Customs: Paint Markers

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Keith Prime, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Keith Prime

Keith Prime Advanced Engineer

News Credits:
    I'm considering converting a Prime CJ into a General Lee, like so many others, but I'm not that good w/ a brush & want to keep costs low, so I went looking for other materials.

I found something called Paint Markers, but was told by the guy at the shop that they'd rub off of plastic. I was wondering if anyone could confirm or debunk that?

I'm just planning on changing only the exposed car panels to orange & adding the blue X & stars to an unpainted roof.

I don't remember what brand they were.

I was also wondering about how good Shapies would work, as those would be cheaper & came w/ the same warning of rubbing off, plus being a bit transparent?

2. Kickedbaq

Kickedbaq Well-Known Member

if you're going cheap... you should be able to pick up some rustoleum or krylon plastic paint or primer in orange. if not, pick a black to use as your base coat and put the orange on over top of that. use waterslide decals or printable stickers for the flag and the lettering. for the parts you don't want to paint mask them off with tape or coat them with petroleum jelly. so, you going to put an uncle jessie head on it? you've got a great idea there.

but, yes most paint markers will come off unless they're montanna or belton which are fantastic for graffiti but still wouldn't work well on your project. your best bet is krylon or rustoleum plastic paint/primer.

look forward to seeing the finished project.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  3. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

To be honest, hobby paint (Testors, Tamiya, etc.) or a spray-on paint like Krylon would work much better for this project.

Sharpies are never really a good idea as they're prone to discoloring over time. Also, the coverage wouldn't be nearly as good as actual paint. The streaks would be too much of a dead giveaway.

I have paint pens, but I use them for detailing or to fill in minor areas that I may have missed with a brush.

::EDIT::

And I know you said you're not good with a brush, but you should probably try to rectify that. It can come in pretty handy.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  4. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    Yeah, sounds like the best way to go for you for this project is taping off the wheels, windows, etc. and using spray paint. Check out the spray paint tutorials...

5. Keith Prime

News Credits:
    Dukes of Hazard was on when I was a little kid, so I don't remember the Uncle Jessie head.

Also, I'm not the only one who had the idea (though, I did come up w/ it on my own, based on just how much CJ looks like the General Lee as is). But I'm just planning on painting just the car panels, I'll leave the rest of CJ alone, which that first one shows shouldn't look too bad.

I also have very limited options on where to get art supplies, so I don't know if I'll be able to find the materials you listed.

A head injury messed up my motor skills, so even markers probably would've been difficult to make straight lines w/. :( 

My place isn't ventilated well enough for spray paint.

This would be my first attempt to paint anything since Shop Class well over a Decade ago, which is why I'm trying to avoid paint.

Also, the only other TF Custom anything I've done was my Lego MP Trailer + Roller & Combat Deck for use in my comic.

Thanks for the comments, but if I actually go through & do this, it might be a long while before I start. I always knew that this project could be beyond my post-accident ability, price range & available materials, so I don't want to start unless I know I can finish, as well as do it in a manner I will be satisfied with.

I asked about the Paint Markers I ran across (no clue on brand) because several customizes have mentioned using Gundam Markers, but I don't know where to get those nor how much they are.

6. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I'd still defer to the responses advising you against the markers, though. Markers are typically good at detailing only.

Also, I think good therapy for your motor skills would be learning to use a brush a bit more.

Find a good spot outside when the weather is right :wink: 

7. Keith Prime

News Credits:
    That's why I posted about the Markers. No point starting if what I thought about using won't work for it. & I didn't rule out using paint, it just isn't something I'm currently prepared to use.

First, my condition makes moving around outside alone a bit dangerous. The head injury severely screwed up my balance, among other things.

Second, I've never used spray paint before, & I have nothing to practice on before trying it w/ Prime Cliffjumper.

I'm also trying to keep costs down if I do this, as my injury also left me w/ no income & a limited about in the bank from the settlement.

I'd like to try this custom, but only if circumstances allow it. Part of those circumstances include managing to get out to try find the proper materials, when it isn't safe for me to drive either. It's hard enough to get out to get the few TFs I want these days, which requires getting a ride. Luckily, it seems Hasbro isn't releasing too many more I have an interest in for a while.

8. hthrun

Ebay:
    If you're unable to use a brush for this you wouldn't be able to use paint markers.

9. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

I'm sorry to hear. That said, I'm at a loss as to what I can recommend to you. It doesn't really sound like your living, financial, or health conditions are all that conducive to customizing. Usually, I try to encourage people to step up their game a bit if they're feeling apprehensive about customizing. You're only as good as you'll allow yourself to be. With customizing, most (if not all) skills are acquired through some combination of experience/practice and innate talent. Whatever deficiencies you might have dissipate with more exposure to the craft. After all, practice makes perfect.

I wish you the best. I really do. It's just difficult to dole out advice and encouragement when people are already selling themselves short and/or tied up with restrictions.

I'd be willing to do this for you at no charge once my workload lightens up a bit, just so you can get the figure that you desire, but I don't want that to conflict with whatever encouragement I'm offering.

10. MasterxBlaster

MasterxBlaster THUGFORMER

News Credits:
    Everyone pretty much answered what i would have suggested, but painting with a brush takes a while to master, the more you do it, the better you will understand to control it, I'd definitely suggest just painting even strokes on some paper making different shapes (RECTANGLES, TRIANGLES ETC) in the future, when you have the means to do so, since spray cans are out of the question.

That is hella nice of you bro, to offer up your skills to a fellow boardie for free like that! I commend your compassionate nature man!

11. Keith Prime

News Credits:
    That is a very nice offer, & I'll try to keep it in mind (my memory was also affected), but I wasn't even considering asking someone else to help me out w/ it. I did want to do the custom myself, & my thought on using markers, if they were feasible, was it's something I could practice w/ cheaply & w/o the chance of mess/ accidents before starting. But, as I said, my motor-skills were damaged, from the point I went from very precise balance & control to clumsy & accident prone, which is VERY frustrating (I am extra careful w/ my TFs now -- & I like mine complex -- as I've dropped plates & stuff; I actually am hoping continuing to fiddle w/ my TFs & acquiring new ones might be therapeutic, both in memory & keeping some of my dexterity & control of my hands). The accident is years old, & I don't seem to be getting better :( , but it does seem to be stable. :) 

So, let me know when you would have time to do it, & please don't bother doing anything special on my account to make the time, if I haven't found a way to do it myself, & we'll discuss the possibility further. If shipping wouldn't be much more than the materials, it might be financially feasible (I'm not wanting to pay as much for the paint job as I did for the figure, around 1/2 the price is easier to justify).

This is by no means a must-do for me, but it is a lot of the reason why I broke my 'no same character (per show/ line) rule' & bought both molds. As soon as I saw Prime CJ, I immediately thought of the Dukes of Hazard County. Due to the G1 head, I was planning on painting the GDO version.

12. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

No problem. Do you partake in any kind of physical therapy to help with your motor skills?

13. hthrun

Ebay:
    Keith, your typing is excellent for someone with your condition!

14. Kickedbaq

Kickedbaq Well-Known Member

sorry to hear about your situation... i'll second satomiblood's offer to paint him up for you.

also, do not be scared to try things out.

the paint can be found a walmart for about $4 a can.

put vaseline/ petroleum jelley on anything you do not want to be orange. you can use this as your brush practice. to keep fumes down spray into a cardboard box or plastic container and do it next to an open window if possible. really the biggest error in spraying a piece is spraying too close and the other is to "wave" the spray back and forth. move in a linear fashion and in one direction. this will keep the paint from running. go really light first coat. make it look somewhat dusty. let it set up and then put on one or two more coats.

if you mess him up... it's not a big deal. most artists paint over their work all the time. errors happen but you will not learn unless you try. also, if you need it fixed after you give things a whirl just send me a message and i'll fix it for you.

good luck.

15. Keith Prime

News Credits:
    I did initially, but it didn't seem to be helping & funding was dropped after a few weeks. I'm now living off a settlement, so I can't get all the TFs, anime, or games I want anymore.

Well, if you'd look at my sig, I edit my posts often. Frequently fixing mistakes made, often before they're noticed by others. I also triple-check my posts before hitting submit (& I still miss stuff).

I also paid attention during my English classes back in school, so I'm one of those who use correct grammar. Though, I intentionally do double contractions & use TF & 80's slang to some degree. Can't be grammatically correct all the time, or people complain.

The place I live at is pretty old. Nearly all the windows no longer can stay open (if they can open at all), & none anywhere I could use spray paint. If I attempt it myself & have to use paint, I'd be more comfortable w/ a brush, which I had used in the past, though not for something where I had to avoid painting some parts (especially something as tiny as the Autobot emblem on the "gas cap").

& thanks for the additional offer.