Paramount+ should revive Transformers: Prime

Discussion in 'Transformers Cyberverse and Cartoon Discussion' started by OmegaPrime22, Jun 23, 2021.

1. BigRed

BigRed Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nah, I would consider it the equivalent of when an older anime gets a OVA one-off. A real revival in my eyes would be a brand new show with brand new toys and a commitment to it instead of "wow captain planet had an episode in this new cartoon, that counts as a revival!", which is what Warner Bros did.

That Courage project shares zero staff with the old show, not even the old director and creator knew about it happening.

2. DanC

DanC Delightful person

News Credits:
    Just go out to a desert during a distant thunderstorm, stare solemnly at a butte, and intone gravely about an imminent threat. There, you've got five more seasons.

• Like Like x 6
  3. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's Zvil!"

News Credits:
    Nope. I'm over it.

4. Megasquared

Megasquared Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As much as I think this is a stupid idea I can't help but think that it will still be a step up from the dogshit Netflix series.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Galvatron1998

Galvatron1998 Maximal

News Credits:
    TFP had a good run (65 episodes and a TV movie is longer than most TF shows). That being said, outside of the fandom it doesn't have as wide of an appeal as many of the shows getting revivals recently. I can't see it being worth the time and effort, especially since the show had an actual conclusion.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Soundlips

Soundlips Yes, they are real

I think eating glass is a better time than the Netflix series. The second part was so forgettable, I forgot what the ending was WHILE watching it.

Let's hope the new unannounced show is better with actual funding and good writing.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Megasquared

Megasquared Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    After all the godawful pieces of crap Transformers media that we have gotten over the last decade I no longer hope for the best and expect the worst I just expect the worst.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Soundlips

Sadly, I agree.
    The quality in transformers has decreased significantly since Prime and i dont think it will return until there is a massive spike for people reinvested in the Transformers series. There have been some ok series since then, but Hasbro no longer takes risks and chances because they want to play it safe which is stupid for the franchise as a whole. Personally I would love them to take it in a new direction no one is expecting and blow the expectation out of the water but the chances of that are slim to none.

• Like Like x 2
  9. optimalsupreme

optimalsupreme Well-Known Member

I've got to echo the statements of people here in that TF Prime was a standout show but it had a conclusive ending.

We got a rubbish follow-up with RID2015 which sullied the reputation of that universe.

We need Hasbro/Paramount to understand what made TF Prime great and apply it to the next show/movie. Not just churnout the low-grade French cell shaded garbage that they keep doing.

• Like Like x 4
  10. SuperSunnyDee

SuperSunnyDee Sense is like cheesecake.

Yeah I’m in the “no” camp for a Prime revival series. I liked Prime, but it had a conclusive ending that I found satisfying, and a follow-up series that complicates the very premise of a “Prime” revival. It’d be more of an Aligned continuity revival at that point. And I don’t think that’s anything anyone will want for maybe 10 more years for it to be a safe nostalgic cash-in.

But yeah I think Prime had a good run and is plenty liked/appreciated/talked about enough as is. I don’t see there being enough reason to continue it.

• Like Like x 5
  11. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If there were a continuation, I’d want it to be big. I’d want the casts from all the aligned series to be integrated throughout: TFP, RID’15, RB, and RBA. Have an art style different from all of them, since they were all different from each other. I’d prefer something between RID & TFP in terms of robot designs.

And that’s about it. It’d just be cool to see these varied casts interacting.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Soundlips

Could be interesting, having the dream team come back together and then work together with the new crews fighting an entirely new enemy like a returning mech or something. I would be more down for something like this where it combines the best elements of both shows and puts them together set after RID 2015 to make an entirely new show, but my first worry is too many loose ends and macguffins they would have to try and explain out. It could be interesting if done right, but that's the key word, done right and in recent times they haven't.

But honestly, it still sounds like too much work, at this point, they might as well start fresh, maybe bring back some of the old characters in a new form and create a whole new continuity than try and continue this one.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Liege Nemesis

Liege Nemesis Snarks about old cartoons

No.

I liked Prime (except for Predacons Rising. That sucked and I would've preferred the series to have ended on the prior season finale) but I don't want to revisit it after all this time. The place that it ended at was already a step down from where it started due to budget cuts and streamlining, the aligned continuity experiment was a messy pileup that seems like it caused more problems than it solved, and while I didn't love RiD15, I thought it was OK as something that tried to do things a little differently (it probably should've been its own thing and not a direct Prime sequel though)

If the writers of a new series want to mine some concepts and character iterations from Prime, cool. Go for it. Make Arcee a tortured broken bird type scarred by the fact that everyone she gets close to dies. Make a quiet, imposing "secret police" style Soundwave. Bring back Knockout. Whatever. Try those concepts again. But don't bring the series back entirely. The brand should always look forward, taking inspiration and focus from where it's been but never committing to just rehashing it with no changes or picking up a long discarded thread. Even something like the WFC series, as cheap and shallow of a G1 (and now sorta Beast Wars) knockoff as it is isn't a total G1/Beast Wars knockoff. It's doing its own thing within a setup framed by multiple versions of the G1 story. I applaud it for that even if I can't applaud it for how it ended up.

