Phoenix Wright--anyone else have it? Opinions?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by mag_jr., Apr 9, 2006.

1. mag_jr.

mag_jr. <B><font color=red>TFW2005 Article Guy</font></B> Veteran

I managed to find a copy of Phoenix Wright at a Game Crazy about 25 miles from my house (the only Game Crazy in the area, AFAIK). I'd been searching for this bad boy for a couple of months (not avidly, mind you), but the recent news of the reprint spurred me on.

I got lucky--they had one copy. The display copy. Although, since they don't use price tags, and it was up on a shelf behind the counter, the case is nice and clean, and the game is in good shape (although, since there was a save on it from early in Chapter 1, I'm assuming an employee or someone did get to fool with it).

Anyway, I'm pretty jazzed I found it, and it's a pretty fun game so far (although shouting "Objection!" into the microphone makes me feel silly... I'm definitely not playing this on trips, or around other people at all). Of course, I have a soft spot in my heart for text adventures, and that's just what this is (a pretty good one, too).

Digression: Anyone else getting old PC game flashbacks with their DS, between this and Trace Memory?

Anyway, I did a little research earlier, and was surprised by just how tiny the print run apparently was--supposedly around 30,000 copies. I knew it was rare, but not that rare. Who else has the game? Did you find it difficult to get? (I know I did--I wasn't willing to buy one on eBay for that very reason, and it kept selling out on walmart's website.) Do you also enjoy it?

2. peeman

peeman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have it and love it i got it on ebay.co.uk before it came out in the UK for £20.08 and it would have been £30 if i had brought it from the uk when it was released (the item was an american version)

i've yet to get objection to work for me when i shout it , it might be because of my brittish accent however i think i prefer to just press the buttons

I've yet to finish it but am loving it so far

p.s have you got trauma center? whats that like?

3. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

reprint?

And I've been looking for this game for months.

4. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    My brother's got this, he speaks really highly of it. He prefers the buttons to shouting objection too, incidentally.

5. Xcandescent

Xcandescent TRUKKS are the new MUNKYS

Dear Capcom:

Please consider renewing Phoenix Wright for a 2nd season.

Yes, I said "season", not "sequel". If there's a game that's more obviously tailored to episodic content, I haven't seen it. Plus, the low graphical content would make writing more episodes per game a reasonable proposition.

Besides, you're Capcom. You guys made beating sequels to death into an artform. Dead horses tremble at the mere mention of your name. Surely, a second season of Phoenix Wright with 13-22 episodes isn't too much to ask.

Also, pattern the in-court puzzles after Episodes 1-4, but keep the nifty new tools (fingerprinting, Luminol) from Episode 5. By which I mean: the first 4 episodes had logical puzzles that required a bit of thinking. Early in the 5th episode, there are two in-court puzzles that made absolutely no sense, even when you had the correct solution.

Also, if it is not cost-effective to stuff lots of episodes into one game, I strongly suggest considering episodic content. The PC is ideal for this -- and while I'm loathe to recommend it, Steam does exist as a working system to deliver such content.

-XCN-

6. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

its really fun...can't wait for the next installment...

7. mag_jr.

Capcom apparently released more copies of this game near the end of last month; there was an article at Gamespot about it on March 12 or 13th (I can't remember exactly), which spurred me to keep an eye out.

Walmart.com periodically restocks the game; that might be your best bet. They sell out quickly, though--I was going to order it there, but every time I got paid, they sold out, only to restock after I was broke... :banghead: 

peeman: I don't have Trauma Center, but I know someone who does, and I'm hoping he'll let me borrow it when he's finished it. Looks interesting.

Also, yes, I've started using the buttons. I have to admit, though, it is kind of fun to shout at your DS, as long as nobody's staring at you :lol 

Xcandescent: There are two other games in the series already, for the Japanese GBA; I'm kind of hoping Capcom will see fit to do a compilation/port to either the GBA or the DS. If they can do 10 million versions of Street Fighter 2 and Street Fighter Zero/Alpha 3, then they can do 2 PW games for the West, surely.

And, yep, still really enjoying this game. This is the most refreshing thing I've played in ages.

8. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

I have never seen this game on the shelves. It sounds fun, but too many other DS games have broken my wallet already. So this, Castelvania, and Traua Center have been sacraficed for other stuff. :p  If I can find it around my birthday time, I might be inclinde to pick it up though. :D 

9. Xcandescent

Xcandescent TRUKKS are the new MUNKYS

WOOHOO! :rock 

Actually, wait -- you said for the GBA? Were they prequels? I know the version we got was basically 4 GBA eps + a new DS-specific episode, but I'm a little surprised more exist on the older platform. Not complaining, just surprised.

-XCN-

10. mag_jr.

I'm assuming they're sequels to the first four eps, because the two games are numbered 2 and 3.

I'm hoping Capcom will see the light and do a DS comp (even if there weren't any DS-exclusive eps, I'd be happy just to have these), or at least some kind of GBA double-pack thing. I read somewhere about PW for cell phones, but those might be cut downs of eps that are already on the DS version.

11. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

Nintendo or someone is making a game sorta like this one (lawyers and such)...hopefully it'll be as good as PW...

12. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

i want to pick this up. i wonder f game is open on easter firday....

13. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I heard good things about it as well. I'm gonna borrow that and Trauma Center from a friend in about a week or so. I can't wait.