Paramount Abuzz Over Bumblebee Solo Flick

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Sixshot93, Nov 11, 2016.

1. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    Haha...okay, lol.

And good day to you!

No...no, they're not.

These movies have earned sequels because people have enjoyed them and because each one has been a MASSIVE success. Of course the investors want to make more! And of course they want to tie them in with previous, proven successes! If the moviegoing public in general wasn't interested we wouldn't be getting more.

There has literally been ONE Transformers film that wasn't an entirely self-contained story. You're overstating the problem and it isn't even a problem in the first place, lol.

Yeah, the first two TF films edged closer and closer to the billion dollar mark and the most recent two TF films actually PASSED the billion dollar mark. A great many people out there somewhere are CLEARLY enjoying these films. That's not really a stopping point for any sensible business model OR from an entertainer's point of view.

"Oh, no! These movies keep making BILLIONS of dollars but some people on the internet don't like them! Damn. I guess it's time to shut it down."

LOLWUT

o_O

Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
  2. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Yes, they are. This is no more evident than DC planning dozens of films that keep losing directors and having problems in production, or Sony planning a Ghostbusters Universe that it will be shocked ever happens.

Question:

What do we know about the Bumblebee movie? What have we been told about it? Or TF6? Used to be when a movie was coming out, we would hear shit about the movie. Now it's all "this film and that film are part of a new cinematic universe!" Not actually what the movies are about. Actually, we still don't even know much about what TF5 is about besides Knights and Merlin, which we haven't even been told officially.

It's feeling less about the films, more about the franchise.

I'm not talking about the previous TF movies, I'm talking about going forward.

Except it is a problem, because it means there's too much of everything, and it's all forced to be the same.

I haven't seen Civil War because honestly? I know it's just going to be more of the same Marvel I've seen plenty of. And from what I hear, I missed nothing. I think Edgar Wright being let go of Antman was when I knew things were going south in so far as movies being stand out, individual stories. It's about maintaining that average.

And that's Marvel, who have had plenty of hits. Transformers is the laughing stock, bottom of the barrel entertainment. They're going to be even more adverse to change and evolution than Marvel.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ChaosDonkey

ChaosDonkey Lord Brain

Hire the directors of turbo kid

• Like Like x 2
  4. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Lean Mean Angry Machine

News Credits:
    Because reboots is the key to how Transformers has survived as a Brand. As a toyline-based series, or at least that's what used to be the working model given Hasbro is still first and foremost a toy company, Transformers only has a limited window of time to appeal to a specific target age demographic of boys. And boys are going to be drawn in more by a series they can follow the story if they start closer to the beginning than in the middle, where they don't know events leading into it and will be driven off by being confused (because they're kids and their attention spans are like that of gnats after all).

The TF movies are approaching a decade of presence, the longest of any TF series to the point of outstripping G1 itself...and encountering the resulting problems. The 12 year olds the films were marketed to back in 2007 are now graduating college and getting jobs, etc. They don't have time or funds to burn on children's playthings and while they might still see the films, at most that's only a $12 movie ticket for a single showing - if they don't just wait for the rental to hit RedBox. The increasing level of human-related violence and adult humor also discourages parents from bringing kids to these films, thus bottlenecking the number of new kids coming in to replace those aging out of the target demographic, and as such toy sales would go down as well.

Are you describing the Transformers films, or the bait-and-switch pulled by The King and The Duke in Huckleberry Finn, where people said their 'show' was good to avoid looking like idiots who paid for what was promised to be a fantastic show...only to see a naked man pretend to be a horse for two hours?

• Like Like x 1
  5. CKPRIME

CKPRIME Banned

News Credits:
    Paramount doesn't care about toy sales though, and the point I was responding to was about after DoTM, which was only 4 years after the first movie.

