Paramount Pictures Declare Transformers: Bumblebee Is Solidly Profitable

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by SilverOptimus, Jan 10, 2019.

1. BigRed

BigRed Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What Afterburner is trying to say doesn't matter, at this point you already know what he means: He is angry that things that exist aren't things that particularly please him, so out of pure molten lunacy, he decided that they're bad and deserve to die and that everyone who disagrees isn't at true fan.

The brand unification gave us a cartoon that nobody watches and a comic book that is ALREADY ignoring said Brand Unification simply 1 year after it's conception by basing it's designs on an upcoming toyline and on a new story instead of sticking to the story bible/visual guide.

You're not someone that knows how Hasbro works if you think Hasbro will ever succesfully commit to this. Get ready for another failed attempt at unification to start again in 3 years or so.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Booga

Booga Well-Known Member

Do you have a source for this? I would like to read more.

3. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Action Master Super Mod

News Credits:
    hahahahahaha...

Maybe he wanted to use Starscream, but since it was a prequel he couldn't? Also, that guy died, so better to make him more generic than to make him Starscream. I would've used Acid Storm or something, but it's just a fun one off. And to add triple changers in like a tank jet guy and a train space shuttle guy, the robots would've probably been even larger than Shatter and Dropkick, who already were larger than Bee.

nobody is saying that's why it's a success, but since so much of Hollywood is written by men with a male lead, when it happens the other way around it's something to point at.

I think most it's closer to 40%, but also these movies film with really good tax incentives sometimes, so even spending something like 100 million to make the movie, they may get 30 million back before the movie even comes out just because of those incentives. Hollywood accounting is a mystical, weird thing to look into.

I think her script was pretty good, and she's had three scripts on the Black List before, which says something positive. I think her script was decent, and as a friend pointed out, it's a bit of a bummer that Bee went from a badass military dude to a scared puppy when he got to Earth, but oh well. Hopefully future movies can flesh out the characters more by having them talk about things they liked to do on Cybertron before the war, or what they'd like to do after the war is done. Really invest in making the Transformers have more character overall.

Kurtzman is a hack? lol, that's a news to me.

4. TFanPage101

TFanPage101 Commander Magnus

News Credits:
    So you're pointing out other shows like Animated, Prime, Armada, and Robots in Disguise that were also successful, but cry about how we don't move on?... That doesn't make sense to me. Basically, yes, for some we can accept some change and new outlooks for classic characters, but for the films, they kind of just slapped names on designs and that's it. Not saying I hate all those designs, but I think they forgot that a lot of these are beloved characters. I think you're missing that some people do like change in designs and can accept something new, but that doesn't mean that 'new thing' will be liked, and not just because it's from the 'bayverse.' For example, I like the design of Crankcase in the film, even though it's not like his original toy. But I also HATE Onslaught. Win some, loose some. Also, we have the bayverse franchise expanding for more than 10 years, continuing to this day, so it is such a crime to have a big theater film that looks closer to that iconic look? Damn, what a crime.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  5. franpincho

franpincho NOT a FT Only collector

I'm going to go ahead and give my personal opinion on this.

The first 10 minutes or so, were everything I ever wanted in a TF movie. Just glorious.

Everything else was trash. Tolerable trash.

I mean, If what I want is a little girl fighting to save the world, I'll just watch another BS Hollywood movie that's out there. So overplayed. Not that she was bad at it, I simply don't care about it at all. In fact, I thought Cena was funny as hell.

It was still 10000000000X better that the Bay abominations for sure, but then again that is not saying very much. Hell, 'How to lose a guy in 10 days or whatever' is better than ANY bayformer movie, and that movie is VOMIT.

I did not and don't want this movie to fail, just because of those magical 10 minutes. I do believe that people would pay to see a full TF movie based in Cybertron, with very little human interaction. I really do, and I hope that one day, it will happen.

Until then,

I will support this movie, I will buy the BD. I will buy the Studio Series Prime or any of the Cybertronian G1 bots if they are made (Studio series and MP's)

I will still tell my friends that they need to see it, even if its just the first 10 minutes.

I just hope that one day, I will get what I really want in a TF movie, and I'm sure that sentiment is widely shared.

6. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Daww you must be reaaally hurt by the nobody even caring about the Bayverse to prolong its existence. Ouch.

Oooh, do tell, so you've got official data about how much audience the Cyberverse has? It's like you weren't just a raging fan. Oh, but you must be some kind of an insider who surely knows how the company works. Oh wait, you arent... Whine more then?

You DO realise that:

A) Bumblebee comic prequel was started before Hasbro got more hold on how the BB movie ended and this book is basically an abandoned relic of the TLK era?

also

B) That the IDW reboot designs being based on WFCS toys are exactly the brand unification at work? The old IDW continuity is finished, over. Gone. It's matters no more.

• Like Like x 1
  7. ErbFan28

ErbFan28 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    A sizable portion of that $600 million went to movie theaters.

• Like Like x 2
  8. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    But weren't most characters in the other series such as the Unicron Trilogy,RID01 and even ones that came after the movies such as Animated and Prime also name slaps? I mean guys like Armada Blurr,Animated Prowl,Prime Breakdown,etc were brand new characters in comparison to their G1 counterparts so going by that logic that means they shouldn't exactly get a free pass either. Also while yes this is the first time w'eve seen an actual G1 looking Optimus Prime in live action form if you leave out Evasion Prime we've been actually getting a lot of G1 Optimus designs or evoking a lot of it elsewhere in the brand especially in recent years along with Hasbro trying to push G1 so much to the point of ignoring the other TF series which is I believe what dragon was trying to point out.

