Person Seriously Injured on T3 Movie Set

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by SilverOptimus, Sep 1, 2010.

1. Cyber Star

Cyber Star Well-Known Member

unfortunately people sue all the time in america for stupid "just because" reasons and win, its all for the money these days it seems :( 

i dont want a lawsuit at all against paramount or whoever, but i hope that they at least pay the medical bill and hopefully that will help avoid a lawsuit

2. Bgrngod

Bgrngod Autocon

News Credits:
    People do indeed sue all the time for "just because" but they never win for that reason. Cases where someone wins a lawsuit always have very valid reason often due to negligence on the part of the defendant. Our court system is fantastic in this regard. Most of the news coverage about frivolous lawsuits is when such lawsuits are filed. They are hardly ever followed up on about what the outcome was whether it was thrown out or ended up having merit.

Yes, this is costly, but only to the parties involved. The courts get paid just fine for their services.

To say that having a giant metal cable almost decapitate a person is a "stupid 'just because'" reason for a lawsuit is pretty ridiculous. It's inevitable this family will sue where a court case will reveal the facts about what happened.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  3. Cyber Star

i can see where your coming from on the first paragraph but i never said that i thought that they (the extra or her family) would be sueing for a "stupid just because" reason!!! thats stupid! the first part of my previous statement above was me just reffering to many lawsuits in america in general saying that stupid ones do happen alot! it had nothing to do with the TF extra injury case nor did i direct it at her case!! you read my post above wrong on that one cause i totally dont believe her reason is "just because" if she or her family did choose to sue.

4. Bgrngod

Bgrngod Autocon

News Credits:
    The context that you replied in suggested that you might have thought it was for a stupid reason and she should take whatever money they offer for medical bill coverage.

Thanks for clarifying that misunderstanding.

5. Cyber Star

i sure hope i did o_o i replied to that dude on his "just because" statement. i didnt mean in any way to leave something rude if it sounded that way

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  6. Rogzilla

Rogzilla Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    That's great. Glad to hear that.

Man, that video revealed nothing! Also, they say she was in a 2006 Nissan but the police report says it was a Toyota... Not that I'm expecting that much journalistic integrety from a tabloid site but seriously guys, really? I'm really dubious as to their "source" as well. *shrugs* Much more interesting read, I suppose, if the producers are being painted as big, bad, money grubbing characters.

7. Anguish

Anguish Active Member

Depressing. I'm not optimistic by nature but this doesn't sound promising.

She's twitching arms and legs while she "sleeps" a couple days after whatever happened to her? Sorry but this isn't a story that's going to end happily. This poor lady is going to end up having to re-learn which end of a spoon goes in her mouth.

I'm not apportioning blame. I'm just saying she's not about to be declared "as good as new".

Terrible shame. She probably signed on for a few bucks hoping to get her face in a frame or two from a billion miles away and got a stray bolt pranged off the back of her skull for her trouble. Such a waste when you think... a tenth of a degree deflection in any direction and we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Good luck Gabriela Cedillo.

8. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    Yeah, I don't see any particular cause for relief in that report. There's nothing to indicate she's anywhere close to a full recovery, or if that's even a possibility. I dunno where the ludicrous idea came from that this is somehow 'frivolous lawsuit' material.

After something like that, you'd never be the same again. At the very least, her medical expenses should be fully covered, and she would quite likely deserve some form of additional compensation. If they are denied that, if the studio or the insurance are not forthcoming, I would not begrudge her family with any legal action they wish to take. Let's hope for the best possible outcome, whatever that may be.

9. Paxtin

Paxtin ...

It does seem a tad shady, but the vid did have audio of the guys being told that the crew was not to touch anything till police arrive. So if this is indeed the accident in question, then it doesn't look good. Because that is a driving stunt, and you don't put untrained extras into drving stunts.

I hope Paramount can get the facts straight, because this is just looking like it's going to turn out bad.

10. Bgrngod

Bgrngod Autocon

News Credits:
    I sure couldn't see anything in the video that suggested the person injured was in a "driving stunt" of any kind at all.

