Minor/Repaint: Painting bots and bits

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by MrUniqZ, Feb 2, 2020.

1. MrUniqZ

MrUniqZ Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    This may be the last post in awhile before I finish my current project. Falcon and Skydive are being prepped. Airbrush again..dramatically sped up body coloration.

I want to do more with these two. Skydive needs custom wings. I have styrene, as an option. Falcon, I found a stealth bomber model kit that is the same dimension as the nose/wings on the back and I’m 99% sure will fit. I don’t want to cut the original so I’ll be checking on a KO. Once I customize the KO part it’s just a matter of swapping the backs.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 7
  2. The Fallen

The Fallen Well-Known Member

All of this is looking good and I can't wait to see how awesome the final result is. SkyQuake's paint job turned out amazing with the airbrush.

3. MrUniqZ

Ebay:
    Ok I lied it wasn’t my last post but phase 1 is complete. Now for the hard part...lol. Sticker sets, finishing gestalt mode, and jet customizations. I have those L shaped wings that need to go on Talon. I have no idea how to get the pins out safely atm. Skydive needs new wings and some leg minor leg mods. Falcon will be wearing the stealth kit. And finish the thrust pack for sky quake(it will double as an arm cannon).

I’ve also gathered the parts and paint for their Autobot opposites(guess who). Luckily Hasbro has came through on Rotorstorm. I’m still a little undecided on the car modes bodies for Flash and Boss because I’ve seen Sunstreaker and Dead End/Prowl used interchangeably in my two favorite example sets.

Update: started on flash while I wait for my parts to arrive. Snagged a g2 recolor to save me time. I could have/should have used my G2 for boss but I took it as a personal challenge to use Sunstreaker. Airbrush to the rescue again because I just blasted the body will Tamiya sky blue. There aren’t many scrape points on the figure so I could take that approach. Their chest pieces are being prepped.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
    • Like Like x 10
  4. MrUniqZ

Ebay:
    Here is the modified Skydive with trapezoidal wings taken from a f-22 raptor model kit and reinforced with styrene. All I had to do was mount/glue them on the wing base. I contemplated modifying the cockpit with the one from my kit for a more total conversion(the size works) but removing those awful rubber fins was good enough. While I was waiting on the kit, I finished Flash.

I have a transforming stealth bomber body for Falcon now, just need to finish shaping/sanding the body and paint.

Quick tip for smoothing those rough shapeways parts. Wet sand progressively from 800->1000->2000. Primer coat then wet sand 1000->2000. Clear coat(I prefer enamel), dry, wet sand 2000 or higher(maybe even polish wi scratch x). Ready for painting.

Update: I have a test fit for Falcon from the KO a member here sold to me. The jet body is lightly higher than the legs but I may not worry about that. The kits does have a small tail piece that was cut. May add those to the robot legs to have the full jet shape..but he looks roughly the same outline as the G1 which was a stealth bomberish thing. He’s about twice as heavy because of the putty. If anyone is curious all these kits I’m using are 1/144 scale. With putty you can attach and shape almost anything to the robot bodies.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
    • Like Like x 9
  5. MrUniqZ

Ebay:
    Here is the test fit for the stealth pack, it’s solid. Going to change the arms out since the shoulders were bulky. I’m leaning toward the pack being the gray/blue of the toy while his bot mode remains gray.

I saw a show case version(which is well hidden in a forum) where they had this molds legs seemingly folded underneath during transformation. No clue how to pull that off.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
    • Like Like x 10
  6. GM Orion

GM Orion Well-Known Member

I was thinking Landfill might be a cool name for the combiner too! Really cool work btw! Really digging the custom parts. It reminds me of the Maiden Japan kits that were circulating a while back!

• Like Like x 1
  7. MrUniqZ

Ebay:
    Is my thread your first post? Cool! Yea I get ideas and when I see some of the amazing stuff people do here..I couldn’t help but to try it too. Especially when guys like Steamshield, Ariel produce these awesome models. Gotta do them justice.

So Turbomasters are next. Nothing that hasn’t been done here already but my own take on them. The only gap are the turbo master guns. They haven’t been modeled...and a lot of the parts on EBay seem to be overseas. Speaking of which, I have an idea for doing an integrated gun in Boss alt mode but I would need a gun modeled with an L shaped 5mm stalk. Unless I model the guns myself, I won’t be able to.

• Like Like x 3
  8. MrUniqZ

Ebay:
    Falcon completed. The two tone decision I went for seems to have paid off. Model kit body is sturdy but does need to be handled with care. Not as strong as abs plastic, may look for metal to strengthen the frame in the future. This nearly completes the predators set, except for touch ups...weapons..and decals. Gotta figure out how to customize the combiner head.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 9
  9. Srednam

Srednam All great creations start with an idea.