• Like Like x 7
  14. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't see the point, considering Prime had a definitive ending. It's not like it was cancelled halfway through and left unresolved. It even had a sequel show, which I thought was a pretty solid follow-up (I personally liked RID2015's first season more than anything in Prime). I'd actually be more interested in seeing a third show in the series (with a unique premise and visual style and all, instead of just a continuation of Prime)...although I honestly think the whole Aligned project is better left in the past.

• Like Like x 8
  15. 96megatron

96megatron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I wouldn't mind seeing two films or maybe more in the Transformers: Prime section of the Aligned Continuity.
    A prequel to Transformers: Prime Season 1 would be great, not necessarily a WFC Prequel (although that would be cool too), but the Autobots on Earth early battles. Optimus, Ratchet, Bulkhead, and Bumblebee were on Earth for some time prior to Cliffjumper's and Arcee's arrival and they had Decepticon battles that involved Megatron according to some dialogue in the first five episodes. I'd love to see Breakdown and Knockout again and maybe Aligned Lugnut and Blackout show up, maybe a female Decepticon. Oh and maybe the Autobots had a few other bots on their roster and something happened to them.

An animated film adaptation of the Transformers: Prime: The Game with Thunderwing as the villain taking place during Season 2, but with a little more effort for continuity. So you can properly fit it in between two episodes. Like paying attention to the roster of the Autobots and Decepticons and maybe mentioning an event from an episode of that season so you know, oh since Smokescreen is on the team it takes place after Episode S2 17.

I hope they take a take a page out of the DCAU Timmverse playbook from Batman and Harley Quinn and Justice League vs. The Fatal Five and try to fit that into the overall DCAU. Regardless of the quality of those films (like Batman and HQ yuck, but JL VS FF was great) they still tried to keep continuity with some hints on when it takes place in overall DCAU canon.

Personally I hope they revive it on Netflix.

Maybe a Trypticon film that takes place after Predacons Rising?

• Like Like x 2
  16. Smokeyoreo18

Smokeyoreo18 Has to wait 268 days till he can watch RotB

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    I would seriously sell my soul for an aligned wreckers film.

• Like Like x 3
  17. 96megatron

96megatron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Maybe an animated adaptation of that one story with Kup, Hotshot, Wheeljack, maybe add Seaspray with Decepticons Rumble, Frenzy, and Thundercracker, "Unreliable Narratives" I think it was called.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Soundlips

Second

But if it isn't R rated or damn near close, then I don't want it. I'd kill to see something like the last stand of the wreckers, but I honestly dont think they got the balls to make something so gritty and dark and give it proper justice. I think they would make it edgey and not gritty/dark.

• Like Like x 2
  19. GrimCharr

GrimCharr SciFi Geezer

I'm an old Geewunner who has been "meh" over the live movies, appreciated a bit of IDW. But it was TFPrime that got me to to appreciate what has been done with the IP since the Beasty era. I liked it because I thought it was a great re-imagining of characters — for the most part. I think the CGI use was at its best. Better than the Playstation 1 CGI in the Beasties, better than the muddy CGI in the movies, and better than RID — which looks to me like a mobile fighting game.

I went through and watched TFPrime, and I definitely liked a lot of "mature" takes they did. I think it actually went on a little too long. They certainly could have done more with the ominous pacing and episodic storytelling. They took risks in having characters die, and have consequences for actions continue from episode to episode. But it had a certain ending to it appropriate to the tone of the show.

I recently went back and watched a bunch of Transformers Animated, however, which I had never seen. And I found it was an inspired take to make a fun kids' cartoon. And, frankly, looking back, TFP looks like they weren't all that creative. Basically TFP was a "gritty reboot**" of the Animated universe.

**gritty reboot makes sense. It was Orci/Kurzmann, those butchers of franchises and IPs. I was wondering how it was that I found something enjoyable in their work. But, ah, just about everything they did was originated by someone more creative. I do prefer Prime Arcee, and I hate the G1 Arcee look. I will die on that hill. But TFA was much more creative. TFP got as much out of that as they could have without taking more risks.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    I know RID wasn't the sequel you wanted but unfortunately it's the sequel you got. There's no going back now.