Perfect Effect PC-21, PC-22 & PC-23

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by rob_charb, Jan 4, 2018.

1. Jmaster99

Jmaster99 Well-Known Member

Am I apart of the minority that thinks PE add-on kits are not only useless, but utter garbage?

2. Rewbot12

Rewbot12 Well-Known Member

Their use is just a matter of preference.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Kantus Prime

Kantus Prime Beast Wars Forever!

News Credits:
    I’ll use the purple set for Abominus 

• Like Like x 3
  4. rosewater

rosewater Well-Known Member

I got the Starscream set for my Thunder Mayhem. I was going to settle for a KO of the dark blue set, but the spiked knuckles changed my mind, as spiked knuckles are apt to do...

• Like Like x 1
  5. fafireguy

fafireguy Leader

Yes. Though many may agree that with POTP we didnt need them to form weapons like they do. If anything i am sad they dont keep the prime master gimmick. Though CW definitely needed them just to stand in any pose other than straight legged.

6. Matt_M

Matt_M Snarkabot

News Credits:
    Once I get a Grimlock, I'll see how much the torso gaps really bother me, but I have to say this photographs better than the unaltered combiner.

7. Lex79

Lex79 Well-Known Member

Their feet and hands literally gave new life to my combiners.

• Like Like x 4
  8. MastaBlasta

MastaBlasta Knight Industries Two Thousand

Its about preference. Some people would actually like there combiners to be able to stand up properly, or look a bit more lifelike.

• Like Like x 5
  9. AnnoyedRobot

AnnoyedRobot Talks about robots, useless at everything else.

To be fair, the 4 chaingun/2 rifle setup that Perfect Effect does with these combiner feet/hand reshells makes much more sense with Dinobots than giving 4 Stunticon team members chainguns and one guy two rifles, but it would be nice to mix it up and put in a pair of the Bruticus cannons replacing a pair of the chainguns.

10. Scourgatron

Scourgatron 4D Smart-ass

News Credits:
    I would've sold my Hasbro combiners a long time ago, if it weren't for these upgrades.

• Like Like x 3
  11. ProtectronPrime

ProtectronPrime Subjectively Objective

Ebay:
    The PE add on kits have a lot of pros and cons in my opinion. I like them, but they definitely have their issues. The weapon-hand-foot that comes with the stock combiners were a good idea in theory. They minimized the number of accessories you have to keep track of and Takara/Hasbro only really had to run the 3-4 different kinds of weapon-hand-foot, meaning they were a lot easier to mix and match. In practice, they came off as inelegant and clunky and were in some cases simply bad for the toy, insofar as they did nothing to help balance the combined modes of the figures especially with the more top-heavy characters.

In contrast, the PE hands and feet did a good job adding stability and dynamics to the combiners. They also look pretty nice in my opinion. Where PE went a little sideways in my opinion was the add-ons in excess of the hands and feet for the other combiners save Bruticus. The chest add on for Superion, as well as the engineering mess that went to Optimus and Menasor's ungainly back kibble was definitely a minus, and didn't really do much to fix their actual issues - the fact that the chest component figures didn't seat right with Menasor and Optimus. In addition the massive "plank"/shield they gave Silverbolt was uninspired. The only thing that these components did was make the combined mode more attractive which while nice basically ruined the voyager figure for anything else.

Arguably, PE really could have done a better job with the gun modes of the hands and feet. The heavy gun modes from the feet don't really match some of the figures and grossly unbalance some of them. Having four heavy guns and two rifles results in a really weird looking bunch of combiner figures as some guy is going to have to tote two of the big guns if you want to use all of the parts. Makes sense if you have Brawl in your group, less so for the Stunticons and Aerialbots. I own some of the earlier PE figs where they engaged in sheer genius with weapon storage/modularity. Makes me wonder why they didn't bother with making the add ons just a little better. I don't need them to break down into 600 guns, but they could at least folded up better or tabbed together cleanly.

However, the counter argument to the PE cons is that most people keep and prefer to display the combiners in combined mode. Once in that mode, all of the kibble and clunky weapon-parts are a non issue. The figures honestly look less goony with the PE parts in my opinion. As a result, I think they're a decent buy to punch up the line's main gimmick - the combiner. However, I definitely get how someone could perceive the PE parts to be kind of trashy with the benefit of hindsight.

• Like Like x 2
  12. neeral36

neeral36 The Lost Wrecker

News Credits:
    The prime master ports seem to have been relocated to the hips were there are additional pieces (white plastic in the pics) that allow the original hands to be attached there. This is an acceptable work around for me; I did not particularly see the wisdom of having them in the hands. A birdy told me that there may be 2 additional ports on the sword also; I have not been able to obtain verifiable confirmation of this so take it as rumor only at this point.

13. VenomGTSR

VenomGTSR Well-Known Member

Do you have both in hand yet? I like the newly designed version better than the older KO designs but if I can save $20 I'll do it if the colors match.

14. TargetmasterJoe

TargetmasterJoe Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    Does anyone else think the PC-23 bit makes Volcanicus rather chubby?

15. Monari

Monari Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm still holding out hope that we get an oversized Volcanicus from some 3rd party.

• Like Like x 1
  16. VenomGTSR

VenomGTSR Well-Known Member

I actually loved the Menasor torso upgrade. I thought the loss of articulation would be a problem but on my shelves I'm pretty limited on space so action poses are kept to a minimum. On the rare occasion I break a combiner down, I just take off the kits and put them in a drawer. I never bothered clipping the torso part in, so it comes right off. No kibble that way.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Naroki

Naroki Well-Known Member

If ankle articulation is ratchet, I do interesting.

But big sword ? no way Hasbro quality joint can hold it. it will fall apart, like hand is falling or the whole combiner can't stand at all.

18. w00t

w00t Well-Known Member

Try some floor polish maybe? It works wonders at tightening up Hasbro's loose joints, it works really well with ball joints. Apply a little at a time because it is possible to tighten them too much.

19. ProtectronPrime

ProtectronPrime Subjectively Objective

Ebay:
    That was my point! :D 

The PE torso add ons look great in combined mode - they are substantially less great in any other mode. Given I usually dislike having leftover parts that I can't use in other modes, unclipping the torso bits don't help my perception that the PE add ons make the combined figure look awesome, and that's about it. My real gripe as it were is that PE is clearly capable of better, cost increases notwithstanding.

20. jaws

jaws Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Volcanicus
    1. Definitely in for a set of the feet but they should be molded in same color as PC-09 Bruticus
    2. Sword almost looks way too huge for a combiner, need an actual picture
    3. Not sure about the torso set

Starscream
    1. Liking the new feet design
    2. Spiked hands not a fan of

The only bad point is I could see these hands in storage along with 5 other sets I don't use on combiners.

100_3544.JPG

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
    • Like Like x 3