9. TFanPage101

TFanPage101 Commander Magnus

News Credits:
    Pretty much, yeah. But I feel the films really just threw a name together on a lot of their characters without really caring about them. I'm not saying it's a big issue or never been done before. I mean, Energon Downshift anyone?

10. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    It's noted all right. That's the most exciting part for me about Bumblebee's success because it's actually having the chance of a BW movie along with a BW resurgence be more possible.

11. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    As it is for me, but for drastically different reasons. It's performance may do well enough to shut me up about BW's performance at retail as of late, and finally getting some new fiction may shut all the BeastWhiners up that inundate every fucking thread about how pandering blah blah blah. Ideally, it'd do both.

12. Blunderzag

Blunderzag Transform and Transcend

This means the Optimus and BW movies have a greater chance at being made.
    we live in a good timeline.

• Like Like x 8
  13. BigRed

BigRed Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh my god, are you like, young? Or something else that explains this embarassment? What is with this affected tone? Eat a steak and get a clue dude, we're discussing entertainment media, not your favorite Pokemon in the playground. And get some context too, I've ragged on the Bay films far more than you have and in that same post I knocked down Afterburner and his weird attitude against the new Bee film, with the added bonus that I did it without becoming a poster child for Mental Age Regression syndrome, so I don't think you'll have any excuse for being like... that thing you choose to be. Google Showbuzzdaily, it's a site that makes TV ratings available for all shows.

But yeah we... actualy do have publicly available ratings of Cyberverse? You don't have to be an insider to see the weekly ratings and the youtube views. You should probably check on widely known stuff before getting oddly emotional and aggressive. Cyberverse's initial ratings were 400 000 at premiere, already extremely weak, and decreased to 250 000 in it's final episodes, showing that interest steadly went down even as the climax of the story came about. Youtube videos likewise got less and less and less engagement as the season went. It started bad and got worse. And nobody needs to pretend to be an insider like so many upon this board to factualy check that.

I wasn't referring to movie tie-in comics since those have always been an absolute mess, so I'll ignore that part. And yeah, the IDW reboot is basing designs on new toys instead of the Over 30 robot and vehicle mode Evergreen style sheet designs they commissioned out of various artists. Just like the Aligned continuity's blunder, they spent sizeable money to... instantly throw it away a mere year later.

If you think that is a sign that the company knows how to handle synergy you might be naive.

14. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    Yes!!
    Man I tell ya, as soon as Anthony Hopkins started that scene I began to think of all the writers involved, and the wasted years supporting these movies. In other words it made me mad.

@UltraAlanMagnus
    Your video made my day!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Dyno98

Dyno98 Standing by for Titanfall

That's nice to hear.

16. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Cyberverse is Cartoon Network app and tv first and only then Youtube.

Nah, you're misunderstanding or naive.

Evergreen is not the unified brand. Nor is Cyberverse. Nor is the BB movie Optimus.

The brand unification is ALL those designs being about the same shared basics. OP is a red flat nose truck, Megatron is a tank etc.

Nobody promised a brand new shared continuity, only that characters keep a similar look.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  17. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    Animated was positively filled with G1 references in character designs and beyond (why else would they get weird al to voice Wreck Gar when the original guy was busy with Spamalot?), Armada litterally resurrected the bad guy from the original G1 film into the architect of the entire cybertronian civil war and the existing toys of G1 Unicron beyond the old 80s prototypes are almost all based on the Armada incarnation, and RID had FORTRESS MAXIMUS among other imported G1 toy designs as characters like Ruination a.k.a. G1 Bruticus.

Then why is Hasbro going all out with G1 across the franchise? Evidently the new tf fans are more for the 80s stuff then you seem to be aware of or care to admit.

You mean the comics that are resetting and going full G1 again?

I'm on the phone atm so I cant find them, but I'll try to link them once I get home this evening.

• Like Like x 2
  18. ar78

ar78 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I doubt Bumblebee is actually profitable yet. Maybe they are taking future expected gross into account. Paramount is desperate to put out good news because the studio has been close to insolvent for the past year. 90% of what comes out of an executive's mouth is lies. $300 million worldwide with budget and marketing was not said to be a profitable gross before. The budget for filming was $162 million and if you take the theater cut out of the $300 million gross, Bumblebee's take barely covers that. Earlier claims were a worldwide gross of $400+ million was needed. The movie has been falling hard this week and seems close to being played out.

Aquaman is still pulling in a few million every day in the US and Bumblebee has dropped below $1 million. At this rate the movie will be gone in most theaters soon. If Vice was playing in the same number of theaters it would have trounced Bumblebee based on box office returns this week, if that says anything. Bohemian Rhapsody is one of the biggest hits of the past few years pulling in almost $750 million on a $52 million budget. That is a profit monster for Fox. Paramount has to be looking at that and wondering what happened.

Other than the first ten minutes and the last twenty, Bumblebee wasn't very entertaining. The overall plot of Charlie gets over her dead dad with the help of lost puppy Bumblebee was terrible. Other than Hailey Steinfeld all of the other actor's performances almost made Shia's work in Transformers Oscar worthy. I still feel that Bumblebee was more like a direct to DVD movie than a big screen film.

19. Ae38

Ae38 Well-Known Member

Good news for the franchise but i dont appreciate the shoehorned gender politics at the end. I dont want to get too political here but the mere fact that it was written by a woman and stars a female lead really doesnt have anything to do with why it was good. Frankly i think invoking that is sort of an insult to their work which can stand outside of that.

• Like Like x 2
  20. VortexPrime

VortexPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    NICE!!! WOOHOOO!!! GO BEE!!! :rock :rock :rock :rock