Pick up a random toy you haven't played with for a while and tell us about it.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Lothar Hex, Dec 6, 2016.

1. Lothar Hex

Lothar Hex Perverted Sociopathâ„¢

News Credits:
    So noticed one of my display toys had fallen over and knocked some others out of line. As I was tidying them up my hand came to land on DOTM Skyhammer, you know, this guy:
    [​IMG]

Honestly I forgot how good of a toy this guy is. Great looking in both modes, fun transformation, great head sculpt. Hell he even fits in with my generations voyagers. He and Tomahawk are the standards which I judge other copter-formers by. However the one sour note is that fucking Mech Tech weapon. The only one I've ever seen look fine was DOTM Shockwave. Others just look daft. Skyhammer's gun is just far too big in robot mode and just looks daft as hell on the chopper, I'm on a constant lookout for a replacement. Had him with Prime Arcee's gun for a while before moving that to FoC Soundwave then to it's current place with CW Onslaught.

2. Magnahide

Magnahide Maximal Commander

With the new "Laser Optimus Prime" coming out I decided to get my Reveal the Shield Optimus Prime out, because I remembered him being awesome.

Honestly after like 5 years in storage I thought he wasn't as great as I remembered him. His right shoulder has that peg sticking out of it that really limits his shoulder movement. The wheels in his legs like to slide out and droop down when you fiddle with him. The gray piece that contains the "fenders" for the rear wheels (which is on his back in robot mode) doesn't secure properly in vehicle mode and just sort of sticks up. Also his sword doesn't really fit in his hands and it feels like it could break his hand if you mess with it too much. The doors on his arms aren't the worst kibble I've seen but they don't look that great and can get in the way of certain poses. On my figure the ball joints in the hips are also rather loose and his knee joints are very tight, which can be annoying when posing him. Really it seems like he has tons of joints but they can't be fully utilized because of the shape of the figure. His transformation also seems more frustrating than it is fun (but don't even get me started on ROTF leader Prime). To boot the Hasbro version uses lots of amber translucent plastic which looks awful, and the front of the cab is black and the other half is blue which makes it even worse. Takara did a way better job paying homage to the original toy and using colors that actually work together. The bulkiness of his legs and shoulders plus the stubbornness of the ball joint his head is on (at least on my figure) make it difficult to get good looking poses out if him, IMO. I think if he had been done in a larger class it would have helped this figure a ton. But I know HasTak has to do a "cheap Optimus Prime" deluxe toy every so often for parents that can't afford a $25 action figure.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  3. general saberwi

general saberwi legoformer

I pulled Armada Laserbeak out of my bin of TF stuff. I sold of a lot of my Armada stuff a while back, but this guy wasn't one of them for some reason. Probably because he ain't worth anything. Good grief, this thing sucks. He is, without a doubt, worthy of his appearance on Plastic Addict. Looking at this pile of crap in hand, I have got to say, the head/camcorder front makes no sense no matter what mode he's in, the blaster mode is stupid, and is the reason for his obnoxious color scheme. He also has no real poseability, and I'm just thinking, couldn't they have made this guy cool if they had focused away from gimmicks for one freaking second? But, he's still built better and has more paint than anything on the shelf today, which is kind of sad.