Pacific Rim Toy Discussion

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by FanimusMaximus, Feb 2, 2013.

1. CyrDraconis

CyrDraconis Well-Known Member

Next pair of McFarlane minifigures on my desk, Cherno Alpha and Knifehead! Nothing new to speak of regarding the buildings or micro vehicles, so...

Cherno's blocky design is actually a little better visually at this scale, though I feel the green is a little light and/or yellow. Only painted detail is black on the front of the turbines, the outside of the shoulders, and the forearms; and one little splot of orange for the cockpit. Same vague grey wash as Gipsy on the hat and the front of the legs, and nowhere else. Articulation is down to eight points from Gipsy's (corrected) 9 - no movement on the hat; but similar simple rotating shoulders, 90-ish-degree elbows, simple rotating hips that can move forward but not back because of the butt plate, and 90-ish-degree knees. Still hard to get any real kind of pose out of the joints, but the big square feet help with what little you can do, and you can at least get the arms up into a rough "I'mma punch you" pose. Speaking of the arms, the proportions feel a little weird because they seem to be sculpted with the extend-o-punch, uh, extended. Which kinda gives 'im gorilla arms, but it's not horrible.

Knifehead fares a bit better in the looks department over Otachi. A vaguely more correct shade of grey-green, they got an approximation of the yellow glow just on the big arms (that looks more like lightning bolt tattoos), and a splash of neon blue for the eyes, mouth, and 'tears' connecting the two. Technically one POA up with five, but it's again a little weird. Head and tail still have nothing; big arms are simple swivel at the shoulders; little arms have an angled swivel. Got nothing in the hips or legs either - the legs look like separate sculpts but they don't move, or at least on my copy they're so tight that I'm not gonna force them. Instead for the fifth POA there's an ab balljoint that allows a bit of bend in every direction. It doesn't accomplish much, but you can get a little lean out of it. Unlike Otachi, Knifey can't rest on his feet and tail - if you don't have one hand down, he's just gonna fall over; on the other hand - pun acknowledged and ignored - both big hands are splayed open instead of having one dedicated to a palm-down position, so you can use either to support the figure. Still janky overall, but you have at least your choice of big arms and can twist the little ones around.

Redeco/remold game:
    Cherno never had accessories in any of its scenes, so the only physical modification could be non-punchy arms. The only real deco option would be night palette/battle damage.
    Knifehead, again, pretty limited; a battle damage/wounded deco is about it. Any remolding, you'd basically have to pull a NECA and turn him into Axehead/Trespasser.

• Like Like x 2
  2. SHINOBI03

SHINOBI03 Well-Known Member

Bought the entire McFarlane Toys set. And yes, I did not buy them for the figures. This is the kind of collection you go for everything included but the main toys unless you're into this scale and style. The Jeagers are fine, more articulated than what I expected, but the Kaiju are a mixed bag with their inconsistent engineering.
    DSC03589.JPG
    DSC03590.JPG DSC03596.JPG DSC03599.JPG DSC03600.JPG DSC03601.JPG DSC03603.JPG DSC03608.JPG DSC03609.JPG DSC03615.JPG DSC03616.JPG DSC03620.JPG DSC03622.JPG DSC03627.JPG DSC03628.JPG DSC03633.JPG DSC03634.JPG DSC03639.JPG DSC03640.JPG DSC03645.JPG DSC03646.JPG DSC03650.JPG
    DSC03652.JPG

And yes, you can fit them all in the starter pack box
    DSC03651.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    It’s been eleven years how are we still seeing concept Knifehead and Gipsy on packaging artwork?

• Like Like x 1
  4. SHINOBI03

Size does seem a little discouraging, but at least it fits with NECA's Kaiju and to some extent Hiya and Super7 Godzilla.

⛈️THUNDERCLOUD FORMATION⛈️ LingJiHun Crimson Typhoon Review.mp4_snapshot_17.25.946.jpg ⛈️THUNDERCLOUD FORMATION⛈️ LingJiHun Crimson Typhoon Review.mp4_snapshot_17.30.803.jpg ⛈️THUNDERCLOUD FORMATION⛈️ LingJiHun Crimson Typhoon Review.mp4_snapshot_17.35.693.jpg ⛈️THUNDERCLOUD FORMATION⛈️ LingJiHun Crimson Typhoon Review.mp4_snapshot_17.40.595.jpg ⛈️THUNDERCLOUD FORMATION⛈️ LingJiHun Crimson Typhoon Review.mp4_snapshot_17.45.240.jpg ⛈️THUNDERCLOUD FORMATION⛈️ LingJiHun Crimson Typhoon Review.mp4_snapshot_17.49.803.jpg ⛈️THUNDERCLOUD FORMATION⛈️ LingJiHun Crimson Typhoon Review.mp4_snapshot_17.54.793.jpg Hiya Toys Exquisite Basic Kong Skull Island Review.mp4_snapshot_13.20.284.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  5. Baltan

Baltan Space Ninja

As I don’t have any NECA stuff, that big size is annoying but looks decent with Hiya and very good with Super7 and especially NECA. That’s appropriate but a smaller size closer to SHMA would get me to really shell out the dough.

Also a good reminder I still need the Godzilla tower!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Total Randomness Personified

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    I agree with @Baltan here about the size. But with some fudging you can make it work that's why we have imaginations.

• Like Like x 1
  7. SHINOBI03

With Crimson Typhoon you could play with the scale with these legs. The non-Chicken legs one is where would be challenging.

