Peter Cullen And Frank Welker Comments On The Future Of Transformers Live Action Movie Franchise

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by SilverOptimus, Aug 27, 2019.

1. Mechabreaker

Mechabreaker Dead horse beater

I had the pleasure to meet Peter with my boys at Comic-Con Revolution in Ontario, California. It was one of the most joyous experiences of my life, and he's just a sweet guy and seeing my boys' faces light up when they heard the voice of Optimus during his panel, it was just magic. I was, like Peter, happy to see a character that meant so much to me on the big screen in live action, but dismayed over the way he was written, too aggressive and violent, I am really happy that they are going back to more classical portrayals of Prime and Megatron, and I am looking forward to the next film post Bumblebee.

• Like Like x 3
  2. fu2kimus

fu2kimus Well-Known Member

I understand your point of view. After all this time though I’ve had enough of G1, I grew up with it, loved it at the time for sure, but then other things came along and tore up the rule book, and made me love them more movies included.

If the movies go full on G1 we’ll have got basically every form of tf media at the moment apart from rescue bots being a full on G1 reboot. Just from a visual stand point that’s very boring.

I’m not against a few nods, and a more light hearted tone, but I think I’m more worried visually and in terms of design than I am about borrowing story elements.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Venixion

Venixion Resident Feather-brain

News Credits:

I now demand a TF comedy with Frank Welker wearing different costumes, voicing a bunch of Transformers a'la Eddy Murphy's Nutty Professor. :lol :

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  4. Autobot Jamie

Autobot Jamie Well-Known Member

We've been getting OP vs Megatron in Bayverse too. I think people, including myself, just think that sticking to G1 when we have a lot of media is the wrong way to go.

• Like Like x 2
  5. stad

stad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm not sure where you get 2 years from, G1 was much longer than 2 years.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Seth Sunthay

Seth Sunthay ElusoryMonk

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    We've got to remember, G1 IS still the most iconic part of Transformers (regardless of quality), these two have been here since decades, it's hard to blame them for having good memories of their old work.
    Not to mention, It seems they've got more happy with the direction of Bumblebee regarding character.

• Like Like x 9
  7. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Blue=Sarcasm; Purple=Snarkcasm

They're just resetting. Cyberverse is already expanding to include several non g1 characters, not to mention SLIPSTREAM was one of the most prominent and interesting characters in the first season.

WFC has some non G1 sprinkled in already and I'm sure that'll keep up. Plus there's the Beast Wars 25th line in 2021 that's been rumored awhile could still come to pass.

• Like Like x 2
  8. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    I think he means that those were the two years of the G1 series that the original fans are the most fond of.

• Like Like x 2
  9. NOCV

NOCV Cretin of Kaon

News Credits:
    All hail Welker!

Hasbro, Paramount, and future rights holders: employ these men, and their comrades, as long as they still function.

• Like Like x 2
  10. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's not really correct. G1 has outlived ALL other iterations. G1/G2/BW/BM are all the same universe. Heck, IDW even continued it in the comics.

RID? 1 year. Unicron Trilogy? 4 years, over 3 cartoons. Animated? 3 seasons. Prime/PRID? 5 seasons. (Technically 4, breaking up season 3 to be partially played out in a direct to video movie isn't really a season.)

G1 ran from 1984 to 1987 over 3.1 seasons. BW ran for 3, BM for 2. That's 8 seasons to complete the G1 universe. All others haven't even come close to that run. It was fine and overly acceptable for two generations to become Transformers fans. Now, all of a sudden they're not good enough anymore? Bull. You're fixated on an incorrect number of years, and have a romanticized vision of what came after and let me tell you, it can't hold a candle to G1. No one's willing to actually look at it as it really is.

Michael Bell was angry years ago that he and the rest weren't hired to do voices for the movies. When the voice actors are saying "this is wrong" then it's wrong!

Welker doesn't need our money. He's rich! He's in everything. (No, seriously.) If he's saying "let's do this" then he's doing it out of love, not money. He'll get paid, sure, but the want is coming from his heart, not his pocket/wallet.

Bingo. Most of it doesn't stick because it deviates too far. The worst was when they made Megatron a complete moron and Optimus a murderer. That's what you get when you stray too far and try new things that don't stick. Things that do: Characters like Animated Lugnut, etc.

Work with what does work, stop going back to the well of what doesn't.

8 out of 35 years. 9 of bad movies. The rest filled up with filler lines. G1 works because it was consistent. Those 9 years of movies? Inconsistent even with each other.

