Perfect Effect Leonidas (Lio Convoy)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by daimchoc, Jun 20, 2014.

1. banjoted

banjoted Timelord

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I've gotta says that despite my previously detailed reservations (lion head ball joint, abdomen joint) this is a figure I simply cannot leave alone. He still hasn't graduated from my desk to my display shelf because I want to keep playing.

I'm not sure if fragile is the right word. Weapon mounting pegs aside, I'm not really worried about anything breaking. And the poses you can pull off are simply wonderful.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• Leo1.jpg
      Leo1.jpg
      File size:
      218.2 KB
      Views:
    • Leo2.jpg
      Leo2.jpg
      File size:
      253.6 KB
      Views:
    • Leo3.jpg
      Leo3.jpg
      File size:
      276.3 KB
      Views:
  2. metalwar2010

metalwar2010 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Show off :p 

Great pics TCracker!!

3. madpanda

madpanda Well-Known Member

Been lurking in this thread for the past week, and had to chime in.
    I was concerned I might get a figure with issues, but mine arrived perfect.

This figure is great, PE constantly delivers for me.
    Things that I have noticed is that the shoulder joints on mine are tighter then I would care for, but not bad.
    The right arm on mine moves a bit more freely then the left, but has no problems with holding weapons and poses.
    I for one like the lion eye shield zoid esque thing going on, and my only compliant is that the eyeshield seems to secure onto the lion head a little lightly, and not as firm as I'd like it to.

The only other PE figures I have are the Superion upgrade kit and Guardian, and Leonidas blows them out of the water.

Kinda hard to compare Leonidas to 3rd party figures, to me he feels more like a Gundam Metal Build.

Also they provided 8 weapons on this guy, and he is able to load bear all of them at once. Great improvement when Warden/Guardian only really came with 1.5 weapons, the handgun it came with is a joke.

Buy this figure now, and hopfully you get a decent copy. For those of you that got bad copies, reach out to the retailer you bought it from or PE themselves and hopefully they take care of you.
    WITH any product you purchase, you run the risk of receiving a "lemon" and the figure or design may not have anything to do with it, and could just be a manufacturing issue. What defines a company in my eyes is if they will take care of their customers.

Oh and my Leonidas was pre-ordered day one with full payment upfront from The Chosen Prime (TCP). If some of you guys are scared to take the dive into 3rd party, give Brandon a chance and he'll take care of you.

4. OptimushedPrune

OptimushedPrune Impressive Member

News Credits:
    Warden came with a load of rocket pods too.

5. madpanda

You got me on that part. I guess I'm a bit bitter with having to buy the upgrade parts for a midsize rifle and MOAR guns for my Guardian. The rocket pods don't do too much for me. Leonidas upped my expectations for PE and now my Guardian seems a little lacking. Might be the new toy effect going on lol.

6. Rewind

Rewind Data Stick

News Credits:
    I have one massive issue with my Leonidas.
    It's still sitting at TFSource 4 days after paying them for 1 day shipping.

7. madpanda

Ouch that hurts. Raise some hell.
    I own numerous Gundam Metal Builds, Valkyries, and 3rd party TF's that carry a cost of entry greater then Leonidas, but he's my favorite figure until something dethrones him.

8. Deceptimatrix

Deceptimatrix Warrior Elite

Just got mine from TCP. This guy is amazing! I seem to have a perfect copy. No loose elbows and no broken tail. The shoulder joints were a little stiff, but I worked them in and they're good now. I'm extremely pleased with this figure

[​IMG]

9. MoonStreakr

MoonStreakr Heroic Decepticon

News Credits:
    [​IMG]So, after having problems with this figure, I managed to get a replacement copy, and I can say that this figure is definitely a mixed bag.

My new copy is free of major issues, however the joint tolerances are still all over the place with this figure. My first copy had a loose left elbow and on my new copy the same elbow is far too tight. On my first copy the shoulder joints were insanely tight, new one they work as intended and They're great. Instead my new copy has stupid tight hips. Caution should be used with the figure. The lack of screws in his construction make him very difficult to modify. He is very much like a gundam kit

Tolerance issues aside I am very happy with my second copy. Hopefully this post is helpful since I have now handled two copies with much different quirks between the two.

This figure is obviously sick, but his quality is a gamble.

10. daimchoc

daimchoc TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    I hope I can own this figure... someday... :) 
    Hopefully, before stores run out of stock.

11. OptionZero

OptionZero Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I wonder if the joint issue is due to different materials being used

Does anyone have this as well as Warden and other PE products ? Did they change their construction?

I don't have this yet but I recall Warden integrated metal well and the plastic was top tier. Paint was sick.

12. NGatron

NGatron Well-Known Member

...and the peg connecting the back to the sheath just broke off with just me carefully taking it off for transformation...

13. raziel689

raziel689 Well-Known Member

They could be out and not notified you? My gamer buddy in Europe per-ordered this figure for my Birthday way back in April. It processed Wednesday, shipped out Thursday (USPS didn't pick it up until late afternoon), then I received it Friday. She too paid for priority shipping. Funnily enough for me, TFSource is stationed thirty minutes from my house. If they allowed pickups I would have just grabbed it :D 

14. MechaFanboy

MechaFanboy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The metal parts in Leonidas are mainly used on load bearing areas; for instance, there are 2 metal posts over/behind the shoulders that supports the lion mane and head, the metal bits do not interact with the joints.

