Paramount Planning On Making Fewer Big Budget Theatrical Productions And Focus More On Paramount +

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Fc203, Sep 10, 2021.

1. Fc203

Fc203 #RestoreTheBayVerse

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Jim Gianopulos to Exit Paramount Pictures, Brian Robbins to Take Over as Chairman and CEO
    https://twitter.com/Borys_Kit/status/1436353574674452481?s=19
    https://twitter.com/Borys_Kit/status/1436369369878065155?s=19
    Will this affect the rights renewal with hasbro? I wouldnt be surprised if it did. Snake eyes was the last straw that really broke the camels back.

• Like Like x 6
    • News Credit News Credit x 1
  2. David Hingtgen

David Hingtgen Chromaticon

News Credits:
    Filming big explosions is expensive, so they'll have to focus more on stuff like plot and dialogue for future TF projects? I see this as a win...

• Like Like x 36
  3. JonzyYT

JonzyYT Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I would absolutely love if they did a series based on some of the stuff they did in the Bayverse comics, though it looks like they'll be doing stuff that carries on from ROTB.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde シン・ブリュンヒルド

News Credits:
    This simply appears to be Paramount preparing for the worst case scenario: they create yet another big budget movie that fails to do well or at the very least gather another 'safety net' of general audience midwits who keep their shitty films afloat for a few entries before they jump ship and move onto greener pastures.

It happened back in 2007 with the first Michael Bay TF movie, it happened with the Resident Evil films, it's currently happening with the MCU and CW DC universe, without that zombie audience of consumers who don't care about the quality of the thing being sold to them they have no easy way out to rely on. Paramount isn't in a position like Nintendo or Disney where they can afford to fail a couple dozen times before there's a noticeable dent in their income, they need their projects to do well.

This is why pandering hard to the general audience was a mistake from the start, without the fans to keep your thing afloat, you have to rely on a unpredictable mass of people who can't be relied upon as their tastes and opinions change with the seasons. In retrospect I would've easily preferred one or two really solid movie adaptions of TF that struggled to find a foothold among the general audiences but were loved by the fans than a series of five shallow, forgettable, obnoxious films that normies supported for a bit but alienated long time fans of the franchise.

If they honestly use the second wind afforded to them by Bumblebee to just try the same stupid shit all over again in the hopes that the general audiences will save them, then ROTB deserves to bomb as by then it will be clear they're either incapable or unwilling to learn from their mistakes.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2021
    • Like Like x 16
  5. MV95

MV95 @marlinfan1995 Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I could definitely see Disney going for the Hasbro movie rights

• Like Like x 6
  6. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Honestly, I welcome the idea of smaller-budget streaming Transformers films (or a live-action show). Set it in one location, scale down the amount of characters, cut down the runtime to 90 minutes, and use some clever tricks to cut back on the amount of CGI required, like using some Sqweeks/Frenzy style puppets and having the larger automobile Transformers speak in alt mode. And most importantly, have strong storytelling and characterization to make up for the decreased spectacle. Done cleverly, they could probably make a really engaging series of Transformers movies for a fraction of the cost of the Bay films.

I honestly think something like that is the way to go. I think studios need to face the fact that making big expensive blockbusters isn't very smart in the middle of a pandemic. I also think Paramount needs to face the possibility that the era of Transformers movies being billion-dollar smash hits is over. I honestly think it peaked (box office-wise) with DOTM and AOE, and now the novelty of giant robots and cities blowing up is old. I absolutely think future Transformers movies can be profitable, but I don't think we'll ever see another DOTM. I think they'd be smart to aim a bit lower. A lot lower in the current situation.

Sadly, fans alone can't cause a movie to turn a profit. They can't make hundred-million-dollar movies for hardcore fans. To some extent they have to "pander to general audiences" and follow trends. That being said, there's a good and bad way to do it. Like you said above, audiences became alienated with Bay's movies after a while. The mistake they made was failing to establish likable characters and an engaging storyline that audiences wanted to get more of. People were very much showing up for the spectacle, and that spectacle got old. It's like a magician doing the same trick over and over...eventually the audience is going to see though the trick and walk away.

