Perfect Effect PE-DX-10 JETPOWER REVIVE PRIME

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Cheem The Rup, Jul 15, 2018.

1. dmarsee

dmarsee Minibot Action

Cool. Please show us the G1 and G2 Optimus Prime figures that had flames like this before 2007. I'm very curious to see these.
    Because the image you shared as from 2010/2011, *after* the Bayverse prime introduced the stylized flames.
    Transformers (2010 toyline) - Transformers Wiki

Last edited: May 6, 2019
  2. Requiem Prime

Requiem Prime Well-Known Member

The chest is because the robot was based off their prior Jinrai upgrade for PM Optimus. The stylized faux chest with the truck face on the back was required because the truck had to house a powermaster sticking out of it. Since this guy doesn't do that, I'm glad they added extra transformation to compact the truck away. I question if they would have done this at all if they didn't have an otherwise basic prime to work from, so I like to think of it as just another homage stuffed into this guy.

G2 truck and trailer - Ginrai-ish robot - Movie Jet Prime combined. The jetboard might be new.

• Like Like x 2
  3. metaphorge

metaphorge Decepticon

News Credits:
    This is completely not confusing if you remember this is a substantial retool of a cab for TR Powermaster Optimus/TL Ginrai, which ALWAYS has faux chests in small robot mode.

...and that has what to do with anything? You'll have to make up some point to have proven, since you have none thus far. To wit:
    I highlighted the salient part since you apparently missed it.

Last edited: May 6, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  4. BlueAngel_Bolt

BlueAngel_Bolt I'M REALLY FEELING IT

News Credits:
    Okay fuck it i'm sold

• Like Like x 4
  5. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Here's the original G2 Laser Rod Optimus. While it's hard to make out. Those are actually flames. It's got this weird blurry gradient thing going on, that's hard to photograph.
    4433[1].jpg

As for the movie style flames on this figure. I'm actually kind of mad they might be gone. I thought it gave the figure more character. I do wish the cab had them too, though.

• Like Like x 3
  6. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    The fact that there was an Optimus design that was a long nose truck with flames on him before the 07 movie came out honestly makes the whole hate fest towards the flames and long nose truck on the original Movie Optimus design because they felt it wasn't based upon any previous version to them more ironic now.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Safeguard

Safeguard Autobot

Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I think hating on anything this trivial to be pointless and unnecessarily stressful.

• Like Like x 7
  8. kronatron

kronatron Well-Known Member

Not to mention how it detracts from the beautiful aesthetic and engineering beauty that this figure is. I wasn't going to get it as I've got the BB movie and already preordered the SS version with the trailer...but it's too damn glorious to just let it go.

• Like Like x 8
  9. waffel

waffel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm all in on this bad boy, this thing just looks so cool and is exactly what I want more of from 3P. Cool robot inspired by transformers. Perfect, put it in me

• Like Like x 3
  10. dmarsee

dmarsee Minibot Action

I’ll try again.
    You cited “G1 and G2” as evidence that stylized flames area part of Prime’s aesthetic.
    You used, as “proof,” a 2010/2011 figure, who used the flames from Bayverse as an added element to show that “G1 & G2” used those stylized flames.
    I’m just pointing out that your “evidence” doesn’t support your story.

Nah, I saw you try to move the goalposts. I mean, we agree that there are non-Bayverse figures that use those stylized flames after the films came out. So... congrats?

As a owner of the figure since it was on store shelves, I can tell you that the gradient doesn’t contain any invisible stylized flames on this cab. The toy looks just like this photo.

—————————

Again, I’m not making a value judgement here. I couldn’t care less of you like it or if you don’t.
    I’m just saying that, if you think the flames are based on some pre-Bayverse precedent, I have yet to see a single example.
    But hey, maybe I’m wrong. I’d love to see it, if it exists.

11. AspiringCreator

AspiringCreator Well-Known Member

Oh totally, I will say I adore the design. It's a great hybrid of the two designs and if Bumblebee was more about connecting to the wider Bayverse than doing its own thing? I mean I would've liked this design.

As for the faux chest really it's a matter of I'd say size and also engineering. This figure is going to be about the size from the looks of of their Jinrai which was not overly small but still it was pretty tiny which means they only have so much space to work with and on top of that, you have the Jetpower/Jetwing thing. One of the biggest problems with making a Transformers toy is that you realize you don't have any sort of magical powers to make kibble go away or for parts to be manipulated EXACTLY how they are in the show and at certain sizes you may realize going for a certain design element may resort in things either feeling too fragile or clunky so in my honest opinion? I'd say for its size Perfect Effect really did the best job they could've.

12. Dragga

Dragga Well-Known Member

I would actually argue that the gradient is worth counting, but as a very loose technicality. Though I'd sooner point to that very toy showing Optimus has at times had a pretty outlandish sense of design since he put the actual flames on his trailer with that big deco of himself using a flamethrower and "OPTIMUS PRIME OCTANE". Also the Hero figure had a very fire inspired set of stripes on the truck nose.

