Passengers (Chris Pratt, Jennifer Lawrence Sci-Fi movie)

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by MTME, Jun 25, 2016.

1. MetalicGrunt

MetalicGrunt Rust Proof Commando

News Credits:
    Pandorum takes place at the end of the 22nd Century - Earth has 25.5 billion people on it, and its basically WW3. A Generation ship holding 60,000 colonists, plus crew sets off for a new planet found by a probe 25 years earlier - Earth is physically destroyed and said ship is the last of humanity anywhere in the Universe.- learn that in the first 5/10 minutes of the movie. Pandorum is the name for the mental sickness that happens when in space too long for certain people. Its based off the real world equivalent of HPNS -High Pressure Nervous Syndrome - which effects deep sea divers breathing in O2 mix at 500 ft or more depth- IE if you have seen the abyss, Michael Bein's character had it.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
  2. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    Looks... okay. I don't know, comparing the build-up to the actual reveal, I think they may have drastically overhyped this one. I like both of these actors, but it still sort of just felt like "Two Pretty People... Stuck On A Ship" vs. anything really thrilling or compelling. Based on that trailer, anyway.

3. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Weird, unconventional looking spaceship.

4. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    thoughts on the trailer:

Painting 'Jackson Pollacks' got old after a while.

• Like Like x 1
  5. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Doesn't this open up against a rogue One?

6. Wolfguard

Wolfguard Your own personal Jesus.

Yeah, if it was a horror-scifi, then I could agree with the "ripped" premise, but it isn't. Also, similar settings don't necessarily = auto-rip off. I have a story concept of my own which is in line with this, but there are more characters, a bigger ship, and other aspects (which I won't get into) which make the situation and setting unique, despite similarities with this and others.

7. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Christ I cannot think of a movie I'd want to open against less than a damn Star Wars movie. May as well write my self off as a loss now :p 

8. Wrecker217

Wrecker217 There's a 50 character limit to titles. Now you kn

News Credits:
    Passengers is released a week after Rogue One, so it'll be the movie to take your date if they want to see a romance instead of a space fantasy. It's a space romance, so it's getting the sci-fi audience as well as the "oooh Pratt and JLaw are hot" crowd.

I've read the script, the movie trailer, although giving off spoilers by showing more than it should (I wouldn't show anyone the trailer other than up to the ship going dark as Jim and Aurora hold hands), it seems pretty close to the original script. Hopefully it'll be as good as when I read it, I couldn't put it down until the early morning.

If you want, you can look for it online, it's been available for almost a decade.

9. VictoryLeo19

VictoryLeo19 Well-Known Member

I'll definitely see this. Deep space travel as a sub-genre is one of my favorite concepts in sci-fi. Although, I kind of liked the "twist" at the end of Pandorum. I doubt we'll see something like that with this film, but it could get interesting.

I still want to see a sequel to Interstellar. I think they could make an awesome movie with the concept of how much/little time has passed since the first film.

10. Mark

Mark Just here for the toys

Looking forward to this. They sure have been sexing it up in the commercials.

11. allew

allew Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Jennifer Lawrence vs Chris Pratt in "Playground Insults"

12. Wrecker217

Wrecker217 There's a 50 character limit to titles. Now you kn

News Credits:
  13. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Old):
    I was considering on seeing this next weekend, but I think I will see Assassin's Creed instead. A shame too since this looked promising.

14. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

From the trailer and TV spots I've seen, this looks terrible. No thanks.

15. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Proud grandpa

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Don't worry Star Lord, you still have GOTG to go home to.

16. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    The reviews are surprising.

17. areaseven

areaseven Live to Win

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Old):

"Would've been a better time if I was drunk (Yeah, now it's a party!)"

"C+"

Rotten Tomatoes Rating: 33% - "Passengers proves Chris Pratt and Jennifer Lawrence work well together -- and that even their chemistry isn't enough to overcome a fatally flawed story."
    Metacritic Score: 42 out of 100

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
  18. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
    Yeah I've heard terrible things about this. Stalking, entitlement. Yeesh.

19. Dio

Dio Scrapper

I saw it with my wife today and was pleased with most of it, but had a couple criticisms.

The good:
    The sci-fi elements are believable and well executed, with just a couple of errors that I was able to pick out.
    The scenery and special effects were excellent, no uncanny valleys or obvious green screening/CG.
    The early part of the film does a good job exploring the emotional state of the main character.
    No overt messaging or trying to make a point to the viewer - it's just an entertaining film.

The bad:
    I felt like they should have explored some of the philosophical concepts a little more than they did, but instead gave in and went the generic-action-hero movie route after building up some good potential early on. The movie opens some serious cans of worms regarding isolation and companionship, selfishness and selflessness, anger and compassion and forgiveness, but just sort of forgets all that.
    The scientific elements did seem to work very much to the convenience of the story, and at times were a little too deliberate. For example, one single person's sleep pod malfunctioning among thousands (the catalyst for the film) is hard to believe, considering how electronics are networked.
    One character seemed to pop in solely to shepherd the story along into the next act and provide some Chekhov's-gun style plot devices, but served that purpose way too concisely (and seriously under-utilized the actor's talent).
    The epilogue was a bit unsatisfying, like they were reaching for something but couldn't quite make it work.

I'd give it a B. Definitely worth renting, maybe see in theaters if you need some entertainment over the holidays.

20. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just saw it I liked it, the special effects especially the space ones were really cool.
    I did have to laugh that Andy Garcia got a top billing credit for this movie that he is literally in for 1.5 seconds and has no lines makes me wonder what they cut out