Non-TF: Paint drying station

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Autobot00, Apr 14, 2020.

1. Autobot00

Autobot00 Well-Known Member

Hello fellow customizers and those who inspire to become one. Today I'm coming to you not with a custom transformer but something I use to make my customs. As the title suggests its a paint drying station. One of the things i hate is waiting for the paint to dry to put on that next coat. Drying time and cure time can take hours depending on the paint used if left to just air dry. So without further delay lets check out my PAINT DRYING STATION!

The paint drying station is made of a few cheap things you can get or may have laying around the house. Here it is fully assembled waiting for a painted piece. The main object is a standard plastic tote. I bought this one at target for about $5.
    20200220_220215.jpg 20200220_220305.jpg

Taking the lid i drilled holes where i wanted my "helping hands". To make the helping hands i took a short screw (i had a bunch from door hinges), took some copper wire and looped the end and screwed them to the lid. On the other end i attached a gator clip. Finally i grinded off the pointy ends of the screw and used hot glue on the underside to cover any sharp edges. These helping hands are what will hold figure pieces. I probably went a little overboard on the amount but meh. I got options.
    20200220_220219.jpg 20200220_220225.jpg

With the tote i bought cooling fans that are actually designed to cool electronics like Xbox and such. these were $20 for the pair and have a USB end. All you need is a USB wall adapter to power them. These have the highest cooling i found for what i wanted. To fit the fans i cut holes just large enough for the fan blade and smaller than the casing, drilled holes at the feet and screwed them in. On the inside there is a piece of window air conditioner filter i cut to prevent hair and dust blowing into it. Probably should have taken a better pic showing the filter. Vent holes are drilled into the sides of the tote so the air is vented out.
    20200220_220231.jpg 20200220_220244.jpg

And when its all said and done you have yourself a paint drying station.
    (pay no attention to my latest custom within :O)
    20200220_220311.jpg 20200413_204153.jpg

Acrylic paint dries to the touch quickly on its own but to fully cure it can take 24 hours. This drying station pretty much has it cured in less than an hour. Even thick coats are dry in about 5-10 minutes. For anyone needing/wanting to apply multiple coats in a short amount of time this is perfect for that.

And for anyone interested here is a parts list
    Tote - depending on size you can get whatever you want. I got mine from target
    Small Clear Latching Storage Bin - Made By Design™

Fans are from amazon
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JLV4BWC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Gator clips are from amazon.
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01B647W3G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Filter from amazon
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B002GKC2US/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Copper wire you can get at any hardware store.

Screws you can get at any hardware store.

I hope you enjoyed this little custom paint drying station and if you have any questions or comments please feel free to leave them.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 17
  2. Scarlet knight

Scarlet knight Emergency Food Connoisseur

News Credits:
    Very cool i like it

3. KraegorStark

KraegorStark Well-Known Member

YouTube (Custom URL):
    Nice!

I throw my parts in my 3D printer beside the deck and run a print. I usually only have to do that with Krylon spray paints. My Testors usually dry in an hour.

4. Toker

Toker Well-Known Member

This is a great idea. I wouldn't need a fan, but I would probably just attach the wire and clips to a spare piece of wood just to let them air dry. Found my next project.

5. Lunatic Prime

Lunatic Prime Former Prime and light piping fetishist

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nice build.
    What's that Megatron becoming?

6. Autobot00

ty

ty

yeah, i made one like that a long time ago. You can buy "professional" ones and they are called helping hands. very easy to make.

ty. I'll give you a hint, the father of the wreckers.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Lunatic Prime

Lunatic Prime Former Prime and light piping fetishist

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    After already having seen @KraegorStark's custom of him with Warrior class Megatron I had a good guess :p 
    But I am absolutely not familiar with this character. I am pretty familiar with the IDW Wreckers but he never appeared with them (as far as I remember).

• Like Like x 1
  8. Autobot00

yeah to be honest I'm not familiar either other than reading who he was on TFwiki. But I've been on a kick trying to complete the wreckers and thought "how can i not have this guy?". and thus.....

• Like Like x 1
  9. ziltama

ziltama Mods, molds, and casts. Also full of hot gas.

News Credits:
    Interesting idea, and yeah, the filters are a must to avoid dust. The only way I see to make this even faster would be adding a heat source, even if it's just a nearby heat lamp.

10. minsok

minsok Well-Known Member

This is pretty cool and I need to do some spray painting tomorrow. I wonder if I can find alligator clips at Walmart or a hardware store.

11. kalron

kalron Technician/Sculptor

News Credits:
    I have a few old server fans like this that would work perfectly for this. Excellent idea!

12. Autobot00

I thought about this and amazon sells a tiny personal heater that would be perfect but i was afraid of it melting the tote so i scrapped the idea.

you should be able to. it works great for spray paint. Since it dries it much faster the smell goes away quickly. I did 2 coats yesterday morning before i left for work and when i came home it was dried, cured and no smell.

yup. the you tube video i found for this actually uses PC fans. I chose the fans i did because i already had a pair for my Roku and i knew they were good so i just went with those.

13. minsok

minsok Well-Known Member

Made mine. It's good for keeping the desert dust out. Total cost was probably $16, but more importantly only took 30 min to assemble. I did one little modification where I fastened nuts to the screws since the plastic is so flimsy. This is exactly what I needed for this project!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  14. Autobot00

looks good. glad i could help you out.