Paramount Pictures Declare Transformers: Bumblebee Is Solidly Profitable

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by SilverOptimus, Jan 10, 2019.

1. DarkEyes

DarkEyes Well-Known Member

That pretty good.

Thanks Primus for MCU that is showing the way to competitors.

The other key is keeping Bay far away of the brand.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Fallout

Fallout Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    thank you travis, very cool!

• Like Like x 1
  3. BlackHawkOmega

BlackHawkOmega Artist with a Temper

News Credits:
    The fucking framed picture of Optimus standing next to Revolutionary War soldiers is still the funniest goddamn thing to me.

• Like Like x 6
  4. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Good news indeed.
    I hope this is a sign of good things to come. I’d love to see more movies of this quality with tighter stories, more focus on giving us great characters & less of the Bayhem nonsense.

Moreover, can we get people involved with future installments that also enjoy & like Transformers? That’s your formula for renewed success right there.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Official Paramount statement on the Bumblebee movie: - "mmmmmmmmyyeah, it did okay, pretty much."

(hopefully the critical and fan statements count for something too.)

• Like Like x 1
  6. BW megatron

BW megatron tiran

He's lying with a big smile, paramount is in deep problems

• Like Like x 1
  7. f-primusunicron

f-primusunicron Unicron Herald BladeZero

News Credits:
    i dont care about bay or his BS but i will sure miss a lot the alien/insect/monster designs his team of artist came up with -_-

• Like Like x 1
  8. DJW107PRIME

DJW107PRIME Autobot Hero

Ebay:
    :buttrock 

9. AnonymousDwell

AnonymousDwell Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Great news. A profitable Transformers movie (and particularly if the toys for it sell well) is a good thing for Transformers as a whole. Whether one likes the movie personally or not.

As I've said before, I'm not a fan of the live action movies personally. I'm a big fan of these new designs, aesthetically, and do hope there's more of a full on reboot that comes out of this.

But I also don't want those who are fans of the films - which is a huge number of people - to be left hanging or feel that they're losing the part of Transformers they love. Ideally, two distinct continuities would emerge and coexist side by side, if I had my way.

10. Afterburner

Afterburner For your health

News Credits:
    Needless to say, the movie hasn't been a success by any measure other than meeting extremely low expectations. The box office is exactly where you would expect for TF6 considering the arrow has been pointing down since 2. Just because they may or may not have made a decent film (most of the positive reviews are middling at best if you bother to read them), it doesn't prevent the fact this film leads into 5 terrible ones and a terrible universe that fans want to move on from, hence the low box office despite a supercharged attempt here and elsewhere to pretend as if they care about the fans for the first time in forever (coincidentally only when they desperately need us).

The real problem indicated by this article is that they are satisfied, delusional or not, which I tried to warn you about. We need to be vocal that the reason this flopped is real and palpable. Their satisfaction won't mean more of the "G1 Optimus" you saw fleeting glimpses of, there is no G1 Optimus here. There is a crazed killer with Rodimus flames and a beak. You are never getting anything beyond shallow, completely unrelated designs and characters until this is totally overhauled, starting with the entire creative team and probably a new studio. Bumblebee still has more in common with the actual insect than the TransFormer he's very loosely based upon, and 6 films in that's not only completely pathetic, it's also not going to change under this group.

If this isn't dead, studio delusion or not (let's be real continuing after 3 was delusional), it more likely than not means you will never get TransFormers on the big screen. Not something to celebrate if you thought TF was more than just random violence and robots who only hang around wanna be sex symbols for no apparent reason.

If this movie was so good, this director so amazing and key, why did he think Blitzwing was a seeker and not a triple changer? And then featured 2 other triple changers? Turns out the reason Blitzwing is Starscream is because this idiot thought that was basically true. Well, it is basically true. If you don't bother to take 5 minutes to learn anything about what we love. That type of nonsense isn't just disingenuous fan pandering, it's insulting and harmful to the brand. It's like JJ Abrams confusing Stormtroopers for Ewoks. Just because our brand features characters that convert doesn't mean that they are interchangeable. We must have standards or we have nothing in the end. I've warned this for a long time, hence you have 6 films of nothing.

