Paramount Planning On Making Fewer Big Budget Theatrical Productions And Focus More On Paramount +

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Fc203, Sep 10, 2021.

1. Strife

Strife Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yes, CBS All access became Paramount+, so all the new streaming Trek shows were there. The Classic Trek shows also being on Netflix is just part of old long term deals that haven't expired yet.

Discovery had a rocky start but Season 3 is what the show alway should have been.

Next year we're also getting Star Trek: Strange New Worlds, taking place on the NCC-1701 under Captain Pike which is going to be a classic Trek style ensemble show compared to Picard (which is really about Picard) and Discovery (which is really about Michael Burnham).

• Like Like x 1
  2. Rodimal Rodimus

Rodimal Rodimus Agent of Unit:E

Indeed, the folks at Marvel were pretty much responsible for creating the lore and mythos of many Hasbro-owned properties, Transformers, GI Joe, Action Force, Micronauts, and Rom the SpaceKnight.
    While I remain sceptical of a "live-action Transformers TV show" ever working on paper (unless you get really creative with it), I could see a Live-action show based on their more human-centric brands like Action Man, Jem, Stretch Armstrong, GI Joe, and MASK.

I think you got your film companies mixed.

As well as RiD'01, Animated, and Unicron trilogy,

3. Strife

Strife Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Oh and just to kind of add to my point about budget, in classic trek, almost everything you saw on sets was made out of wood (specifically wood painted to look like metal). It really holds up. It's only the very old TNG stuff from Seasons 1 and 2 that it pops out as wood-like.

It wasn't until Star Trek Enterprise (which debuted in 2001) where they really started to use actual metal and plastic instead of wood. In some places, it does look better, but not everywhere. Enterprise is also the first Star Trek show that had actual flat panel monitors for computer screens. Previously it was just backlit surfaces with colored translucent plastic on top. Furniature, for most shows, was sourced from Europe so Americans wouldn't notice it at their local store.

Modern Star Trek uses metal and molded plastic everywhere. 3D printing for set pieces is the norm. Furniature is custom built. Costumes are never resused and they have a bunch of ridiculous little details you'll never notice in them. As a result, everything costs far more. Even the Space battles are just... over produced. 90s and 2000s Trek had the limitations of CRT televisions at 480p to deal with and over the air transmission, so they produced their space battles scenes to look clear on that. Modern Star Trek is all sttreaming, so they design it for 8k (future proofing it) and adopt for a more cinematic direction, which funny enough isn't better because it makes what is going on less clear.

Let me give an example:

Discovery, 2020, CGI
    [​IMG]

vs this

The Next Generation, 1993, physical models (shown at broadcast quality on purpose, Blu-ray remaster looks different)
    [​IMG]

Discovery scene certainly was far more expensive, but a lot of it is in needless detail that obscures clarity. TNG scene gets the point across by a simple 3 part contrast (space, ship, slanted metal surface): the Dyson sphere is gargantuan.

This is why I wouldn't be took hooked up on budget cut talks. True, this is Star Trek and not Transformers, but there is the same line going through parts of Star Trek as there is through Transformers: a huge budget has to be used well, and often times, it simply isn't.

The Last Knight, for example, couldn't be saved by the fact that Michael Bay will never stick a single script and will just always shoot scenes he thinks look awesome and assemble the movie in the editing room. He learned that trick when the strike during production of ROTF forced him to make am movie in the editing room and no amount of money since has forced him down a better path.

• Like Like x 5
  4. Swoop Dogg

Swoop Dogg Hi Yukio!

News Credits:
    Huahua and China suck - they totally screwed Paramount.

• Like Like x 2
  5. PrimeBot

PrimeBot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Snake Eyes broke Paramount

• Like Like x 7
  6. Preposterous

Preposterous Noble sage who likes SG, Bayverse, BW, G2 and G1.

News Credits:
    I don't think Star Trek is comparable. Most of their cast doesn't need to be computer-generated. TF movies couldn't really be filled with people in space-pajamas talking about space-politics. Unless people will be willing to accept a TF movie with even fewer robots than in Bumblebee, moving to fully animated projects (preferably with Japanese studios) seems to be the only future for Transformers movies.