Corey Burton will never come back, he doesn't want to do that voice anymore. He's stated this. It's part of the reason Jon Bailey provided his voice in Bumblebee. The rest, though? Yes, please!

• Like Like x 7
  11. bman29

bman29 Dancitron

Ebay:
    I attended the show over the weekend and the highlight was meeting Peter Cullen and seeing the two of them together at the panel. I appreciate what they shared there and I really wonder the franchise/brand is going to be in the next five years as a whole. I think G1 era needs to be honored and the Bumbler movie tried to do that, but it fell short because it was originally a prequel to the 2007 film. So for all of its G1 nods and flavor, it felt very disingenuous. This was the producers trying to hit that nostalgia button that Hollywood seems so persistent in hitting for financial gains. Which I can't blame them but its overall leading to bad storytelling and erosion of pop culture as a whole.

But I'm sick and tired of Bumbler the family dog routine. Its not cute anymore. Its become a detriment to the character and like old Yeller needs to be put down. Reboot the whole damn thing at this point. Do a full on PG-13 CGI film set on Cybertron and then lead into something taking place on Earth in a sequel. Get the audience invested in the Transformers as characters first before jumping right into the human element.

12. Rodimal Rodimus

Rodimal Rodimus Agent of Unit:E

Not everyone as you may think. I grew up with the likes of RID'01, Animated, Prime and the Unicron trilogy, and I do agree it's wise to start back simple and to basics. It's called a reboot for a reason after all.
    And let's not pretend this is the first time the franchise had been "rebooted", which it isn't. After the mixed bag that was Beast Machines, Hasbro/Takara sought to start fresh again with a new continuity with both Car Robots and the aforementioned Unicron trilogy.

Pretty much given, since that's where the toys, comics and cartoon had its roots. Everything that you may consider non-G1 or post-G1 still took influence from the '84-'92 era, some way or another, all the while inventing new things of their own, from characters to worlds and other elements in the lore and mythos. Therefore, each creating their own identity, still remaining relevant and bringing in newcomers (hell, take a look at Hasbro's other big franchise MLP). Not matter what one like you may say, they always try to go back to basics. They always take from G1.

Everyone grows up, and so should the things we grow up with.

Over all, I appreciate the optimism, pardon the pun ^^, and it's equally important to be realistic as much as idealistic. And in the end, we're talking about a toy franchise, a toy franchise that keeps going a long way and I too hopes it continues not its success but also its artistic integrity.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Hypixler

Hypixler Member

Man I am so excited for the future of the movies!:D 

• Like Like x 2
  14. JoshimusPrime93

JoshimusPrime93 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Much like what KaijuGuy19 said, Paramount really can\'t afford another slip up like The Last Knight. Bumblebee is what got Paramount out of hot water. It really does put a smile on my fave when Peter Cullen and Frank Welker discuss the future of the Transformers Movie Franchise.

• Like Like x 4
  15. convoy84

convoy84 misses you like the deserts miss the rain.

News Credits:
    I'm sayin'! I want my generation's Transformers. Give me Transformers for this decade the same way we got Marvel for this decade.

16. Hadlen_Weltall

Hadlen_Weltall Gunpla and Cow Master

I'm happy Cullen and Welker are happy. I remember reading his post-production interviews over the Michael Bay era and he seemed very distraught about how violent they scripted him. "The Optimus I know... doesn't act this way."

• Like Like x 8
  17. Reask

Reask Predacon

Eh, as long as Beast Wars is still viewed as a G1 type of property for most people I can get behind this.

18. DarkRed401

DarkRed401 Well-Known Member

Welp this thread is going to devolve into g1 good all else bad and vice versa

• Like Like x 5
  19. Hadlen_Weltall

Hadlen_Weltall Gunpla and Cow Master

Yessss...... and should Beast Wars ever come up for film discussion, then Gary Chalk, David Kaye, and especially Scott McNeil be considered for their original characters as much as we place Peter and Frank in their respective roles.

Beast Wars we all know is rooted in G1 but at least we have an appeal for the period of the franchise. I loved Beast Wars more than G1 at times, but you can't deny the longevity of the original and you can't blame people for not really being on board with BW because of how it was made and when.

• Like Like x 4
  20. Autobot Jamie

Autobot Jamie Well-Known Member

Yup. I guess saying the movies need to be their own universe like they have been instead of being like the bumblebee movie was is hating on G1 instead of thinking how to makebit do not one fan base is focused on more than others. I've found it's having a director that doesn't care about transferring period is the problem not cause these movies aren't 100% focused on G1.