Facebook:
    YouTube:
    I recently joined this forum, but looking through this tread, you've really done some great customs (I really like the Junkion combiner at the beginning of this tread) and can't wait to see the Gestalt you're working on here.

I read that you were struggling with thrusters, buying (expensive?) model sets for parts. Maybe just a thought, but in local hardware stores you can buy all kind of plastic plugs in several diameters from which you can create thrusters. I have found plastic parts for several of my customs there relatively cheap ;) .

10. MrUniqZ

Ebay:
    I saw where someone built a turbomaster weapon like you suggested. I’ll see what I can find!

11. Srednam

Srednam All great creations start with an idea.

Facebook:
    YouTube:
    For my second version of Nosecone, I used a CW Brawl figure, cut off a piece of the barrel, bought this strange looking plug in the local hardware store and painted it silver.
    (But to be honest: In my last version I replaced it with the Steam Shield/Shapeways set, because as a combiner leg it looks better.)

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
  12. MrUniqZ

Ebay:
    While put finishing touches on predators, I’m working on Scorch and I’m borrowing the magnet idea(yea I bought a lot of magnets) from Cluttered Desk. I’m scratch building connection points to retain the hinged hood when needed but be able to detach and snap to the chest. I’m going to square up the torso so magnets will sit flush/sunken into his chest. Hoping to finish Boss also b/c the Tamiya sky blue is so lovely.

13. NecroTron77

NecroTron77 Well-Known Member

Man, you have gotta start posting before and after pics of your customs. I really am struggling to tell on 90% what you even painted, the finish is superb. Airbrush or bristles?

• Like Like x 1
  14. MrUniqZ

Ebay:
    I can do that, before 5 weeks ago it was all bristles but I’ve started incorporating airbrush to save time. They are model master acrylics mostly and they brush well. I bought Tamiya for the airbrush though and I’m switching exclusively eventually. I’m still not use to brushing with Tamiya..needs more thinner than MM.

BTW: Here is a photo of the group in alt mode..pre-decal. The paint apps are about 95% done.

I’ll be transitioning to Turbomasters fully afterward. I have plans for Crankcase, Dogfight, Windsweeper(have TFCC body) after that.

There are G2 groups I’m planning. And I may take a stab at a few skyscorchers( no heads on Shapeways?).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
    • Like Like x 8
  15. SwittCraft

SwittCraft Pop Culture Custom Creator ️ TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Amazing job man! Love the clean paint apps!

Maybe were gonna have to have our Junkion Combiners fight!

JunkPuncher
    IMG_20190813_194903.jpg

DeadWeight (Shattered Glass JunkPuncher)
    IMG_20191110_212957.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  16. MrUniqZ

Ebay:
    Just wanted to show y’all my wip build for scorch. For anyone wanting to do a hood chest, I think this is a good way to turn it into a sold partsformer without too much headache.

Magnets are key. You also, don’t want to destroy the hinge but carefully cut away so that the rod remains. You can then take some pliable metal and recreate the mechanism except this time it allows you to use magnets to detach. JB weld is strong enough to hold the magnets in place once they set. I also have magnets in the corner to snap to the chest. Some cutting away at the torso is needed to get the hood closer. The sweet part about the hinge is that it can hide in his back in robot mode. In combined mode the hood will be loose but gravity should keep it in place.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 6
  17. MrUniqZ

Ebay:
    Here is Scorch in his beta form(beside a Crankcase planned repaint). He transforms exactly the same, just pop the hood into position. And he still rolls luckily, he can only function as a stiff leg due to how I built out the chest. He’s twice as heavy due to the support I built into the chest.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 9
  18. MrUniqZ

Ebay:
    I was inspired by your work to keep going further with customs.

• Like Like x 1
  19. SwittCraft

SwittCraft Pop Culture Custom Creator ️ TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Yer gonna make me cry over here man! Thank you! ♥️

• Like Like x 1
  20. MrUniqZ

Ebay:
    Here is the painted Scorch(looking like an LSU mascot) thanks to Steamshield for the head and Cluttered Desk for the concept. Once he dries more, I’ll post more photos. He’s just adding to the list of decals I have to make.

Still no luck finding an option to scratch build a turbomaster gun. They are very unique accessories even by Transformer standards so duplicating the look is a challenge. It makes me appreciate modelers’ efforts on Shapeways more b/c a lot of these projects would take far longer without those parts being already available.

At this point I can experiment with 3D modeling which I’m not the best at, or make ver generic ones from from a plane kit or LEGO. I feel like this set wouldn’t be complete without them.

Update: Assembled pic of Scorch.

Hurricane body in the background. He is just a repaint of POTP Jazz with a pearl/satin finish and new head. I cut the kneepads. He’s a bit boring, without the decals.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
    • Like Like x 8