Paramount Planning On Making Fewer Big Budget Theatrical Productions And Focus More On Paramount +

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Fc203, Sep 10, 2021.

1. Darth Gonzo

Darth Gonzo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I guess that would be find too.

2. Fc203

Fc203 Jazz is a Pontiac not a Porsche

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I would love to see gi joe properly done but doubt disney would ever do something pro military going forward

• Like Like x 4
  3. Darth Gonzo

Darth Gonzo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's why I would like Marvel to have Hasbro's movies.

4. samisham

samisham Well-Known Member

Pain.

• Like Like x 1
  5. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Bounty Hunter

News Credits:
    You're comparing two hour movies to comics that have been running for (in some cases) almost a century. The comic characters are naturally going to be more fleshed out and have more to them, just by virtue of having so many more stories devoted to them. The goal of the MCU films isn't to improve on the characters, nor should it be. Come to think of it, do any film adaptations really improve on the source material? Like, the LOTR films are great, but even those are stripped down versions of the books for the general audience. Any sort of film adaptation is going to be turned into something more simple and digestible for the average Joe (with a handful of exceptions, like Space Odyssey). Movies as a medium aren't meant for a small group of elite fans, they're meant for wide audiences. At least movies about superheroes and space robots.

What you're essentially asking for (intentional or not) is something cheap and junky like the awful Combiner Wars show, which is about as fan-oriented as anything put to screen is going to get. It's a trade off...would you prefer something with a decent production value aimed at general audiences, or something with horrible animation and voice acting aimed at fans? Because you can't have it both ways. They quite literally can't devote hundreds of millions of dollars to making movies that a few thousand hardcore fans will watch. It's not a matter of them being stubborn and refusing to, they logistically can't do it.

• Like Like x 13
  6. DoctorAlgy

DoctorAlgy all your Primes are belong to us

If Disney gets the movie rights, it's over. No more 3rd party or KO movie transformers. we're all screwed.

• Like Like x 5
  7. samisham

samisham Well-Known Member

That's assuming that they buy the entire franchise rather than just getting the rights to produce media. Hasbro will never sell the Transformers franchise in its entirety unless the entire company is sold or they're facing bankruptcy.

• Like Like x 8
  8. DoctorAlgy

DoctorAlgy all your Primes are belong to us

True, but since Disney has potential sights on the "movie" rights that would mean no more 3rd party movie figures in general. 1st Party figures will remain unchanged of course.

9. Snaku

Snaku Primes Don't Party

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Paramount+? Does anybody actually subscribe to that?

• Like Like x 1
  10. decepticon seeker

decepticon seeker Sixshot

It has more than 40 million subscribers.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Fc203

Fc203 Jazz is a Pontiac not a Porsche

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I subscribed for free for 3 months nothing interesting imo

• Like Like x 1
  12. DarkAxalonSyde

DarkAxalonSyde Excessively Angry Decepticon

Welp, there goes any hope of decent Transformers movies in the future. I'm not interested in watching more human-centric films with one single Autobot thrown in to fight a couple of Decepticons, like Bumblebee. I want a full team of Autobots and a full team of Decepticons, something that can't be done on a low budget.

• Like Like x 3
  13. decepticon seeker

decepticon seeker Sixshot

Movies that go straight to streaming are forgotten in a week.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Snaku

Snaku Primes Don't Party

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I mostly agree but I actually enjoyed Bumblebee (like it had its problems but I like watching it). What I want is movies where the characters are allowed to actually be characters. That includes autobots and Decepticons. One of the things I hated about the Bay movies is the Decepticons were just one dimensional movie monsters wearing robot parts. Bumblebee didn't do the cons justice either but by narrowing the field, we at least got to know them a little. What they really need to do, though, is cut down on the damned humans and let the robots shine. Oh and stop killing off important named transformers for a stupid cheap shock value. If you're going to kill someone, give them a hero's death (or villain's death). You can kill Cliffjumper but make it mean something like in TF Prime, not like in Bumblebee.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Preposterous

Preposterous Noble sage who likes SG, Bayverse, BW, G2 and G1.

News Credits:
    Unless it's mostly talking cars or something along the lines of "Transmorphers", it's not really feasible to have "small budget direct-to-streaming Transformers movies".

• Like Like x 1
  16. Strife

Strife Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I do. If you're a Star Trek fan, it's amazing.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Strife

Strife Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I wouldn't be so sure about that. Modern VFX are ridiculously over produced and it's caused budgets to skyrocket despite diminishing returns. To offer two Paramount examples, Star Trek Picard's budget is $9 million an episode. Star Trek Discovery's budget is $7 million an episode. The improvement in visual quality over Star Trek Enterprise, which had an $1.7 million an episode budget in 2004, is really uneven. But making VFX content and sets for 8K resolution (futureproofing), instead of 2K or even 4K, has lead to a surge in post-production work, costs and time.

The way forward is a shift to new, less expensive but more capable VFX rendering techniques. The Mandalorian, despite its $15 million an episode budget, lead the way with its virtual sets done in the Unreal Engine that can be modified in real time. Star Trek Discovery is adopting something similar for Season 4. And Transformers... we can see the difference between Transformers Prime - a show made in 1080p with relatively simple lighting, and the Netflix Transformers shows, made in 4K with extravagant lighting, by much of the same people (Polygon).

Point is, a lot of productions have focused on the wrong *kinds* of details and wrong kind of production, that's inflated costs, and by having a narrower target and more practical visual goals, you can do a lot within a much smaller budget. Transformers 2007 had a $147 million budget, while ROTF had a $210 million budget. In many cases, the 2007 movie just looked better. ROTF was in many places, more extravagant but worse. ILM bragged about the attention to detail ("double the polygon count" etc) at the time, but the movie wasn't enhanced by it one bit.

• Like Like x 1
  18. JohnRedcorn

JohnRedcorn Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    gi joe can defintely benefit from their help

• Like Like x 2
  19. Paok

Paok Well-Known Member

Isn't it a bit funny and kind of scary at the same time, how big risk projects may tank, important financial deals may drop, CEOs and other leading figures may step down, the whole studio may downsize or worse...
    But nothing moves Lorenzo's butt from his seat?

• Like Like x 15
  20. Snaku

Snaku Primes Don't Party

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Is it? Did they move Discovery and Picard over to Paramount+? I've got all the movies on DVD/bluray and last I checked all the vintage series were on Netflix.

[Edit] Note I didn't care for Picard and I just thought Discovery was ok so my question is more academic than anything.