personal opinion on repaints

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by newguy, Mar 16, 2008.

1. newguy

newguy i

I personaly think that repaints are good for hasbro and takara, but its getting really stupid. What do you people think?

2. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    There have been some really nice repaints lately, like the Target movie scouts and the Walmart movie deluxes. The Premium Series are nice too, especially the upcoming Megatron.

It's not like in Armada and Energon where every character had a PAWAH-UP! at the end of the series, just to sell the same toy in obnoxious new colors.

3. Basketball Jones

Basketball Jones Decepticon

There's nothing wrong with selling the same toy in obnoxious new colors, but the new color scheme should be a separate character.

It would be nice if the designers were more creative in their names- why does red Bumblebee always have to be Cliffjumper? Can't he ever be Overdrive, Windcharger, or Lightspeed?

4. Deadsled

Deadsled Energon Recovery

News Credits:
    personally I'm only interested in the molds, painting the same thing 6 different ways to "pad the roster" has never settled with me

5. Switchblade

Switchblade Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Necessary evil. Hasbro wants to recoup as much money as they can from a mold, so they repaint them. Sometimes they're good, sometimes they suck. In the end, no one is forcing anybody to buy them, so why bother complaining?

6. Malach Ra

Malach Ra TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I guess i like them, I am a collector of lucky draws. also i think repaints are best when they repaint the fig to look like a G1 character. I always think thats pretty cool.

7. Robimus

Robimus Wanna'be Cassettebot

News Credits:
    Repaints for things like the Classics line can work out pretty good, esspecially if they can flop a new head on them. I don't mind the repaints but certainly don't buy them all.

8. Rend

Rend Decepticreep Killer

They've been doing repaints since the G1 days with Prowl, Bluestreak, Smokescreen, Starscream, Skywarp, Thundercracker, etc...

Get used to it. They can make more money with less overhead when they reuse molds. This is a fact in the production world, and don't expect to see Hasbro change it anytime soon. Because if they were to always put out individual toys they would have some serious overhead. Which doesn't look good on paper for the big wigs. :p 

9. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    Repaints are a scam to get us to buy the same toy over and over. I'll have no part of it anymore.

10. Chaos Convoy

Chaos Convoy Dai Gurren-Dan member

News Credits:
    At least most, if not all of the repaints in recent years have been good. Some have been really great. Back in the days of Universe, the repaints weren't always that great. In fact, a lot were pretty horrible.

Granted, the amount of them can be a little annoying sometimes. But like I said, at least most of them are good-looking repaints.

11. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits:
    *cough*seekers*cough*

12. salmonman78

salmonman78 That's MR. Magnus to you all...

Alright, but gets old when ALL you see are repaints. Near the end of cybertron couple good ones but, eh, pass most of the time

13. Deadsled

News Credits:
    I guess that's my biggest grievence against repaints lately. it's several versions fewer figures, even in g1 the repaints were minimal and usually had a little scuplt mod here or there

14. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha Well-Known Member

I like repaints. Sure, they are a strategy to sell the same toy multiple times, but I dig 'em because:

1. Revenue from low-overhead sale of repaints finances new molds
    2. It gives customers more variety, and lets them pick from several color schemes for a given mold
    3. They provide lots of raw material for kitbashers and customizers, perhaps giving them a base mold that would fit their idea better
    4. They give folks a chance to get molds later that they might have missed the first time around
    5. They're a tradition dating back to Diaclone days
    6. Often the repaints looks better than the original color scheme
    7. No one's forcing anyone to buy 'em :) 

As an addendum, though, most of those reasons only apply to FULL repaints/recolors. That is, color schemes that are completely altered or made into new characters. I don't care for "repaints" like the Allspark-spattered movie deluxes. But then... that's where point number 7 comes in handy. :) 

15. red00wolf

red00wolf Insatiable collector

if a mold is good and the repaint is good ill get as many as are made.

16. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have no problem with them. I understand that they're necessary from a fiscal perspective to both recoup the cost of making a mold in the first place and to provide a revenue stream that allows the creation of new molds, some of which won't be repainted. In terms of the number of repaints we've seen lately of the Movie figures, from what I understand (and correct me if I'm wrong), Paramount has partial IP ownership of some/all of the Movie molds. Because of that, Hasbro's not going to be able to use these for repaints without having to pay Paramount (and likely the vehicle licensors) royalties; therefore, they need to get as much mileage out of them as possible now.

From a personal buying perspective, I evaluate repaints on an individual basis. If it's a good repaint, a mold I really like or a mold I passed/missed the first time, I'll pick it up. If it's a colour scheme I don't like or a bad mold, I'll pass. Like others have said, no one is being forced to buy repaints (or any figure, for that matter). Don't like it? Leave it on the shelf and save your money.

17. newguy

newguy i

thats a good point (im laughing)

18. Deadsled

News Credits:
    very true, and G1 was sitting on a previous stockpile of Diaclone molds. was pretty easy for them to put out such a variety as they did.

19. taterx

taterx Lurkin since Transfandom

I can dig it when it works like G1 movie jazz and best buy megatron.

20. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    I always thought Transformers was a cool toy line because of the repaints. It's one of the few toylines out there that will give you different color options while still keeping both versions interesting enough on their own, if you missed one you could still get it later, and if you didn't like the colors odds were you'd get an alternative. In recent years we've had repaints good enough to completely set them apart from their previous versions, Walmart Jolt is a prime example. It helps Hasbro recoup the cost of the designing and mold production, and it provides us more figures and options. There's no harm in not buying if you dont like it.

Cybertron was big on repaints for me. You had a lot of figures released in radically different color schemes that completely changed the personality of the toy. You had wild paint jobs with Hot Shot, Megatron, Hardtop, Cannonball, Skywarp, Repugnus, and more subdued colors with Exillion, Galvatron, Swindle, Red Alert, Thundercracker, and Undermine. Among those were also the difference between new characters and good homages, which include Crosswise and Smokescreen, Brakedown and Brakedown GT, and more recently Downshift and Big Daddy.

In modern times we see another option in upgrades, the Beast Wars 10th figures, Hasbro and Takara's versions, and the movie Premium figures gives us the chance to get better versions of our favorite toys without buying an expensive custom or attempting it ourselves and most likely ruining the toy.

Is it cheap? Yeah. But odds are without Hasbro repainting figures we'd only get a third of the toys we do now, and that doesn't mean they'd be any better, just fewer and farther between. They serve a purpose, and they help fans and Hasbro in the end. And if you dont like them... well, nobody forces you to buy them, right?