Physicists claim time travel possible using String Theory

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MetalicGrunt, Nov 28, 2016.

1. MetalicGrunt

MetalicGrunt Rust Proof Commando

News Credits:
    Physicists reveal sensational findings which could allow science fiction dreams to become reality.

THERE are multiple timelines playing out in parallel universes, according to a team of researchers.

The sensational claim was made by a team of physicists, who believe that the parallel universes can all affect one another.

The team’s ‘Many Interacting Worlds Theory’ provides a whole new perspective on the ideas underpinning quantum theory, a notoriously complex strand of physics.

Professor Wiseman said: “The idea of parallel universes in quantum mechanics has been around since 1957.

“In the well-known ‘Many-Worlds Interpretation’, each universe branches into a bunch of new universes every time a quantum measurement is made.

“All possibilities are therefore realised – in some universes the dinosaur-killing asteroid missed Earth. In others, Australia was colonised by the Portuguese.

“But critics question the reality of these other universes, since they do not influence our universe at all.

“On this score, our ‘Many Interacting Worlds’ approach is completely different, as its name implies.”

According to the theory, our universe is just one of many enormous worlds, with some identical to our reality and others completely different.

The Express reports that the worlds are all real, and all on the same timeline, but interact when they essentially bump into each other.

Dr Hall believes that the group’s sensational theory fits with current scientific understanding, offering a new perspective rather than rewriting the physics rule book completely.

He said: “The beauty of our approach is that if there is just one world our theory reduces to Newtonian mechanics, while if there is a gigantic number of worlds it reproduces quantum mechanics.

“In between it predicts something new that is neither Newton’s theory nor quantum theory.

“We also believe that, in providing a new mental picture of quantum effects, it will be useful in planning experiments to test and exploit quantum phenomena.”

Time travellers could use parallel dimensions to visit the past, scientists claim

The Official String Theory Web Site

Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
  2. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Okay...? Why is this news? The concept has been around for decades. The math involved is definitely beyond my comprehension, but this article seems to hinge on their word alone instead of providing any actual discovery.

• Like Like x 1
  3. marvel b

marvel b Bearer of the Matrix of Smash

News Credits:
    please don't.....we f'd up our world enough, please don't mess up others as well.....

4. Rodimus74

Rodimus74 Well-Known Member

I saw the words string theory and immediately thought of Sheldon Cooper.

• Like Like x 3
  5. prfctcellrulz

prfctcellrulz Pokémon Trainer/WWE Champion

News Credits:
    Same and I also have this to say:

GREAT SCOTT!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Crockett

Crockett natural bodybuilder

Good. Send me back to 1994. There's people I want to tell off (and possibly beat up...).

7. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Some other time..

News Credits:
    So essentially he's just saying that upu can "Time Travel" by entering an alternate universe at a different point in time?" I thought that was obvious. You can't travel through time so you have to exit it, then re-enter at a certian point. It makes it so much simpler if it's just another universe.

Thats just how I've always looked at it, but if theres something I've not grasped or got then someone please inform me.

8. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If they can enter another universe at a different point of time, could they just turn around and reenter our universe at a different point of time? So time travel in our universe using a workaround.

9. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

Technically, forward time travel is possible. It's going back in time that is still up for debate. While not technically traveling through time, it is important to remember that the faster one moves towards the speed of light, time slows down for that person, and they age slower. Similarly, higher gravity could also have that affect on an individual like the one planet in Interstellar. In addition, there is a lot of talk about wormholes being methods of time travel if they even exist (which I think they do but nowhere near us at the moment).

• Like Like x 1
  10. prfctcellrulz

prfctcellrulz Pokémon Trainer/WWE Champion

News Credits:
    If it is possible one place I'd go is 1939 and buy 5-6 copies of Action Comics #1, then come back and put 'em up on eBay.

• Like Like x 1
  11. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Why is any time the prospect of travelling between worlds, be it through space or time, there's always people who claim we'd "ruin" them? What about those worlds ruining us? Who's to say there's not even worse, more destructive beings out there in the assholeverse ready to kick down our sandcastle?

Do humans just subconciously glorify ourselves that much?

12. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They'd be worthless just bringing them back. Nobody would believe they were real. Just a reproduction less then a month old. You have to age them. You'd have to rent a bank vault or somewhere else to store them for 81 years and leave them in there. Now when you get them out in 2016, they have aged the 81 years.

I'd probably invest in companies. Get that worthless Apple stock from the 80's. Come back. Profit.

13. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

I'd go back and figure out how they really built those damn pyramids.

14. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Would love to visit parallel Earths with alternate histories. Imagine worlds where:

• Columbus' boats all sank before reaching the New World
    • Lincoln successfully persuaded Robert E. Lee to fight for the North
    • Hinckley successfully assassinated Reagan in '81
    • Slavery had been abolished in 1789
    • The Roman Empire never fell
    I'd waste ten lifetimes just jumping around other Earths seeing how different outcomes to historical events affected history.

15. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Some other time..

News Credits:
    Thats never going to happen though. Normal people would fuck shit up beyond belief. Plus even if history is was different life would more or less be the same. People always think about how other universes can be so different. I'm more interested in learning just how many are practially the same, and the probability of them being so similar to ours despite some historical changes.

But yeah even if we achieve anything close to this technology I'd hardly doubt any normal citizen would ever be given a chance to use it. It would essentially be in the same postion spacd travel is in now.

16. Sylent

Sylent Making Cybertron great again

Bazinga!

17. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke Flynn Lives

Time travel is a drop in the bucket compared to the vaster implications of string theory, If you could ever manipulate strings you would never need to travel in time. You could just make reality whatever you wish it to be.

But that's just a theory.. a string theory..
    ;) 

18. EnergonWaffles

EnergonWaffles Autobot's Head Chef Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    I think people who want to travel back in time would reconsider once they got ill and saw the medical care available.

"Head ache?"
    "Let's punch a hole in your skull!"

"Feeling tired?"
    "Here- chug some mercury!"

"Sprained your ankle?
    "Nothing better than boiled toad water!"

"Got a burn? No problamo- here's some goose poo to rub in it."

• Like Like x 1
  19. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Nah, that's just the AMA at work, and the pharmaceutical companies would then find a way to charge astronomical amounts for frog water and goose poo.

Every time one of these articles surfaces, I have to wonder about the think tank that publishes the research. Even more interesting than the outcome would be the discussions themselves, because with subjects like these, nothing would or could be considered preposterous.

• Like Like x 1