6. Autobot Burnout

News Credits:
    But then how is AoE not just stopping short of a reboot in of itself? With all the Autobots killed off either before the film even starts or relatively quickly with little connection to what they did in the previous film, the only things necessary to know about where AoE picks up is a bunch of Decepticons died, including Megatron, and that there was a major battle in Chicago that's really pissed off humanity to the point the Autobots somehow are in no position to just go get protection from the government. And yes, as of now with what we know of TF5 bringing a bunch of characters back, it isn't as much of a semi-cold reboot anymore, but at this point last year absolutely nothing about TF5 was known to suggest otherwise, so that counterargument is only retroactive, much in the way you clarified how you only were talking immediately after DOTM and not the point we're at now.

Additionally, Paramount may not care about toy sales, but Hasbro owns the IP rights and I would think they do care about toy sales. After all, GI JOE sure seems to be doing not so hot after the plug was pulled on Renegades and the two film adaptions are all but forgotten these days.

7. CKPRIME

CKPRIME Banned

News Credits:
    Plot points in AoE are direct responses to events that happen in DoTM.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Ronbot1986

Ronbot1986 none

A NON-BAY! TF Yes and one more thing YES

9. BeePrime_WFCTX_106023

BeePrime_WFCTX_106023 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yep!! :) 

10. Autobot Burnout

News Credits:
    Too bad that couldn't have been extended to keeping more than two or three characters.

11. CKPRIME

CKPRIME Banned

News Credits:
    Have you been keeping up with TLK news? There are a lot of characters returning.

12. Livingdeaddan

Livingdeaddan DEFIANTLILHORDE

News Credits:
    Do you understand the nature of transience? People WILL get bored of anything. Most people can't watch the same movie 100 times.

The Super Sentai Power Rangers are a good example, they've been been going strong for 30 years or whatever, but they technically reboot every year to keep it fresh. Each generation hands over to the next by way of VS movies and handover episodes to keep a sense of continuity (and rinse a last bit of money out of last years suits!) Kamen Rider has the same system.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
  13. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movieverse fan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Old):
    Tumblr:
    i think he means as to why AOE could've not used more DOTM characters aside of Brains and that cameo of leadfoot

14. Ruthie

Ruthie Well-Known Member

*Bad-um tish* Good night, Everybody.

15. Rodimus

Rodimus The Prime Producer

I wish Bay respected more of the original source material because he's one heck of an action director. Only problem is it never felt like Transformers to me.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Autobot Burnout

News Credits:
    like, one decepticon that isnt megatron. oh sure the humans are back but that is not the same thing.

17. mattyou78

mattyou78 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Actually Hasbro were the ones who pushed for the knight thing in AOE. They provided the production team with background info about that Knights of Cybertron from the comics, same as they pushed for the Dinobots. Hasbro has more control than people think.

• Like Like x 1
  18. ChaosDonkey

ChaosDonkey Lord Brain

Do they earn more money on toy sales, or the movies?

19. BumblebeeFan71

BumblebeeFan71 Loyal Starscream Follower

YouTube (Old):
    Well the movies actually have a surprising amount of callbacks to G1, mainly concerning plots. It seemed with more films passed on, the more Bay grew more comfortable referencing previous source material.

I think the Transformers franchise might have grown on him, changing from a man who only agreed to do the films because Spielberg was a producer to someone that started caring for the material and feels like that it is his duty to give the fans these films since no other director seems interested in the idea and the positive encouragement he has received from the cast such as Peter Cullen encouraging him to continue on.

It probably does explain the improvement concerning the Transformers when it came to character development, Bay is caring more and more for the material he's working with. And now he's torn between the idea of letting someone else step in and breathe new life into the franchise or continuing to stay due to the need of the duty he feels like he needs to fulfill.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Sixshot93

Sixshot93 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hit the nail on the head there, mate.

While obviously Bay's not gonna direct 'Bee Movie (yes, really), and I imagine he won't direct any future installments, I'll always give Bay the credit he deserves. Always.

• Like Like x 1