Minor/Repaint: Paper-Replika Optimus Prime: Chapsy's Build

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by chapsy, Aug 12, 2010.

1. timshinn73

timshinn73 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Awesome work! Can't wait to see more!

2. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Aaaaaaand I shit bricks. Freaking awesome, dude.

3. autobotguy

autobotguy Well-Known Member

110lb cardstock? Hmm....so I guess the 24lb paper I just got won't work. :p  I think half the problem is that the instructions are really designed more towards people who have done extensive detailed papercrafting. There are alot of steps left out that a newb like me would find helpful. What glue would you recommend? I'm betting something that requires a brush as some of the glue tabs are ridiculously tiny. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. :thumb 

4. chapsy

chapsy Well-Known Member

really the instructions are pretty helpful. On the head the only part julius missed showing where to place was the underside of prime's chin. Took me a while to figure out how that piece went on. Aside from that the pieces are just a 3D model shown in an exploded view.
    If you're a newb though, I'd highly recommend viewing some tutorials at the yamaha website to get a better grasp on how to manage weird shaped parts like curved pieces and discs. It's hard at first but once you get a grip on how pieces go together it almost becomes second-nature.
    How to make Paper Craft Models | YAMAHA MOTOR
    24 lb. paper on huge projects like this would literally cave in on themselves after a while. Not to mention unsightly dents from where you apply pressure to the tabs when gluing. 110 lb cardstock is incredibly sturdy while still being fairly easy to manage with folds and bends. As mentioned earlier, the georgia pacific cardstock at walmart works wonders. I use it on all my projects.
    As for glue, Aleen's(sp?) Tacky Glue works awesome, and can also be purchased at walmart. Each tube is maybe a couple bucks.(the worst parts on this project are going to be the ink and the paper, bear that in mind)
    As for applying the glue, people do it differently. I only use a toothpick to spread glue around tight spots, other than that I apply just enough to each tab and sort of spread it around and adhere them a couple tabs at a time. especially on curved parts/discs. There's some good techniques in those yamaha videos too.
    If you have any questions on what to do with a specific part, or need advice, feel free to ask :) 
    Hope that helps!

5. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Color me awed.

6. John_Force

John_Force 16xNHRA Funny Car Champ TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    So, lemme get this straight. One sheet of that cardstock weights 110Lbs. Or am I just reading it wrong?

I'm speechless. It looks like a CG model.

7. Paxtin

Paxtin ...

That's paper!? Damn! That's friggen amazing.

8. chapsy

chapsy Well-Known Member

thanks! truth be told that's how most papercrafts start out ;P

from my understanding, paper density in the US is the weight of an uncut ream of paper(not the packs sold to the customer.)
    So yea, an uncut, raw ream of 110 lb cardstock weigh 110 lbs. :) 

9. John_Force

News Credits:
    One sheet of that weights 110 lbs. Dayum
    Your gonna look like Stallone when ur done.

10. chapsy

chapsy Well-Known Member

one ream is 500 sheets lol

11. John_Force

News Credits:
    Ah, I knew I was missing something. Still looks awesome,though.

12. chapsy

chapsy Well-Known Member

*update* finally got all the parts scored. Starting to work on cutting and assembling the pieces at the moment. Only have the shoulder joint and part of the upper arm frame assembled, but it's a start!

13. autobotguy

autobotguy Well-Known Member

Jeez...the super tiny pieces of the head are hard as hell to assemble! I love how the instructions don't even bother to mention allot of the parts. For instructions you have to show individual parts building a component before you show how all the components assemble together. Its about like taking the 3 trainbots that form JRX and just showing them in their component modes, then just showing them together. There has got to be more accurate instructions out there somewhere for paper-prime.

14. chapsy

chapsy Well-Known Member

which parts are you talking about? if it's the side vents, then yea, those were hard for me to manage too.
    If you're having trouble figuring out other parts feel free to ask me. I've been there and figured it out, so I should be able to help.
    I agree with the lack of detail in the instructions. While Julius is awesome for making his models from scratch and sharing them free of charge, they could use some work.
    He doesn't test build any of his models(though he does warn of this, to be fair), so that leads to errors and up-in-the-air instructions at times.
    another thing to keep in mind with the parts is that a lot of the parts are so large they have to be split into multiple pieces to make the single component for the respective section.
    i.e.: if the side of the head is piece...20, and there's 3 parts that are numbered 20, then all three of those parts will need to be put together to form the whole piece 20. It's tricky and confusing, but if you test fit and reference the picture and the placement of white areas, you'll figure it out.
    hope that helps!

15. nemesisconvoy

nemesisconvoy Gundam Pilot

I want one !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. chapsy

chapsy Well-Known Member

progress report:
    made the frame for the left arm, as well as the frame for the hand.
    good stopping point for tonight. will pick up tomorrow.

Attached Files:

17. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator

News Credits:
    Absolutely fabulous.. as someone who is a papercrafter, I can appreciate the time, the amount of products used and the gorgeous results:thumb  Prime has never looked better..in paper no less!! Awesome is over-used in these forums at times, but your work is a feast for the eyes..just Awesome :D  I was wondering about the arms so thanks for the last update..Keep posting those updates and it's very kind of you to offer to assist others who wish to try making their own version. :thumb 

18. chapsy

chapsy Well-Known Member

holy crap these arms are tedious!
    got the left arm done thanks to my wife, as well as a thumb. Got the four fingers and the right arm left to do, and then this monster will be all done!

Attached Files:

19. mampy

mampy Movie-Accurate Mampy

News Credits:
    This is sick! Can't wait to see it finished.

20. chapsy

chapsy Well-Known Member

sorry for the lack of updates, work's been super busy lately.
    have the fingers on the right hand to do and that's it.
    not posting any pics because it's so close to being done.
    gonna bust out the nice sony when it's all said and done and take some really nice pics.
    almost there! bear with me a little while longer :)