Customs: Painting figures: why is factory paint always much hardier than any paints we use?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Soundwave3k, Dec 20, 2014.

1. Soundwave3k

Soundwave3k TFW2005 Supporter

This question has been bugging me for a while. I primarily use acrylic paints if I have to touch something up or customize a figure. However, no matter how well I clean, sand, let the paint dry, and polish it, I can't seem to apply paint that is as resistant to chipping or damage as factory paint.

Is it because I am using acrylics versus enamels, or is there something else fundamentally different about factory applied paints?

Thanks for your help!

2. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    What's your sealer?

3. Soundwave3k

I've only used Future/Pledge as my sealer. Is there something else you would recommend?

4. AlexG

AlexG Triple Changer

well since factories don't use sealer, that's probably not it.

I'm just spit-balling here, but

my first guess is that factories use paint that is hazardous while wet/being applied but is completely safe once cured, whatever chemical they use gives the paint a really strong bond with the plastic, but makes it such that the paint is not commercially available to hobbyists.

my second guess is that the paint they uses is somewhat of a cross between dye and paint and both allows them to get good color with a very thin coat and to get the paint to stick extremely well to the plastic.

just my :2c: 

5. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod

News Credits:
    A long time ago I airbrushed a banner for someone using a form of paint made for vinyl material. It came in a can and required thinner to clean. I tried it on a Gundam model, and to this day I can't scrape the paint off of it.
    The paint's out there, but not at basic hobby stores. I think the person who had it ordered it from a supplier of some sort.
    Sorry this is so vague, but this was from about 15 years ago.

6. Soundwave3k

Interesting. I've had much better luck with Krylon Fusion than any other paint, where it's almost as hardy as factory paint, but unfortunately the color choices don't match up all that well with most of the factory colors on TFs.

7. David Hingtgen

David Hingtgen Chromaticon

News Credits:
    Why is it so much more durable? China. The stuff they use isn't California-friendly, and not even US-friendly most of the time. (and nowadays, if something isn't CA-approved, most of the time companies simply won't ship/allow it in the US at all, as CA is such a huge chunk of the US market)

IIRC, a lot of the "paint" used in Chinese factories isn't even what we'd call paint. More like an ink that dries very hard.

8. Zildjian

Zildjian Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yep, it is a HIGHLY toxic form of PVC paint. It is ONLY highly toxic in liquid form, but completely harmless in solid form. It is banned in all applications in the USA.

9. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    We need to find a black market for that stuff. I'd only paint outside and still use a gas mask to protect myself.

10. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I figure it's because they're able to apply it using different means than hand-painting, and to a plastic surface that is fresh/specially prepared to receive the paint. There may also be a curing stage for the factory applied paint.

11. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Even it flakes and chips on parts too.

12. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

Yeah, the PVC paint. Crazy stuff. Hazardous in liquid form, but a kid could gnaw on it all day in cured and be okay.

13. seanb47

seanb47 FB:SBee'sCustomCreations IG@sbees_custom_creations

Ebay:
    Lol! That is just a hilarious statement.