11. Paxtin

Paxtin ...

Depends on the context. A driving stunt doesn't always include things like ramps and fancy tricks. Some driving stunts can overall look farly mundane depending on the scene that's being filmed. But it can still be dangerous. Especially if you're working with things like pully cables and the like.
    No matter how mundane the stunt is, it's a situation in where, obvious from that video, things can go wrong. That's why you hire stunt drivers, who are trained to be able to react to a problem if it were to arise. Not everyday extras you hire off the street.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  12. stepsongrapes

stepsongrapes Well-Known Member

The text accompanying the video indicates that she was not a planned part of the stunt. Rather, she was driving her personal car through the stunt area for some reason. The story seemed to imply that some debris/cables from the actual stunt vehicles struck her car.

Details still seem chaotic, but according to that story at least, she was not a planned part of that scene.

13. Paxtin

Paxtin ...

Yeah, the info has really been chaotic. It is hard to figure out what is what.

This article is actually showing a driving scene being done on a closed off stretch of highway. So if she wasn't suppose to be there, then how the heck did she drive into a closed off set and into the actual scene? It just doesn't seem to make sense.
    And even if that is the case, that's still grounds for negligence of public safety.

I'd love for this to all be a big misunderstanding and for it to all end on one big positive note, but as of right now, my observation of the situation is that it is not a good one.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  14. jamjam101

jamjam101 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The misunderstanding is due to the multiple stories released by journalists and the one from PM. As long as they review the accident from multiple cameras (which I'm sure was on scene except the one Porche) and release an official report based on what happened, it may never end on a positive note - because someone is hurt...baaad.

15. marshall dusty

marshall dusty Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Bad news for Gabriela (extra) on the TF 3 set :( 
    Suit: Woman hurt in 'Transformers 3' stunt is permanently brain damaged - Chicago Breaking News

This gives us a better idea of what happened on the set, since a lot of information was blocked to the public.
    And according to a good friend who was an extra and provided a lot of footage, no one signed waivers when asked to be extras.
    Really unfortunate for the family and Gabriela.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2010
  16. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^ :( 

Brain-damaged means a lot of things, from "persistent vegetative state" (which will not be recovered from) on down. I wonder if she's recovered consciousness?

Not an expert, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were found liable for that stunt mishap. I don't see any reason why 80 extras in their own vehicles were required during a stunt shot, especially given that Mr. Bay likes to cut together action sequences from an enormous number of disparate shots anyway.

17. RebelMan

RebelMan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    still doesn't really clear things up though. it says a cable & bracket snapped from the stunt car & that the stunt car crashed into the guard barrier causing the stunt car to launch over the guard barrier & landing onto the hood of her car causing her injures in the accident, yet the way the article reads it also states that the cable & bracket system that became detached from the stunt car is what caused her injures in the accident as well. so what really caused the accident: the stunt car landing on her car? OR was it the cable & bracket system landing on her car?

probably cause they weren't getting paid to be extras is why they weren't asked to sign waivers encase something like this happened, really strange though cause if the crew & studios knew this would be happening they would want them to sign waivers just to cover themselves encase an accident did happen. doesn't matter now since Bay & the studios are getting sued & you know her family will be seeking all medical to be covered along with a certain percentage of the film's gross in order to be compensated for psychical/mental damages caused by Bay & the studios for this happening to her as well.

18. marshall dusty

marshall dusty Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    but it does narrow it down from a 'stunt going unexpected' (my own quote) to either the car or the cable and bracket. i was just thinking some sort of explosion and debris scattered around. etc.
    My friend as well as a lot of other extras did get paid.
    yeah. so disappointing.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2010
  19. RebelMan

RebelMan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    well then, Bay & the studios are beyond screwed since none of the extras involved with this didn't sign waivers

that's just :crazy:  & it also makes you think how many other times this has happened in Hollywood & the public has never found out about it at all

20. optimusprime42

optimusprime42 Autobot Leader

News Credits:
    whose the lawyer going after bay. paramount or what