But, I will agree that the clear flames is definitely to invoke movie Prime, and since G1-ifying Movie Prime and his Jetpower form is the outright intent here, it makes sense they're present. Loud decos aren't new to Prime, but it's definitely fair to say these particular flames are purposefully there to represent movie Prime.

• Like Like x 1
  13. dmarsee

dmarsee Minibot Action

I think that the minute we start to say that PE JetPower Revive Prime’s deco is more in reference to the G2 red-to-black gradient than the Bayverse red-to-blue non-gradient flame deco is the minute when design loses all meaning. But that’s just me. ;) 

You have a good point about the “Octane” illustrated sticker on the trailer. And you’re right that PE JetPower Revive Prime’s flames look absolutely nothing like those. That’s why I was specific when referring to the “stylized” red/blue flame deco on the cab. :thumb 

14. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I'm not trying to troll, and I honestly don't want to join the flames\no flames debate.
    But I've had that figure for decades and I never considered those flames and I still don't.

I always thought of it as a gradient color fade.

• Like Like x 1
  15. DracoPrimal

DracoPrimal Maxicon

Wait, with the flame/no flame volleys I'm confused. Were ALL the flame decos removed? I thought they were still on the armor's chest, just not the cab torso... It seemed like a good compromise to me.

Best compromise for how the figure strikes me, really.

Almost like it's a self-contained "evolution" figure. Very G1 cab mode, regular bot mode not fully either G1 nor Bayverse with the non flame deco and [outer] shoulder mounted smokestacks instead of from his... um, maybe clavicles?... but lots of angular elements to his bot surfaces, then the fully combined form is very little g1 if at all (in my eyes), adding the movie flames with the very specific movie's corpse armor chock-full of panels and angles and weirdness.

• Like Like x 7
  16. Safeguard

Safeguard Autobot

Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I think this is what makes it such a good hybrid. We need to bridge the gap between the different fandom camps. I see this figure as the second olive branch, much like the Evasion Mode Prime, but better. I remember the old days of this fandom when the big issue was 'Trukk not Munky'. The animosity and sheer venom spewed has almost made this fandom unbearable. The trivial minutia about which we argue is ridiculous. People seem to debate just for the sake of debating.

This is a nice figure made by fans. We should be celebrating their ingenuity, not finding fault.

Man, what a ramble. I need to take my medication. :) 

• Like Like x 6
  17. Dragga

Dragga Well-Known Member

I mean, I'd still argue that the red gradient is very easy to see as a design with fiery intent. It might not specifically be the red and blue flame pattern, but it certainly does look a bit like you'd expect of a re-entry type burn effect. And paired with the tanker itself, it seems like the intent of "flames" is pretty solidly there, which is why it was a natural move later with the Reveal the Shield toy to just go with the movie-esque pattern to be clearly defined since the trailer isn't present with that big decal. The Titans Return toy had the trailer, so could go back to a more accurate gradient while keeping the huge shot of Prime torching things on the side.

Still, the design intent of this piece is clearly Movie Optimus mashed with Generation 1 (or, rather, Generation 2, since black trailer release) so ultimately the argument is somewhat redundant. But in the case of "Optimus never has flames unless he's movie inspired", it's still worth pointing out that he certainly did decorate part of himself with flames and fiery pattern/colors before the movie even with this toy clearly having the movie design as its intent.

• Like Like x 1
  18. dmarsee

dmarsee Minibot Action

Sure. No one is disagreeing that designs can be interpreted in many different ways.

Again, no disagreement that the G2 trailer had comic-book-y flames. But as you just mentioned, the movie-esque pattern is just that: uniquely/identifiably movie-esque. It was the movies that introduced that stylized presentation. And it is those red-blue movie-esque pattern being referenced here.

Sure. They can do whatever they want to. It's pretty cool that lots of stuff gets referenced.

I agree with the intent. My only quibble is the claim that Bay-verse stylized flames had nothing to do with this figure because of "G1 and G2." Because those style of flames are no where to be seen anywhere in G1 or G2.

Thankfully, no one is saying that.

19. Dragga

Dragga Well-Known Member

Then your point has been kinda pedantic and missing what was first said. It was purely that Optimus, as the G1 character, has had flames, and those flames in particular. Whether or not it came after the movie is meaningless if they've been present on a Generation 1 Optimus representation. Once that happens, it is no longer just a Movie Prime idea. And my points were that Optimus, even before the movies, was no stranger to fiery decos. I completely side that this figure is designed off the Movie design, but I cannot side that such flames are only Movie Optimus anymore because at least 1 release of the G1 character has used them regardless of if it came after the movie.

• Like Like x 1
  20. ZombieGavinS

ZombieGavinS Active Member

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Thank you so much for saying what I was struggling to put into words!

• Like Like x 2