Customs: Painting a resin figure (not Tformer related, concerns Big Daddy figure)

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by ShimSham, Sep 8, 2007.

1. ShimSham

ShimSham Mr. Fahrenheit

Okay, I'm mainly asking you guys because it's pretty apparent many of you know what you're doing when it comes to mods, paints and whatnot.

Here's the figure in question. A bouncer Big Daddy from the BioShock limited edition.

[​IMG]

He's resin.

I want to paint his eye-holes. Big Daddies either have fluorescent green or red eyes, depending on if they're about to murder something or not.

I'd like to paint them like this (preferably green, but if there's a reason why red would look better that's do-able)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any recommendations on paint or paint techniques for something like this? I have a small amount of experience with small detail work on some transformers.

I didn't know if there were factors I should consider when painting resin or if there were any particular paints or techniques that would better help achieve the fluorescent look.

2. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    No advice as I haven't got one or any any negative experience painting pvc, but I really want to repaint one of these Big Daddys and or Kitbash a larger version of him. I'm trying to convince one of my buddies to let me have a go at one of theirs :) 

Good luck with yours though.

3. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    How big is it? That could help a lot.

4. ShimSham

ShimSham Mr. Fahrenheit

He's right around 5 1/2 to 6 inches tall.

5. Chaos Convoy

Chaos Convoy Dai Gurren-Dan member

News Credits:
    I came into this thread thinking it was about the Micromaster Big Daddy (despite the warning of being not tf related).

What I would do is either paint the lenses a base coat of silver or white, then put a clear green paint over that so it looks like it's shining. That, or white with a green ring that blends into it toward the center of the lens. The second one would probably look better, but it'd be harder to pull off, I'd think. Acrylic paint should be good to paint with as it doesn't react with anything like enamel and paint thinner could and is easier to work with.

6. ShimSham

ShimSham Mr. Fahrenheit

Thanks, that helps out a lot actually. I'll definitely try those.