• Like Like x 1
  11. SillyMcGilly

SillyMcGilly Well-Known Member

"It starred a female lead and was written by a woman" THAT'S NOT WHY IT WAS SUCCESSFUL! Glad it was, but all these political type comments being thrown in there for no reason are quite irritating. Still, hope this guy gets that we want a new story and Bumblebee's success indicates we want even more change for creative liberty away from Bay's movies.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Runamuck86

Runamuck86 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    bumblebee is a profitable .... great ..... so far ,  stand alone movie >:) 

13. Music

Music Primetimus Prime

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    I hate that this has to be pointed out in every thread but to clear the confusion, there is an actual Starscream in the film who looks different from Blitzwing. They are two different characters. Blitzwing is a random Seeker who happens to have the same name as the triple-changing Blitzwing. Hell, he wasn't even named in the film so you can call him Ramjet or whatever else you want. Plus, we have no idea if Travis chose the name. It could have been Hasbro as they deal with the trademark and merchandising.

Here's a great image someone made comparing the two:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 11
  14. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If a movie like Bumblebee is my punishment, then I’ll gladly endure some more.

• Like Like x 1
  15. jasonw

jasonw Well-Known Member

It costs money to sell garbage.

16. Murasame

Murasame

News Credits:
    This. It was the one movie where I was really happy to have seen it at the cinema. Maybe I go see it again. It was great :D 

Yeah, I want to see that. Imagine how the Decepticons build Trypticon and then that on the big screen. It would be ridiculous awesome.

If they were only in it because of bayhem and explosions... nothing lost.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  17. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    Well, theater cut is somewhere in the neighborhood of 50% (probably slightly less). Add in marketing, premier party, etc for a blockbuster and you get in the red fairly quickly. Still would take a fair amount of marketing to hit that negative number.

I am actually surprised that boxofficemojo put the final budget on Bumblebee as high as it was. I thought it was suppose to come in way under their estimate.

Edit: Side note, seeing the turnover at Paramount, it reminds me someone in the movie business said, if you don't like someone at the movie studio, don't worry about telling them to go F themselves, chances are they won't be there in 6 months.

18. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    This is a nice spin on things, but Paramount is in deep, deep trouble.

19. AnonymousDwell

AnonymousDwell Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yep. For me, this "Blizwing" is a great Starscream compared to the previous movie Starscreams... but this movie's actual Starscream is an even better Starscream. :lol  I seriously want Studio Series figures of every one of these movie designs. Something I could never say before personally. So it's actually succeeding in making me excited for toys, which is a nice and different feeling for me to have above the live action movies. :D 

I just mean, many fans of the live action films have expressed to me that they feel like a continuity they loved is being cut short in favor of a more G1 approach now. While I don't see it that way personally, as I'm still waiting for "my" ideal G1 live action movie, which Bee is extremely far from personally... I feel for those fans, for whom the movies were "their G1" as many have said, and don't want to see that continuity taken away from them because I know how that feels.

There's room for both imo. I honestly wish there were more concurrent continuities at a time in the movies and elsewhere personally, but that's just me and I know that would be a huge and expensive undertaking.

So instead I hope there can be some kind of "consolation gift" in the form of a cartoon or a comic book or what have you, just so they get the payoff and conclusion many of them feel they are missing out on now, because of the end of that continuity and how the last film kind of hinted at a new direction they wanted to see and now might not ever get to.

I'm trying to be respectful to movie fans, because my not liking a thing personally doesn't = that thing being invalid or not worth time for others.

• Like Like x 3
  20. oo a toi

oo a toi Well-Known Member

Wait, the film\'s screenplay was written by a woman and the main lead was a woman? nOw I hAvE tO sEe ThIs MoViE!!!