Parts-forming, yay or nay?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by AoE, Jul 15, 2014.

?

Yay or nay?

1. Yay

20.0%
  2. Yay with parts that transform

28.2%
  3. Nay

35.3%
  4. Meh

16.5%
  1. AoE

AoE OUR WORLDS ARE IN DANGER

News Credits:
    So a basic problem with a good number of figures today is large backpacks, unnecessary pauldrons, car parts hanging off of arms, etc. Would anyone be opposed to figures using parts-forming to allow figures to look relatively accurate to their on-screen or on page counterparts? I don't mean anything on Big Convoy levels of removable kibble, but something like a removable backpack on leader Optimus with a contrived shield mode or something like that.

2. Smashs

Smashs Internet: Pure Truth Moderator

News Credits:
    It doesn't bother me too much. If the parts transform into something usable it's perfectly fine, IMO.

3. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot

News Credits:
    I dislike parts forming. I'd rather have kibble but I'd rather have a better transformation engineering.

4. harveydent

harveydent Unknown Member

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    Yay. Just look at FOC Bruticus and Beast Hunters Abominus. Those dudes need some serious gestalt kibble partsforming

5. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ben going on since G1 just like repaints people are ridiculous about things like it's something brand new.

Also, combiners look better with stuck on parts rather than sticking them inside a mold and limiting it's robot and vehicle mode.

Kibble isn't a problem for me I do like to tell what the thing was before it transformed, kibble isn't the same as just hunks hanging off the back.

6. Bob 121

Bob 121 Well-Known Member

If I wanted a partsformer I'd go buy a Lego set.

7. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    With how many modern on-screen robots are clearly designed without an actual transformation in mind, having pop-off kibble that turns into weapons or whatever might not be that bad of an idea, if in a "lemons into lemonade" way.

8. Dean ML

Dean ML Well-Known Member

It should be avoided if at all possible. Seems like a cheat today. We've come a long way since G1. Look at the MP-11's cannons or MP-22's all in one transformation. I guess Kobayashi & co. couldn't avoid that butt flap for whatever reason, time, budget, but my OCD brain would rather leave it there than remove it for display purposes.

When there must be separate parts, especially weapons, they should be hidden in or a part of alt mode in some way. I love how MP Rumble/Frenzy's piledrivers can be worn on their backs or clipped on Soundwave's forearms in bot mode when not in use and used as connectors for Soundwave's alt mode who also stores their guns in this mode. Very clever and cool.

9. Edwardmus Prime

Edwardmus Prime Righteous Protector of Ed-Land

I am not a big fan of parts-forming. I feel figures should slide, flip etc. into their vehicle or robot modes. If it comes down to characters poorly designed for transformation then, well, make something out of that kibble. I would prefer if toys had a character that doesn't require parts-forming. I say nay most of the time.

10. Dean ML

^^^Amen^^^ One of the things I couldn't stand about AoE. Didn't even look good. Wasn't there already a low rent TF knockoff called Transmorphers?

11. Dean ML

The problem since '86 with The Movie character toys has been that too many TFs are designed backwards, for media first, by artists, not engineers. That gets handed to the toy designers who then have to worry about media accuracy and engineer something that actually works, which can lead to some crazy compromises. The toy designers should be consulted with on the creation of every TF.

12. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

Depends on price.

Some Dollarama parts former bots are pretty good.

13. Bob 121

Bob 121 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I saw it on a shelf once but valued my time too much to actually watch it. Regardless, I agree that we were cheated out of some transformations in the new movie, but that is essentially the highest evolution of partsforming. Just breaking down into smaller and smaller bits to fit both modes that dont even have to go together.

There is Kre-O for partsforming enthusiasts. Real TRANSFORMERS shouldn't have engineering constrained to fit nostalgia or lack of thought when its quite possible to make most/all designs work on a somewhat large scale (if required). G1 designs are plausible with no partsforming. Hell, they made ROTF Prime not partsform, and he's almost perfect in both modes.

If/when we get an MP combiner, the pro-partsformer people will be upset, since TT is well on track to getting rid of that crap. Just look at Ultra Magnus.

14. BScorpinok75

BScorpinok75 Squadron X #1 Consultant

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    parts forming for combiners is ok...

15. Wheeljackie

Wheeljackie He will set us free

I don't really mind it as long as it isn't the majority of the figure. Sometimes i see it is clever that the weapon becomes part of the beast/vehicle. I enjoy how weapons on beast wars toy become parts of the beast mode.

16. edgs2099

edgs2099 Optimistically realistic. Moderator

News Credits:
    As long as it's the exception and not the rule, I has no beef.

17. Fallout

Fallout Banned

News Credits:
    hate it for the most part. leader grimlock's biggest flaw imo

18. Mr. Chaos

Mr. Chaos New Holder of the Matrix of Leakership

News Credits:
    The only time there should be partsforming is if the parts form weapons/accessories for the character... NOT limbs, hands, arms, so on.

Which some might not call partsforming, I guess.

A perfect example is Battle Blades Prime or Buster Prime.

19. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Proud grandpa

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Little to no partsforming please.

20. Blindspot77

Blindspot77 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes. If part transform and the kibble becomes a gun, shield or some other stuff that is relevant to the figure that is fine. But if parts are to set aside then a big NAY.