Perfect Effect Warden (Fortress Maximus)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Reviews' started by LazyAza, Jan 21, 2014.

1. rkg123

rkg123 Well-Known Member

Ah + 1! I think it's awesome that he turns into a giant head! That's part of the main draw for me. Another car or plane or tank...meh...but Giant Head? Awesome.

BTW Great review of the figure LazyAza, thanks for all the amazing pics and comments on the fig! Well done.

2. LazyAza

LazyAza MMC color go brrrr

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    The reason I'm so down on his alt modes is because had they not focused on him becoming just a big head he could have turned in to something more like IDW Omega's tank mode:

[​IMG]

And I have been dyyyying for a TF that turns in to a giant bad ass monster tank for years and if this figure turned in to one I reckon he'd sell quite a bit more.

3. Lodril

Lodril Poet of Destruction

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    That just looks like Armada Megatron to me... and I've already got that mold in a few colors too many. Actually, that's also really similar to Prime's Shockwave. It seems like a thing we've got already, and moreover, not really how Fort Max is usually presented. Giant head, however, is basically just him and Beast Machines Megatron.

Obviously different strokes to rule the world, and all that, but for my money, while I'd have been much more reluctant to buy a giant super-tank-only version of Warden (even having seen it in person at Botcon), I pre-ordered it as soon as I saw it could turn into a head compatible with the original.

4. allew

allew Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    LazyAza thanks for the great pics. I'm really leaning on getting him now. If you happen to have an Energon Scorponok or Cybertron Dark Scorponok, would it be possible to see a comparison shot?

5. xueyue2

xueyue2 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    +1!
    We have a lot tank robots already!

6. LazyAza

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Gosh I wish, always wanted a version of that awesome mold. Keep meaning to grab one off ebay some day but haven't managed to yet. I'm sure someone who has one will take a nice pic of him next to Warden eventually though.

Both of those molds you mentioned Lodril are terrible and therefore I don't own them. I'd say the vast majority of tank figures are terrible because they either were modern figures with no budget and dumb gimmicks or old and dated. Their have been pretty much no tank figures at all in recent years that were genuinely great aside form classics Warpath.

So given that I could sure go for a big tank that was well made especially since no one, official or third party has made a decent big tank bot in the history of the franchise. I have my fingers crossed that MMC plans on making such a figure if they ever get around to doing IDW tank megatron.

7. lee9

lee9 Well-Known Member

A head is as good an alt mode as anything else. And a head for Fort Max - well, that's just thrilling.

8. Lodril

Lodril Poet of Destruction

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Armada Megatron was great! Well, for the time. It'd be nice if he had more leg articulation, but he was a fun toy to play with. That said, I definitely agree it would be nice to see someone take on that sort of Omega Supreme, or something else as a big menacing sci-fi tank thing. Galvatron seems like a likely candidate for that sort of treatment, and I'm betting FP's take on Hardhead will not disappoint.

Anyhow... all that's way off track! Thanks for all the pics though LA, I'm definitely looking forward to getting this thing.

9. allew

allew Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The mold is getting a bit up there in age but I still love it. I got the Energon Scorponok, Cybertron as Black Zarak (painted his head red and gold and gave him a red energon spear) as well as the Botcon Doublepunch in my classics collection.

Though that IDW Scorponok also from Perfect Effect that you posted about looks mighty interesting as well!

10. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    Same here. The tank mode is stupid, the head mode saves the day.

11. TCracker

TCracker R.I.P., 5/2019 Veteran

News Credits:
    This is my 2nd PE product after Aranea. While Aranea was good, some parts of the plastic leaves alot to be desired. There was some misassembly on my Aranea that I had to correct myself. Hence, my impression on Warden was not all that promising.

However, I went against my better judgement and I am glad that I did.

Upon receiving Warden, I was blown away on how he was packaged and the quality of box. The thickness was of MP box quality and professionally done with all the photos highlighting Warden's features.

But when I really freed Warden from the box, nothing prepared me no how awesome he looked and feel. The paint apps, the build quality and the tons of accessories made me think I am actually opened up a SOC. Part of me went to think that PE might have contracted the line that manufactures the Bandai SOC for Warden.

