadtdt

jadtdt Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ...Now, the reason I would suspect Brawl got a Leader toy is because kids like tanks, and kids would like a big old toy of a transforming tank. Starscream might not have gotten one back then because they already had a Leader that was a silver Decepticon plane and didn't want to double-up on similar(ish) designs in a crowded size-class. A green military land vehicle would have added variety. A helicopter would have too, but I think Hasbro was thinking toyetic-ness, not screen time.