Paramount suffers the same issue like what pre-DCEU Snyder had.

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Dmhead, Dec 29, 2018.

1. Dmhead

Dmhead Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No long-term planning, not sure if BB is a prequel or reboot judging from various statements lately that makes people confused. These symptoms are similar to what the DCEU had when Snyder was still on board.

• Like Like x 3
  2. NemesisPrime12

NemesisPrime12 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's just they've had enough of Bay but at the same time, the Transformers' brand is now very related to Michael Bay after 5 movies in 10 years

• Like Like x 1
  3. Dinobot Snarl

Dinobot Snarl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No, Everytime a writer, director or actor drops a no comment about why Megatron wasn't there or if it's a reboot it makes me angry because it means there's still someone fighting for the Bayverse. They're going to kill the whole franchise trying to protect the Bayverse, but they still don't give two fucks about their most loyal fans, who were there movie or not.

• Like Like x 6
  4. Godzilla Ranger

Godzilla Ranger AgentGodzillaRangerPrime

Uhhh, pretty sure it’s quite the opposite lol

The DCEU had a plan from July 2013 - Early 2017 when Snyder was on board.
    A 5 film narrative (MoS, DoJ, JL1, JL2, and etc) with other solo films (WW, AM, and etc) to coincide with these.

Then WB shat the bed with their reactionary handling of DoJ, SS, and JL, so now they’re throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks with a dozen Harley Quinn spin offs, no Batman or Superman films green lighted, a Wonder Woman sequel pushed to 2020, films dedicated to random side characters, films that aren’t even set in the shared universe, and etc.
    No ongoing narrative like the MCU phases or anything.

With the Transformers, there was never a plan after 2007, until they attempted it with that writer’s room before TLK, which was completely wasted by filmmakers who could careless.
    Now they’re at a crossroad with Bumblebee.

As for the MCU, they are THE masters of long term planning

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  5. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    There's also a philosophy in Hollywood that says 'continuity should never interfere with storytelling'.

It's how we get into messes like this.

Love the MCU or hate it, they mostly have been doing it right.

• Like Like x 3
  6. AshleyCuadra

AshleyCuadra Tieria Prime

News Credits:
    Who cares about a dumb reboot

• Like Like x 1
  7. Dinobot Snarl

News Credits:
    everyone who wants a good movie and has been around since before Michael Bay

• Like Like x 7
  8. YanderePrime

YanderePrime Autobot

News Credits:
    If they want a full reboot, they should wait 10-15 years. To explain, a lotta people got turned off with the Amazing Spider-man franchise due to how quickly it was rebooted after Spider-man 3. Only reason MCU Spidey worked is because the MCU connection.

The Transformers franchise could very well work like the X-Men, where First Class was a prequel to it all but its sequel wound up rebooting the franchise as a whole, while still fitting in. Someone could take the ideas brought up in Bumblebee and the Bayverse and go in a brand new, fresh direction.

Though that's just me, I sorta get tired of the reboot. It's like, oh we couldn't make it work, let's just start over. Someone with enough talent could very easily rescue the franchise from its current state. Heck, James Wan and Patty Jenkins have pretty much single-handily saved the DCEU, which was in an almost worst state. I actually kinda like the haziness of where Bumblebee stands in the franchise.

*this might have been a bit rambly*

9. AshleyCuadra

AshleyCuadra Tieria Prime

News Credits:
    I watched all of Michael Bay’s films

10. Dinobot Snarl

News Credits:
    So....

11. Dinobot Snarl

News Credits:
    Funny most of the Spiderman reboots were successful. They also we're all 100% based on source material. Bayverse is what happens when people make a movie based on the premise alone.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    The problem is you just can't work with the Bayverse at this point. All the major characters not Prime, BB, or Megatron are dead and there's little point in trying to get invested in them in prequels when you know they just up and die later on without meaning. On top of that, there's the whole problem with TLK being a bucket full of shit trying to spin itself off in a million directions in setting up a cinematic universe that can't ever happen, via the whole Ancient Aliens shitshow of simply going "oh yeah it was Transformers" in periods of history where the appeal of giant shapeshifting robots doesn't really apply. Anything pre-dating the Industrial Revolution (read: Hearts of Steel) that isn't exclusively beast modes or cybertronian modes is missing the entire point of giant shapeshifting robots that turn into human machine disguises.

A reboot is absolutely necessary simply to clean the slate and start fresh. But this time with an actual plan instead of a string of retcons one after another.

I'm so sorry.

• Like Like x 3
  13. electronic456

electronic456 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's way too high for some of them.

• Like Like x 1
  14. YanderePrime

YanderePrime Autobot

News Credits:
    The Amazing Spider-man series screwed itself with the second film so bad they rebooted it immediately.

• Like Like x 1
  15. electronic456

News Credits:
    Unfortunately retcons are going to happen no matter what. The only perfect cinematic universe/reboot verse is your own imagination.

16. Autobot Burnout

News Credits:
    While true, we're talking on a level of retcon where all they could come up with was more and more bullshit having to happen in the past in order for the Decepticons to even be a relevant threat. Megatron, somehow, masterminded three concurent plots that would get him the AllSpark, or kill all humanity, or enslave all humanity to rebuild Cyberton...and if any one of those plans succeeded, at least one or both of the other plans would result in his undoing because The Fallen and Sentinel provably made Megatron their bitch and pissing them off probably was not a good idea.

Something more competent like, say, them simply building a nuclear bomb and holding a city hostage in the present, instead of ancient conspiracy bullcrap, would at least establish the Decepticons as being able to pose a threat without confusing machinations.

• Like Like x 2
  17. electronic456

News Credits:
    I'm also talking about other so-called 'perfect' franchises.

If you follow the MCU closely, you'll notice things they'll just undo things despite being 'perfect'
    • At the end of Iron Man 3, Tony gives up the suit but of course...That's not going to happen for long.
    • Tony Stark gives Peter the Iron Spider suit but Peter is like "Nah, I'd rather be on the neighbourhood" until he then needs it for Infinity War.
    • What happened to Betty Ross over the years? Does Bruce Banner not care about her anymore? Betty Who? Nah, she's dust.
    • When did Thor become more funny?
    • What about the events of Ragnarok as prophercised?

Aquaman as of late also retcons stuff from Justice League. Not just the looks but the relations characters have with each other.

You see what I mean?

As Jetfire puts in, "It's a choice, it's an intensely personal decision."

18. primal789

primal789 Prime

News Credits:
    Prime:"We arrived on Earth because I got a ******ed brother named Megatron that likes to act like a terrorist and he has no reason to be here except he thinks you're pathetic and wants to kill you all and also has fun with hostages.It's not because our ancestors were here before or anything..it's random..everything is random..we could have chosen a more advanced civilization to offer us shelter after the war doomed our planet but nope..it was an accident and here we are..also why are we still here?We're good to go..Autobots,transform and roll out!"

• Like Like x 2
  19. Autobot Burnout

News Credits:
    I'm not saying the MCU is perfect, and your points are valid, but they have more going for them than the bad guys having to rely on the exact same plot for every single film (discounting Bumblebee since finally a film that doesn't rely on some stupid Cybertronian mcguffin for once).

20. VikingiGamer

VikingiGamer Directly beneath the enemy scrotum

News Credits:
    Here's the thing, they're not even doing a good job protecting it, considering Bumblebee takes a massive shit on established Bayverse continuity, leaving Bayverse fans such as myself confused as to what the damn movie even is! No one goes to a movie not knowing what they're watching!

• Like Like x 1