Perfect Effect PE-DX-10 JETPOWER REVIVE PRIME

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Cheem The Rup, Jul 15, 2018.

1. dmarsee

dmarsee Minibot Action

Which flames did G1 Optimus Prime have, exactly?

Cool. I'd love to see that blue/red flame deco on a G1 figure.

Wait. Are you saying that the 2010/2011 figure is G1 Prime?

Again, not claiming that Primes haven't had flames. Only saying that *these* flames are intended to invoke Bayverse.

Ohhhhhhhh. You are saying that the 2010/2011 figure was G1. That's the source of confusion.

it might be useful in the future to not describe 2010 figures as "G1." Continuities certainly are complicated things, especially in TF ( Continuity - Transformers Wiki ), but by and large, when we refer to figures as "G1," we are describing the toyline from 1984-1990, and whatever reissues of those figures come later ( The Transformers (toyline) - Transformers Wiki ).
    If you want to talk about figures that came later (that look like the original characters), we often use Hasbro's "Generations" branding (or "CHUG") for clarity.

If the point is, "A CHUG figure had Bay-verse-esque flames, too, so all you anti-Bay-verse people can chill out," then that makes a lot more sense to me. :buttrock 

2. tigatron2002

tigatron2002 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    he is referring to g1 prime as the character overall, not any particular figure. i feel like that confusion is entirely on your part as his pov makes perfect sense. reveal the shield laser prime is an incarnation of g1 prime the character with bayverse influences

• Like Like x 2
  3. dmarsee

dmarsee Minibot Action

Reveal The Shield = G1. got it.
    Are G2 figures also G1?
    Are Siege figures also?
    ~~ Really, just about anything can be G1 if you want it to be ~~

4. tigatron2002

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    reread what i said very carefully and stop being willfully obtuse. the CHARACTER of g2 optimus is the same as g1 optimus. therefore the g2 reveal the shield laser optimus is an iteration OF THE SAME CHARACTER. no one is saying the 2010 figure literally came out between 1984 and 1990, but it represents the character of g2 optimus who is the same character as g1 optimus.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Weezie

Weezie Taking a break, back soon TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I hope we see more unique Chugs like this in future.

3P Chug will rise again!

• Like Like x 8
  6. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    While I don't own the toy, I have seen it plenty of times in person, and it always looked like flames to me. Probably just one of those things where people's brains interpret things differently.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Hexatron

Hexatron Plastic crack junky

G2/Lazer prime =/= G1 prime. That's like saying first movie prime is dotm or knight prime. Same character but different bodies/iterations.

8. tigatron2002

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    But g2 prime is the same CHARACTER as g1 prime, just like movie 1 prime is the same CHARACTER as rotf/dotm/aoe/tlk. The figures might not be the same, but the characters are

• Like Like x 2
  9. Hexatron

Oooooh okay, so if they made a TLK prime as a peterbilt it is still TLK prime. Got it.

10. Safeguard

Safeguard Autobot

Ebay:
    YouTube:
    He did have 2 different vehicle modes in AOE.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Hexatron

But neither was the long hood pete.........

12. Pcm979

Pcm979 Well-Known Mimber

Irrelevant. There is no such thing as 'TLK Prime'. There is 'Bayverse Prime'. He's been a Peterbilt, a Marmon, a Western Star, and even a strange metal asteroid thingy. If the Bayverse hadn't crashed and burned, he'd probably have been another vehicle at some point later on. All of those are 'correct' for the character, who is the same character regardless of body. You're slicing and dicing one character into multiples for the purposes of making a strange argument that essentially tries to remove the idea of homages as legitimate altogether. But on a board increasingly obsessed with screen accuracy to frankly obsessive levels, I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Hexatron

False. If hasbro marketed a figure as DOTM prime but it was a Western Star that turned into DOTM prime, I have a feeling most people would have a problem with it. To be clear, I have no problem with this figure having flames. But saying its okay for G1 prime to have flames because G2 prime does is stupid. Sorry, but its a stupid notion. Prime was also a proto in the first movie, so you're saying a TLK prime that turns into a meteor/proto (a state that body of that character was never in) is nothing to bad an eye at? If so I'll part ways and agree we have a difference of views.

14. Safeguard

Safeguard Autobot

Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Come on! We've got to get this right quickly and decisively. Lives are on the line. If we don't solve this argument I'll kill an entire bag of weasels with a spatula!

• Like Like x 2
  15. Pcm979

Pcm979 Well-Known Mimber

Another false comparison. This isn't being marketed as Movie Prime, it's being marketed as a blended homage, which Hasbro themselves does all the time. And even if your comparison was valid - which it isn't - appealing to Hasbro as an arbiter of accuracy in marketing is bizarre. How many Movie Primes have been painted in G1 colours, or in weird colours that were never on-screen, or using toys that look nothing like the screen versions, or are toys repurposed from different continuities? Are you outraged at all of them?

• Like Like x 1
  16. Hexatron

I specifically said " I don't have an issue with this figure having flames" I had an issue with the G1/G2 comparison, but it seems we have a difference of opinions. Take care!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Pcm979

Pcm979 Well-Known Mimber

I never said that you had an issue with the flames. I never mentioned them at all. I specifically addressed the comparison you brought up, re. if people would be upset if Hasbro made an Optimus that had a robot mode from one movie and an alt mode from another. I'm not sure if you legitimately misread my post or if you deliberately misinterpreted it - to be frank I'm leaning towards the latter, as acting as if I made a mistake allows you to bow out from the discussion on a high note - but if nothing else I'm inclined to take you up on your offer to stop here because I don't want to be a part of dragging this thread off-topic.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Hexatron

"This isn't being marketed as Movie Prime, it's being marketed as a blended homage" this is what I focused on. I think this discussion fell to the "no sense of tone" problem. I do appreciate and will take your point of view into account in the future man.

To get the topic back on track after my derailment, has it been said the actual measured height of the combined figure yet?

• Like Like x 1
  19. IceLaRoq

IceLaRoq Active Member

How are people still arguing with @dmarsee? What he is stating is, unequivocally, fact. The hot rod style flames began as a Prime design cue with Bayverse prime and their appearance on this Prime is, quite clearly, a reference to Bay Prime. That has been his point since the beginning. The G2 deco being "inspired by fire" is irrelevant to the point he is making. The Bayverse flames are, obviously, visually distinct and meant to be literal flames while the G2 deco is an abstraction of fire in general and not flames in specific. People have been wandering all over the place in an effort to not acknowledge what he is saying is true. Also, @metaphorge, the person who @dmarsee was originally debating, did not say "G1 character" he said,
    after posting a picture of the 2010/11 RTS Prime. The character continuity of G1 Prime had nothing to do with dmarsee's point. You will also notice that @dmarsee never debates the idea that other Primes have featured those same style of flames. He simply points out that the 2010/11 RTS Prime was released after the 07 Bay movie and that the flames featured on that toy were also likely inspired by the Bay design. "G1 character" isn't brought up until post 739 by dragga and his point is, again, irrelevant to the points that dmarsee was making. The deco on the 2010/11 RTS Prime has nothing to do with the G1 to G2 Optimus Prime character continuity. Dragga's post confuses the point dmarsee was making, lacks clarity in terms of the debate already happening and significantly moves the goal posts from the original debate. It is "needlessly obtuse" in reference to the original points made.

• Like Like x 3
  20. metaphorge

metaphorge Decepticon

News Credits:
    Precisely.

• Like Like x 3