Customs: Paint for Soft Plastic

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by smiller0570, Dec 15, 2016.

1. smiller0570

smiller0570 Maximal

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ok so need some advice on something. What would be the best paint to use on soft plastic/rubber? I don't want to mess up my Titans Return Mindwipe that I am turning into Swoop wings. Would a painters pen be ok or should I stick with Testors/Model Masters? Thanks!

2. Snaku

Snaku Primes Don't Party

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't really know the answer to this but I would think a flexible material covered in an inflexible paint would lead to some pretty bad cracking. You might want to look into something flexible like plasticote. That might have its disadvantages as well since plasticote is kinda meant to be able to be pealed off. As I said, I don't really know.

3. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Acrylic is your best friend for these materials. That's what's used for the likes of the marvel legends figures and such.

• Like Like x 1
  4. grimlockprime

grimlockprime Well-Known Member

coat the soft plastic in brush-on super glue.after it dries it creates a surface that acrylics can bond to.

5. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Superglue still cracks horribly if the plastic piece is bent. You'd need a LOT, which would distort details. I've done it and wouldn't recommend it.
    Personally, I like to clean the piece with rubbing alcohol then use acrylic latex paint. The paint does bond and is flexible enough to withstand bending.

Incidentally, I've also used acrylic latex paint to make 'skin'. Put a thick coat on some mylar and let it dry. It peels right off, and is flexible enough to use as capes, scarves, belts, whatever.

• Like Like x 1