Passing collection to next generation?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by solskjaer, Feb 10, 2023.

1. BairdimusPrime

BairdimusPrime youtube.com/billythekidsnobullshittoyreviews

News Credits:
    My son gets all of my figures as they're replaced. We play with them daily, along with my figures. he's 4.5 now and understands which are his and which are mine. It's a wonderful bonding experience that I know he cherishes.

2. Hoffman

Hoffman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I could give 2 craps what happens to my stuff when I'm gone, I'd rather it not be a burden on my family/kids.

3. Vendace

Vendace Well-Known Member

My kids will get them, If they’d like them. Some things I may stipulate for them to sell, but at the end of the day they’re still toys and just a hobby.

I got into transformers with my dad giving me his G1 figures to play with when I got old enough, and now my kids play with the ones that are left and the ones I added from my childhood. It only feels right to keep passing them on

• Like Like x 3
  4. Kung Fu Roo

Kung Fu Roo Well-Known Member

Guess it depends on the collection. I think G1 based/styled collections die off and become worthless when our generation dies out. Well those that grew up watching g1 toons. Funny thing, bayverse stuff will probably live on longer.

I would have given you a hundo if you were in Australia

Im sure interest will peak a lil again when the next movie drops. But it doesnt help with the economy the way it is atm .

5. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    All I can say is I want to be as little a burden on my family as possible when I pass. I would hate to leave them with a mess of collectibles that they have to sort out and sell or get rid of. So, unless my daughter really wants my collection, I'll be selling them eventually.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Shaman

Shaman Well-Known Member

We're going through something similar currently...or have been for a year or so. My grandparents were a large influence in my childhood. They shared joint custody of me with my father. Visitation in place of my mother essentially. My grandfather (my grandmother preceded him in death) passed away in early 2021. I have his train collection. He worked for Southern Pacific and collected toy trains as far back as I can remember. 1000s of trains from all the various scales. I've collected toys, comics, etc. since...well...I turn 45 at the end of the month and rolled straight from playing with my toys to collecting them so...30...35 years now. I understand values, conditions, market conditions, etc. but selling his collection is so much more complicated than he imagined when he tasked me with what to do with it. Hell, it's more complicated than I could imagine and extremely overwhelming.

Not only is this essentially the essence of who he was in my possession but I'm tasked with what to do with that essence. Taking down his tables was traumatic in the sense that that was the final realization that I was saying goodbye. I don't have the oomph to sell it. I don't have the space to keep it. The key part that struck me though is...I don't like trains the way he did. I liked that he enjoyed his trains. Without him and his enthusiasm...they're just hollow trains. They're not him.

Then I looked at my collection (which is really too damn big) and realized that when I'm gone...I don't want my wife and kids dealing with something similar on top of everything else that comes with losing someone. I've been weeding through and trying to reenvision what I want from my collection for me. For now. Sell the rest. Pieces that haven't moved much beyond retail, or have depreciated, I've donated. Using the Transformers section (since we're here) as an example. My first MP figures were supposed to be few. Just something to sit on the shelf for a little nostalgia. But I couldn't hold back and have just about (last I checked and looked things over) all of S1 and 2 in MP scale and then another 40-50 beyond those seasons. Never transformed. I've no space. Left them in the boxes. They don't provide enjoyment there. Dan Larson (Toy Galaxy) did a series of videos (or maybe it was just one; I can't remember) about his collection evolving. He sold everything and revisioned what he wanted because we change over time. He's like on version three or four of his collection.

I'm evolving and maybe that is what you should consider. Evolving.

7. RyanCharlie

RyanCharlie Banned

I made a small fortune selling my parents vinyl collection and they aren't even dead. And I was stealing my mother's clothes and selling them to a local vintage clothing store until she caught on. Both of my parents are exceptionally wise in this regard, everything has been accounted for and has disposal instructions.

Should I die tomorrow my will has instructions on who to contact (Toy Pit in Indianapolis) to dispose of my entire collection in one go. I have a full spreadsheet for the entire collection.

Don't be a burden to you kids. They don't want your fucking toys.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Shaman

Shaman Well-Known Member

If I wasn't typing a damn book and being sentimental; and I knew anyone here well enough to know me away from the keyboard; this is what I would have said and saved me an hour of typing. Yea...