Never before I had a 3rd party toy that comes this close in terms of quality. FPs were good and they come to a close second, while others were just using average or sub standard plastics. But no. Not Warden. The plastic felt good and the die-cast on some parts of the toy sweetened the deal.

I played and took pictures but I have yet to transform him into his tank and head mode respectively because I need the time and space to play with it (which is quite difficult when you have to do everything in the house, which left me with only a small amount of time to take photos, let alone transforming the toy)

All I can say is, if PE keeps this up, they will have my money for more to come.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    I will give extra kudos points to the clever way his gun is secured in his hands. But perhaps the gun needed a 3rd handle.

I am a little puzzled why his gun does not either contain a rocker mechanism or light up feature it's plenty big enough to do so.

Oh and I can see upgrap potential with a modification design of the Fortess Maximus double cannon as an extra chest pack / back pack or other weapon - it might even compensate for his lack of more usable guns especially if it's designed to split up it could make two nice hand guns and perhaps something to bulk up the scout tank mode a bit too.

Oh and a nice little tip is to try putting those dangling rocket pods on top of the other pods as they can bee stacked in the back end of the vehicle mode - it make the tank look better I feel - it looks like anti-air cluster rockets then.

P.s. He has a great abs crunch and can hold the Dr Wu Matrix Blade well to.

13. TCracker

TCracker R.I.P., 5/2019 Veteran

News Credits:
    And he has excellent balance. You can basically pose him in any way you want. I never had such a god time posing a figure for a long time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Azrail

Azrail Well-Known Member

Did you get a Bio Card with yours as in your picture? I didn't get one and know others that were the same??

15. chuckcjc

chuckcjc Wheeljack Engineer Corp.

News Credits:
    I find this statement to be highly dubious. I have watched the transformation video, and I don't see anything that puts his shoulder articulation higher than the Datsan MP brothers.

16. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The only merit I can think of by which you can count Warden as having more shoulder articulation is by counting actual, physical joints, since Warden uses hinges and universal joints to obtain his range of motion, while the Datsuns have merely a balljoint and one swivel hinge.

The end result looks to be a similar range of motion, though.

17. crazee928

crazee928 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    geez, am I the only one that wants to buy him JUST for the head mode!? I see this as a giant robot head statue that can transform into a robot that I know nothing about, but man, $150? first world problems/dilemmas... I wonder what the secondary market for this guy will be if I get it and I ever need to free up some limited shelf space.

18. LazyAza

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Are their any other figures that can point almost their entire arms and shoulders straight upward like this?

[​IMG]

I don't own any of the mp cars so I have no idea if they can. Don't think I've ever seen them do it in any vids or pics so I suspect Warden does have much better articulation than any mp.

Their aren't any mp's with ab crunches, I know that much. And Wardens is ratcheted.

19. chuckcjc

chuckcjc Wheeljack Engineer Corp.

News Credits:
    WHO CARES? Put your hands down by YOUR shoulders, and now without rotating your shoulders at all, raise your arms up from your sides. You will see you can only raise your arms about as high as shown in Da Vinici's classic illustration. In order to continue raising your arms higher, you have to pivot your shoulders to do so. JUST like the Datsun Brothers. They can raise their arms straight upwards like picture that you have shown, but they have to pivot the shoulder joint to do so, just like a human would have to naturally. Warden looks freakishly un-natural in the picture you have shown.

Whoopie do. I have Warden coming in this week, and I gotta tell you, the ab ratchets were hardly the selling point.

Attached Files:

20. LazyAza

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I care because I like having as much range of motion in my figures as possible, the more the better. Even inhuman joints can allow for certain poses that are otherwise limited by mold details or other engineering drawbacks in figures that are comprised of a lot of varied shapes the human body does not have.

These are also robots, the idea of them being limited to human posability alone is silly. They don't have muscles or bones that will break when they rotate a wrist 360 or whatever.

But anyway it kinda just seems you're mad that Warden does have better posability than an MP and this is somehow a bad thing? is it because you said he doesn't and I proved you wrong and now you're mad about that? don't worry man it's all good. I say stuff I think is right that turns out to be wrong all the time and I don't get angry about that. You should be glad Warden can do more than say MP Prowl, not angry. Good on ya for buying him, he's an excellent figure. :thumb