Peter Berg Blames THE AVENGERS For The Failure Of BATTLESHIP

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by OmegaPrime22, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Some other time..

News Credits:
    what about the Joes? oh wait The "Rock" and Bruce willis in next one? with Seven Nation Army as trailer song?:jawdropper: 

2. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

like i said in a different thread, why is bruce willis NOT playing duke? :lol 

he even LOOKS like duke!

3. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Really, I could have sworn that after a decently plotted, well scripted and we focused movie about an ensemble cast of very different characters doing all sorts of amazing things came out, no one really felt the need to go and see something that was creatively stagnant, pretty but shallow and featured only one decent talent and was shamelessly riding the coattails of something else.

The Avengers sunk your Battleship, Mr. Berg. Learn from it, and go forth to make better movies.

4. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Some other time..

News Credits:
    Agreed

5. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Man, if u told me back in mid 80s that david addison would end up as prototypical grizzled grunt while arnie is a bureaucrat whos thick around the middle id never believe you.

6. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    cant wait to see Hungry, Hungry Hippos

7. Omnius

Omnius Guest

News Credits:
    You sunk my Chitauri!

8. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Peter Berg your an idiot. You made a shitty film based off a board game with no real plot or charecters and then force in Aliens.....What the hell did you expect.

Maybe if you released this in the fall/wainter maybe you might have had some success.

9. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think the person to blame is the dude that decides on the release date. I mean why would you release a movie based on a board game around the same time as the Avengers, Spider-man, and Batman? Seems like a guaranteed fail. This should have been released in Late Winter or early Spring.

10. transformervic1

transformervic1 HI!

News Credits:
    It's his own damn fault for releasing the movie after avengers

11. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

Is everyone bad-mouthing the director's comment just sore at him for dissing on Avengers, or are they genuinely upset with his comment due to it's lack of logical common sense?

I mean seriously, let's take a moment and step back here. Internationally the film Battleship did great, it did enough to cover the cost of making the damn thing. So why are they complaining?

Because in America it tanked like hard cheese in a lactose intolerant digestive system? Ok, seriously, I liked the movie. I did not think it was a cash grab at something related to Transformers. If anything, the film was doing the best it could with a non-existent story line. If anything I'd liken the film more to a Transformers Clone than a Knock-Off. You've got the alien invaders, you've got the romantic sub-plot and you've got the hero of the day being the non-conformist who gets the hottie admiral's daughter as a bed mate.

There's comedy relief, which thankfully is less craptacular than the lowest common denominator type of comedy Bay is in to, and then of course there's the kick arse soundtrack made by the same guy who did Transformer's score even.

So what was wrong with Battleship in America? It wasn't because of The Avengers like this director thinks, no way had it anything to do with that. It was the fact that the American movie going public wasn't marketed to properly with this film. I'd wager that played a small part in 'sinking' this franchise at the box office.

It's like cult classic sci-fi movies of the 50's and onwards, Battleship will probably develop its own cult following, there's nothing wrong with the film as far as a film goes, if you can get past the dumb notion in your heads that it's based on a 'Board Game' I mean seriously Clue did alright at the box office and that was based on a board game. Granted it had great talent working on it from the start, but Clue and Battleship are two different types of board games.

If you want to see Battleship being more realistic, just go out and rent one of those classic WWII Era films involving the navy. We've seen that, done it already numerous times before, and a lot of those movies still hold up today as being the best of the best when it comes to that type of film. I applaud the creators of Battleship for going a different route rather than slapping another feel-good WWII era film out there.

It failed however for a reason, marketing didn't do anything truly good about the film in American's eyes. The Avengers came out and ruled the box office with an iron fist, that was to be expected, blaming them for doing what they were expected to do is the most childish thing you can possibly do. Another factor may have also been the number of people involved with the script, those credits at the beginning showed what? Four different writers on the project, sure sometimes that works, but four people have four seperate ideas how a story should go and if they can't all mesh those ideas together cohevisly sometimes you get situations like this, where some of the story feels flat to the audiences' way of thinking.

Not that I felt the story was flat or anything.

You know, if Battleship had been from the POV of the aliens we probably all would be singing a different story right about now.

Anyway, forgive my semi-rant here. I liked the movie Battleship when I saw it, I felt it did what it set out to do. It's not like the film makers ever lied about wht the hell kind of movie they were making, or where their source material originated from. The biggest problem was Battleship was an original concept wheras Avengers is an already established part of a cinematic world that doesn't appear to be going away any time soon. If you seriously had a choice between new blood and experienced veteran, what would you choose?

12. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    Battleship was doomed to suck. It's just a fact.

13. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Looks like the Avengers...

*Puts on Sunglasses*

:cool:  Sunk their Battleship.

[​IMG]

14. PRIMEMAN3457

PRIMEMAN3457 Leader

News Credits:
    I see what you did there....

15. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Well, he's right. You can't reasonably expect a shitty movie to be profitable when released at the same time as a much better film that targets the same demographic. People are going to go see what looks like the more enjoyable film, and even in trailers that was Avengers.

His "I know you guys are out there spending money. On Avengers. A lot. Can I have some? I want to make another failure." comment was pretty pathetic though.

Yes, Avengers has become quite the cinematic Dreadnaught, a Destroyer of other films at the box office, even without having to leverage all of it's stable of characters (such as Namor the Submariner). I imagine the Avengers franchise is going to be treated as a Carrier for the Disney/Marvel movie agenda from here on in, and the inevitable sequels will be set on Cruiser control, probably introducing characters who will have their own spin-off movies. Patrol Boat.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  16. Squee

Squee Well-Known Member

WHAT?! I was just gonna pitch this script to Hollywood.:( 

:lol 

17. ABH1979

ABH1979 Veteran

He's right.

It's totally unfair when your shit movie has to go up against another movie that's about a billion times better... :rolleyes: 

18. Sonscreen

Sonscreen Casual TF collector<br><b><font color=#FF0000>aksm TFW2005 Supporter

This was funny. I would much prefer a riveting tale of Monopoly.

19. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    Too be fair, Pirates of the Caribbean was a massive success despite being based on an amusement park ride. You really don't need a deep, well-established source to make a decent tie-in movie; if anything that would free up a lot of creativity.

Blaming a big success for your own failure is pretty weak. While Avengers played a part, it's hardly the only factor here.

20. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    He can blame Avengers all he wants, and I wouldn't care. I find it stupid that he doesn't take the common sense of why the movie really flopped. It sucked. Aliens had nothing to do with the boardgame. They would have been better if they just made a movie about battleships fighting each other. It had nothing to do with Avengers. They could have released it BEFORE Avengers came out and it probably STILL would have sucked.

It's about as stupid as saying: "this movie will suck because Michael Bay is directing it." Yes, I went there.