• Like Like x 2
  7. WolverineDragon

WolverineDragon Banned

In retrospect they should’ve driven for quality movies that kept audiences engaged just like the MCU. I agree with you that keeping the Bay style of film making hurt the movies in the long time run and paramount could be paying the price for thinking how Michael bay’s films might have lasting appeal. I hope Rise of the beasts turns things around, but I don’t know if it can be done.

• Like Like x 8
  8. Neo-Primus

Neo-Primus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Fingers crossed that Hasbro and Marvel/Disney can come to some sort of deal.

• Like Like x 5
  9. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think it goes beyond that, I think they show up because they like those actors too. It's one area Transformers can never equal other successful franchises, our main characters are special effects on top of being alien robots. I'll show up to watch Spider-Man talk about his feelings or Star-Lord crack some jokes, but Optimus Prime really needs to be blowing things up to hold my attention.

• Like Like x 2
  10. decepticon seeker

decepticon seeker Sixshot

Steven caple jr said he will explore his character and he talked about other characters too.He is a fan of the franchise something michael bay wasn’t.

• Like Like x 5
  11. Preposterous

Preposterous Noble sage who likes SG, Bayverse, BW, G2 and G1.

News Credits:
    In a perfect world this simple fact would end all discussions regarding Transformers movies, their scripts, budgets etc. But I guess we'll have to make do with the usual "TF has to be more like MCU" and the like.

Alternatively, we just accept that Transformers movies have to take a page or two out of the book titled "Super God Masterforce".

• Like Like x 1
  12. Terradives

Terradives Well-Known Member

No that was low budget no heart

• Like Like x 1
  13. 2fabdad

2fabdad Well-Known Member

Anime style Transformers. Farborne and Nightbeat private detectives in the transformer universe. Cybertron after Dark

14. Terradives

Terradives Well-Known Member

Isn’t that exactly what happened with the bayverse though? Lol

15. samisham

samisham Well-Known Member

They're already on their way out after things like the Wei Jiang bust.
    Indeed I did, but my point stands.
    That's your concern with Disney getting even bigger? Twitter getting worse?

• Like Like x 2
  16. 2fabdad

Only good that comes from Disney would be seeing Optimus Prime cameo in a Marvel Movie

• Like Like x 2
  17. decepticon seeker

decepticon seeker Sixshot

Wait so paramount is about to lose the transformers license?It didn’t say in the article.

18. samisham

samisham Well-Known Member

Apparently, it puts it in question, but the contact renewal date is next year.

• Like Like x 2
  19. 2fabdad

Bayverse made transformers what it is today. Mainstream. TLK sucked because of the script. It was way Too Much Lore/Story cramped into one movie. Nobody wants to see Optimus Prime as the Bad Guy. When he showed up for staff he should have been like What's Up that goofy bitch is about to destroy earth, she thought she could brain wash Me... She forgot who I Am... Here's Our plan.
    Personaly I feel like Transformers should have it's Own Universe. Multiple stories/shows. All in the same universe different styles. Anime, live action, CGI, 2cell ect. All happening at the same time and within the same universe. Not separate time lines or reboot crap.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Megs

Megs Well-Known Member

Could we please stop talking about Disney purchasing the Hasbro film rights? It's making me very uncomfortable. GI Joe and Transformers are my last hold-out fandoms that haven't been ruined by the general public. Captain America and the Avengers were my absolute favorite things to collect before the Disney buyout and since Iron Man everything has shifted. Sure, they've made a crap ton of money off the films but the product isn't even what it used to be anymore and has been made palatable for the general audience vs. the people who have curated the franchise for so long (30 years and counting for myself.) I'm not blind to the fact Marvel Comics was in bad shape before the buyout but I can't stand what they've become since. I used to wear t-shirts of Captain America almost everyday but some of the conversations it evoked made me to stop. I'm ranting, sorry. Just, please. No.

• Like Like x 2