Peter Cullen And Frank Welker Comments On The Future Of Transformers Live Action Movie Franchise

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by SilverOptimus, Aug 27, 2019.

1. SilverOptimus

SilverOptimus Movie News Monster Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
  2. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Blue=Sarcasm; Purple=Snarkcasm

They\'re Geewunners too eh?

jokes aside I\'m glad Peter is finally happy with the Optimus material he\'s being handed.

we all know how we felt about \'GIVE ME YYER FACE\'

its a testament to his talent and decorum that despite his loathing of the lines that he was able to deliver such strong, menacing, and truly worn down performances of a \'Broken Prime\' 

• Like Like x 21
  3. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh, boy.

That's a double-edged sword. On the one hand, this is great to hear and I love that they acknowledge us.

On the other hand, the later generation fans who grew up with everything but G1 will gnash their teeth and become angry about this.

Welker and Cullen aren't wrong, though. G1, is arguably, the most lucrative version of Transformers to this date. It's time for the films to cash in on that. When a Bumblebee flick is considered a success (even though by most accounts it's not in terms of sheer numbers) simply because the previous film tanked the entire franchise of diminishing returns, that's a sign you need to take a different path.

Bumblebee embraced G1, it worked with both audiences and critics. It worked because they went back to basics.

• Like Like x 22
  4. MehWave

MehWave Well-Known Member

"I think the more that’s expressed to the powers-that-be at Paramount Pictures and Hasbro, the more they understand Generation 1 is the heart and soul of their industry will they become convinced that going back to the roots would be the answer for the continued success.”

Fat chance of that message getting through. But of course, worth a try. What do we have to lose, fam?

• Like Like x 1
  5. fu2kimus

fu2kimus Well-Known Member

I love Cullen, and I grew up with G1, but that’s the last thing I want. Bumblebee was great, but not because of the G1 nods, it was great when it did it’s own thing, and that’s what I want from future movies.

• Like Like x 9
  6. Venixion

Venixion Resident Feather-brain

News Credits:
    To me its more about embracing the iconic, rather then sticking to the original. And you can still embrace roots while evolving the characters and stories and adding the new. Even if the new isn't always to someone's liking. Its something all of us need to be reminded of now and again.

We're all guilty of digging our heels in at some point and whining about it. :oops: 

Honestly for the most part, Transformers has done a marvelous job of this. There were some stinkers and some baffling decisions made along the way, but that's to be expected of any long-lived series.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
    • Like Like x 25
  7. Autobot Jamie

Autobot Jamie Well-Known Member

Problem with this is that it\'s saying only G1 fans matter. 2 years out of 35 years matter. That\'s why I think they should stick to what they\'ve been doing; taking ideas from all media. At least for me, DoTM felt like a take on the G1 episode \'Megatron\'s master plan\' TLK took the idea from Prime that Earth is umicron. The first is the classic \'Autobots meet human(s)\' 2 & 4 I think are new ideas. The first movie had G1 characters but in a new cinamaverse style. Since there\'s several versions of many characters, I think a new cinamaverse look is the right way to go. Useing characters from all media and yes including bringing back Bayverse characters I feel that's more middle group nds between all fans instead of thinking G1. I feel I must add that I love G1.

• Like Like x 7
  8. B u m b l e b e e

B u m b l e b e e Bumblebee

News Credits:
    For me personally, after Bumblebee, we should just start from scratch. There’s so much potential for great stories and characters. But I feel with the past films, it brings forth a lot of confusion and lowers the possibilities, especially with all the disgruntled continuity.

Of course, I want Hasbro and Paramount to take their time. No need to rush.

• Like Like x 10
  9. Venixion

Venixion Resident Feather-brain

News Credits:

And yet plenty of new things have been tried, even if they don't always stick. And some do stick. BW still gets love, Animated/Prime's general artstyle is prevalent and the movieverse has gone on for quite a while.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  10. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 4
  11. Jochimus

Jochimus Sandwiches? Blimey, whatever did I give the wife?

Yeah, I can see where their sentiments, heartfelt though they are, can cause some ire.

I don't mind using G1 as a sort of starting point, but moving forward from that point within the same story framework wouldn't be a bad idea, either. Yeah, we got back Ratchet, Ironhide, Arcee, Wheeljack, Brawn, Soundwave, Starscream, Shockwave, and Ravage. Now give me Side Burn, Sky-Byte, Hot Shot, Tidal Wave, Safeguard, Lugnut, Bulkhead, Knock Out, Strongarm, and Steeljaw while you're at it.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
    • Like Like x 5
  12. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There's new leadership in place. Clearly, they're listening now.

That, right there, is the biggest problem we have had all along. We never had a G1 film. Bumblebee is the closest we got, but even then it's a Bayverse prequel reworked into a reboot. (And no, we're not debating it, Hasbro and the producers have confirmed multiple times it's a reboot going in a new direction.)