EDIT: I still have my NECA Cherno Alpha and it's around the same size as LingJihun Crimson. I don't recall if there was a difference in size between the two Jeagers in the movie but the difference would stick out that much.
    DSC03792.JPG

Last edited: Apr 13, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Total Randomness Personified

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    I see your point, or somehow say to yourself that Monarch and the organization that bulit the Jaegers joined forces to create Titan Jaegers.

9. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I'm surprised people are complaining about LingJihun Crimson's size. We've known for a while now that it's exactly the same size as NECA's, and I don't see why anyone would expect it to scale with SHMA or Hiya's Godzilla figures considering Legendary's monsters are much larger than Jaegers to start. (and it's not like Hiya and SHMA are even in scale with each other) I feel like it was more important that these new Jaegers scale with, y'know, figures from their own movie and not completely unrelated toys from other companies, but that's just me.

The figure isn't really "big," eitehr, it's just Hiya and SHMA are smaller scaled. It feels great in hand, and if it was smaller we probably wouldn't have the excellently implemented LEDs or level of detail.

10. kidbane

kidbane Well-Known Member

I'm looking forward to BBTS getting thier stock of the LingJihun Crimson. And seeing your pictures of Knifehead make me regret selling mine. Some of My NECA Pacific Rims figures were starting to fall apart. So I sold all but Cherno Alpha (my favorite). I wish I had kept one Kaiju too.

11. SHINOBI03

The only NECA Kaiju that I'm missing are Axehead (not Trespasser) and Hardship. I threw away Series 1 Knifehead once I got the updated Knifehead. All my Jeagers broke/trashed but Cherno Alpha.

12. Baltan

Baltan Space Ninja

We didn’t all follow the news beforehand. And really my complaints are more observations, as I wasn’t anticipating a purchase earlier anyway. As stated, I had no NECA collection left so I’d be mixing them with my existing MonsterArts (Toho, I sold all Legendary already and own no Hiya yet), just to keep genres together, which is why I’d care. It doesn’t even prevent me from buying them, I just spoke my two cents based on the pics provided.

Well duh! I’m not conflating my collection needs with everyone’s.

So you already own it? That’s great!

13. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Yeah, I posted pics a few pages back, it’s a really nice figure. Hefty but not heavy, and the LEDs are those magnetic kind. A surprising number of the joints are also ratcheted for its size.

The articulation isn’t mindblowing but it’s light years beyond Neca’s.

14. Baltan

Baltan Space Ninja

Definitely all things I like to hear! I’ll have to give the thread another look, but I’m hoping kaiju materialize as well.

15. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Kaiju are in the pipeline, I believe it was Slattern who was on display with Crimson as a grey proto. I’m hoping they do Leatherback, too.

• Like Like x 1
  16. SHINOBI03

From Toho Kingdom
    d0eor0su5cib1.jpg gong-g-metal-gipsy-danger-photo-tease-v0-sx0o61r574wc1_jpg.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  17. CyrDraconis

CyrDraconis Well-Known Member

Finally scooped my next pair of McFarlane Pacific Rim - Striker and Raiju! Only two to go for the purposes of my shelves.

As before, the buildings and mini vehicles are unchanged, so...

Striker is another basic but functional sculpt, as relative as that is. Same 9POA as Gipsy (swivel neck/shoulders/elbows/hips/knees), and a very pale blue/grey sort of plastic. Cockpit, blades, center torso panel, groin, and knees are painted up; plus that weird grey wash on just the shins and the breastplate. Granted, the cockpit is a weird orange when it should be gold or yellow (like the groin plate), and the center torso and kneepads are a weird olive drab (that they probably should have used on the groin). Same limited posability, but what you can get mostly works. At least the switchblades aren't twisted noodles in the packaging, probably just because they're literally shorter than Gipsy's sword.

Raiju is...unfortunately, just another kaiju. Technically 4POA, shoulders and hips, but you can only use the arms 'cause he has to use his tail to stand. No neck, mouth sculpted closed. The tail is rubbery, but as much as I'm not sure if you're supposed to you can actually bend it in the solid part some. The last couple inches of the tip is just rubber, so you can't do anything with it. He's also got drooping zombie hands for some reason. Far as deco, he's cartoon crocodile all the way, ivory underside and blue-green everything else; with a darker shade for the limbs and a slightly lighter shade for the rubbery parts of the back and tail. And teeny yellow dots for eyes. Sadly he's not the worst kaiju, as he can actually stand without using a hand.

Redeco/remold game:
    Striker - easy one is Hong Kong, resculpt the chest with the missile launcher open and a darker grey 'night' deco.
    Raiju - we never saw colors clearly in the movie, so do whatever other 'underwater' paintjob and give him his open head.

@SHINOBI03 , way up thread - what the deuce is that 'Starter Pack' in your photos of this line? My FLCS has never had that box.

18. Baltan

Baltan Space Ninja

It wouldn’t because that’s an Amazon exclusive, $40 and should still be available.

19. SHINOBI03

Anyone still have their NECA Baby Otachi rubber figure? Is it still holding up after all these years?

20. svek

svek Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Infinity Studio/Heavy Mecha Crimson Typhoon. With all 30 ag1 batteries successfully installed :lol 
    IMG_20240517_185121.jpg IMG_20240517_192047.jpg IMG_20240517_212721.jpg IMG_20240517_221337.jpg IMG_20240517_185227.jpg IMG_20240517_185502.jpg IMG_20240517_185631.jpg IMG_20240517_190314.jpg IMG_20240517_190525.jpg IMG_20240517_221119.jpg IMG_20240517_183322.jpg

• Like Like x 6