Marvel hasn't become the biggest current movie series by appealing to existing fans, they've done it by getting the average Joe invested in these characters and this story. By turning people into fans. People show up to see what will happen when Spider-Man meets the Guardians of the Galaxy, because they like those characters. That's what Transformers needs to aim for now that the spectacle-based approach has run out of steam. Make the causal audiences care about Sideswipe and Mirage and Ironhide and everyone else. I honestly care less about whether they get the characters right, and more about simply getting characters right. Show-accuracy and fan appeasement is a nice cherry on top, but the main goal should simply be making something of quality.

• Like Like x 23
  7. Fc203

Fc203 #RestoreTheBayVerse

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    As much as i hate disney they might be the best option at making something good

• Like Like x 5
  8. SilverOptimus

SilverOptimus Movie News Monster Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    I was actually worried when they announced a massive budget Transformers movie during this 'new normal' period. Movies are nowhere near their usual box-office performing days. Foreign movies are clamped down in China and India is suffering from Delta. So, the next two largest movie markets are out of the picture. Most countries are in a lockdown for an undefined period. Even if they are out of lockdowns, they are suffering from massive financial problems. Take my country for an example: We can't even find food, theaters are the last thing on our minds. Paramount needs a massive amount of luck if they want to put ROTB in theaters by mid-next year.

• Like Like x 18
  9. JazzIsBack

JazzIsBack Well-Known Member

What does this mean for RotB?

10. Hyoumaru

Hyoumaru M.S.B.S. ver. 10.5

Im actually more worried for the Sonic sequel movie now.

• Like Like x 6
  11. ToaDraco

ToaDraco Lightning Strike Coalition Force

Ebay:
    I would honestly be down with that. Paramount sucks and Disney has the moneytree to fund anything they want. Plus, given their penchant for farming nostalgia, we'd be all but guaranteed to see a swath of g1 inspired projects.

• Like Like x 13
  12. Jmaster99

Jmaster99 Well-Known Member

Honestly the only good thing to come from Disney is Hasbro getting RiD back

13. Autobot Jamie

Autobot Jamie Well-Known Member

I remember hearing at least one more live action movie is planned, I want to say two. From what I know & this; I feel like we\'ll still see the TF movies\' we\'ve been getting, though perhaps not always A- list celebs. It seems transformers will be the only live action movies Paramount will work on. We shall see. No matter what they do, there\'s still going to be the debates around G1 style and humans. 

14. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Dukeup Nukhead

News Credits:
    This isn't a good sign.

On the level of 'rats fleeing a sinking ship'.

Honestly I think moving forward with ROTB was a massive mistake. We are still in the middle of a pandemic and these chuckleheads decided they needed to engage in expensive around-the-world filming and a budget similar to TLK? I can understand trying to keep the movie industry going but they did not need to travel to actual ancient ruins instead of just building something in a hollywood backlot.

At this point, Paramount is just asking to go bankrupt out of hubris more than anything.

They really don't. They're still in massive debt as a result of Iger's completely idiotic Fox buyout.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Dinobot Snarl

Dinobot Snarl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    These guys have repeatedly screwed the franchise, this was inevitable. Snakes Eyes was especially rediculous self inflicted wound.

• Like Like x 16
  16. octobotimus

octobotimus Anti-hype man

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    A sequel to the last knight along with a WW 2 movie were planned in 2017. That changed with the flip of a switch. As far as we know, TF movies may end here at 2022.

• Like Like x 4
  17. Dinobot Snarl

Dinobot Snarl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For some reason, with half the US population not wanting to get the vaccine, theatre companies are still overly confident that normalcy will return anytime soon. Disney and HBO are definately getting it right.

• Like Like x 9
  18. decepticon seeker

decepticon seeker Sixshot

Almost every wb movie has flopped this year.

19. OZsket

OZsket Well-Known Member

Sadly expected. Although likely I really hope Disney doesn’t buy the rights as I don’t really like anything they have done recently apart from some of the MCU films and clone wars season 7.

The annoying family friendly attitude they inflict on their properties such as the absolute wretched stuff they have inflicted on the star wars franchise honestly killed that franchise for me, I hope that this would not happen to the transformers.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Terradives

Terradives Well-Known Member

Well if rotb follows bayverse style shenanigans like it looks it wants to then they deserve this. One half decent movie out of six does not cut it. Stop trying to reinvent the franchise and focus on telling the core story. Two robotic factions locked in a civil war.

• Like Like x 7