The varying tolerances could be due to assembly, some parts are probably over-sanded, while others are not given sufficient polishing ?

15. CybertronianFan

CybertronianFan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I finally opened up my Leonidas and I could not be happier with this purchase. I am sorry to hear that some have had an issue with a loose left shoulder. I can happily state that the one I got has no such issue. It's as tight as an elven arse! :wink: 

First thing I did noticed (after checking for shoulder tolerances) was that my fig tended to lean toward the left a tad much (gave the appearance that one leg was short than the other). I came to find that the foot placing was in an odd position from the package. Matching the footing with each other remedied this. This sucker is a heavy mofo! A full 14 oz. by himself without any of the accessories!! :eek:  The Lion head/right shoulder guard seems pretty tight and well held. I would have thought that the weight of it was going to cause issues. Thankfully this wasn't the case. I did my typical roughness test (check each of its joints, see how much it can take before it does that indistinguishable squeek warning you "hey! That's enough buddy, I'm not one of your dates!" :lol . It can take it pretty well, almost as good as (if not better than) Warden/Guardian. I've done the shake test (and I tend to be rough with my figs). It passed it like a champ! And, OMG, it is ever a gorgeous figure. So much so that I don't even want to add a faction symbol on him. I think it would take away from this fig's radiance!

If I had to nitpick about anything, it would be how I wished Lenonidas' thumbs were adjustable (even if just a tad) to give him a better closed-fist look to him. Other than this, this friggin piece is a true masterpiece (the ACTUAL term, not the trademark, you dolts :p )

Next test will involve the figure's tolerances in alt-mode, followed by how it handles its accessories in both modes (plus shake test), and then the my much anticipated FFVII:AC Cloud's Buster sword challenge (5 oz. of pure metal sword badassery!) both with and without his accessories :thumb 

This is my 3rd Perfect Effect figure purchased. I started with Aranea, followed by Warden, and now Leonidas. Each figure has surpassed the previous version in design, detail, and/or aesthetics. Leonidas, so far, has been an inspiring addition to my collection and has me eager with anticipation with what PE comes up with next :cool: 

Edit -
    First tolerance test - Failure: the tail/spear. Due to my own fault (for being tooo rough on the item), I did break one of the links on the spear. I truly believe PE predicted this by adding extra links for brutes like me. This by all means doesn't mean the links are super fragile as I was still able to twist, turn, spin, thrust, parry! (hah! brownie pts to those that get the reference) toss (yes toss, made a nice mark on my wall :lol ) and bend them. I purposely tested the tolerance on the link to see how far it can go. One has to know where to grab it and wedge in to separate the links. It's not a flower, but definitely not made of titanium. That being said, I am kind of surprised they didn't make these diecast instead.

16. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    I got mine, and the only thing I have is his ball socket hips are a bit loose. I am concerned about those tiny pegs used for the but plate and other connection points. Honestly, I think he is a wonderfully engineered product, but, at the same time he feels over engineered.

I think Perfect Effect's quality is awesome, but apparently some units have QC issues that could have (or should have) been caught and identified. They could have simplified the engineering a bit and still have had an excellent figure.

17. ninjaalamode

ninjaalamode New Member

Newbie to 3rd party stuff here with hardly any purchases under his belt.

Just recieved Leonidas today. He looks and feels amazing but the peg for one of his sheaths broke as soon as I rotated the sheath. The other peg for the other sheath was fine... But yeah. Sad life. The piece for his feet holding his toe joints was also angled to the right on both feet for some reason and would oddly try to reset to that position every time I moved it.

God this sucks and it happened to me right after getting a defective Revoltech figure, too. Both bought from BBTS at that... Already e-mailed BBTS about a replacement but won't hear back until Monday.

18. Jeremy.B

Jeremy.B Leader Blackout LIVES!!!

News Credits:
    Mines not fragile at all

19. CybertronianFan

CybertronianFan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Addendum -

Tolerance test #2: The sword sheaths - Here is the first true problem I've encountered with this figure and due to my experience roughhousing with Intimidator, Aranea, and several of the FoC figs, I'm glad I caught this one before something unfortunate occurred. The pegs to latch the sheaths CAN break off if one isn't careful with them. It is extremely and highly suggested to place the sheaths on before putting on that back piece onto Leonidas. This way one can grasp that piece and place the proper support on the piece while you add on the sheaths. Also, don't just shove the sheaths onto the peg. Slowly rotate the sheath as you push the sheaths gently onto the peg. This opens the hole somewhat (get your minds out the gutter :p ), but it matters little as the peg is lengthy enough to still hold the sheaths even if they become more loose (keep it clean, you know who you are! :lol ). This is yet another area I am surprised wasn't made diecast, but here much more so than the tail/whip. So far it is the only fragile encounter I've had with Leonidas. Other than, this he handles his accessories very well and continues to live up to the quality of Warden.

Tomorrow test # 3 :) 

20. Dreago

Dreago 3 whole bits!

Twitter:
    Quick re-request, if anyone has any tips before I just slap some nail varnish on there and keep everything crossed for success?

Soz for the spam, won't ask again :)