What we got was something that made abominations of G1 characters by using their names but not actually being them. They turned Optimus into a stone-cold murderer. He went past killer and started planning the deaths. He killed a human. Was it more realistic? Yes. Was it Optimus Prime? No. It wasn't G1. It took the Transformers name and twisted it to fit Hollywood's view (at the time) and wasn't much like the TFs you and I grew up with.

We should get at least one legit G1 film and see what happens. IF it fails, then we can move on and try something new.

I think more people are afraid it will work because we'll keep getting Optimus and Megatron and they can't even fathom we could have them AND new characters introduced. The other movies made our world view so small and limited, even though the flicks were on a massive scale.

• Like Like x 13
  13. Autobot Jamie

Exactly. I have an idea to try to balance this but I've already been told it's F1 or screw the movies. Sad some dabs think 2 out of 35 years matter more. It's not new to me. I deal with this being a fan of the rock band KISS but I'm sick of it.

14. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I honestly agree with what he's saying.
    But, for the most part, I just want movies that have likable characters, entertaining stories, and don't contradict things that have been done in prior movies, or even the movie you're currently watching.

If they can do that while also giving us Corey Burton as Shockwave, Greg Berger as Grimlock, Michael Bell as Prowl, and Frank Welker as... everyone else (I kid) then all the better.

• Like Like x 6
  15. Primus Omega

Primus Omega Well-Known Member

I honestly was not a fan of frank voicing megs....didn't sound right in the movies. I think Hugo weaving did a much better and menacing job.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Blue=Sarcasm; Purple=Snarkcasm

Almost done with Marvel US and UK G1. It is definitely superior to Sunbow and BB leaning into THAT early Budiansky feeling is one of its greatest strengths.

I hope someone at Hasbro or Paramount is wise enough to realize this and plan a new TFCU hitting all the major Marvel G1 notes.

The MCU owes its success more than anything for leaning into the classic hero arcs from those treasured vintage epics. To replicate it, Transformers should do the same while of course, taking a few liberties and sprinkling in many more fembots and post G1 characters also.

A background Seeker resembling Armada Thrust and two female robots including a fun OC in BB seem to indicate that they are aware of those mitigating factors around leaning into G1.

• Like Like x 7
  17. BIOMEC

BIOMEC Terrorcon, aka "Ratchetman"

I think that cater to the older geewunners is not going to work in the long run when de G1 fans start to become "less abundant".

The Bayverse has a lot of fans too, myself included, I also grew up with G1, but I am so tired of blocky goofy designs. At least on the big screen, I want my transformers to look cool and menacing. Bayverse Shockwave is waaaay superior to what we saw in the Bumblebee movie, that thing was a joke...imo.

But yeah the Bumblebee movie, story wise, is way superior to the Bayverse.

• Like Like x 5
  18. AOEGalvatronRox

AOEGalvatronRox Collector

News Credits:
    I respect what Frank Welker and Peter Cullen have said. And if what they said excited people, then that’s totally awesome.

However, for me, this isn’t exciting at all. As I’ve said several times, this brand has 35 years worth of history. Not only G1 and the Bay films, but Beast Wars, the Unicron Trilogy, Animated, Prime, RID, etc. Yet only one of those things gets pretty consistent acknowledgement. As I said, it’s cool that there are folks who find this exciting. For me, it just isn’t.

• Like Like x 14
  19. Autobot Jamie

Honestly I'd say it's the fact that we had a director who's a fan of Transformers since apparently Bay hated transformers and therefore didn't care.

• Like Like x 3
  20. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    It's great that both Cullen and Welker are happy with how the Bumblebee movie did for them and for the people who grew up with G1 and that Paramount's now more willing to stick to the new direction that Bumblebee set out

But I also have to echo what some people are saying here when it comes to feeling like they're acting like it's only the G1 era and it's fans that matter and nothing else. I know that's far from what they mean and don't get me wrong I know that's not the case. But still it's not hard to get a sense of that especially in a time where Hasbro's pushing for everything to be G1 nowadays which doesn't really help the people who want something else besides G1 feel any better about it.

Not to mention there's a possibility that Paramount may end up taking the wrong lessons from the Bumblebee movie and think that it's only the G1 love letters that people love while ignoring the rest of what also made the Bumblebee movie so loved. Sure the G1 elements were fun to see on screen but those weren't the only things people love about the film. There's only some many times you can go "back to basics" before adding something else to it otherwise you'll end up repeating the same thing people hate about the previous TF movies which is giving us the same story/thing over and over. I hope Paramount take this in mind since at this point they can't afford another bomb especially with how the Bumblebee got them out of the trouble TLK put them in.

• Like Like x 4