Pacific Rim Toy Discussion

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by FanimusMaximus, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Darkstone

Darkstone Code of Hero

News Credits:
    My time has come.

I just want one single Pacific Rim figure: A good Gipsy Danger. Reading all the positive in-hand reviews of their Crimson Typhoon, I think LingJiHun is my way of getting what I want.

Definitely ordering this once it pops up on ShowZstore.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Reedbot

Reedbot Well-Known Member

This doesn't look right. All of those panel lines and rivets are way to big and cheap looking. WTH?

3. snakey jones

snakey jones Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yep. They actually had a prototype for Slattern at a toyfair in China a while back:

FB_IMG_1696400630483.jpg

Im hoping this means they focus on the Kaiju NECA never covered. Hoping for Raiju, Onibaba and an improved Leatherback.

• Like Like x 6
  4. ArkhamSoldier

ArkhamSoldier Broke as heck

News Credits:
    IMG-20240210-WA0006.jpg IMG-20240210-WA0011.jpg IMG-20240210-WA0008.jpg IMG-20240210-WA0010.jpg IMG-20240210-WA0001.jpg IMG-20240210-WA0009.jpg IMG-20240210-WA0007.jpg IMG-20240210-WA0005.jpg IMG-20240210-WA0004.jpg IMG-20240210-WA0003.jpg

• Like Like x 10
  5. Reedbot

Reedbot Well-Known Member

The panel lines are way too damn pronounced and it looks off. Crud.

6. Cosbydaf

Cosbydaf Well-Known Member

I'm interested, Gipsy and Crimson look great. But the decisive factor for me is really going to be the kaiju. I don't want to spend that much on Jaegers unless I know they're going to have enemies to match up with.

• Like Like x 2
  7. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Damn, Gipsy is kitted. Great to see it comes with everything it needs.

TBF they’re equally as pronounced on Crimson and that figure looks fine in person. I don’t think Gipsy looks off, just more detailed than the similarly sized figures we’re used to. (I.e. Neca)

8. Darkstone

Darkstone Code of Hero

News Credits:
    Time to cancel the apocalypse!

Those elbow rocket effect parts are awesome. The boat is hardly a new inclusion for a Gipsy Danger figure, but I'm glad it's there regardless. That scene is just too badass.

I kinda doubt it will be this noticeable in person. Like, on the picture with the accessory layout were it isn't full-on zoom and heavy lighting on the figure I barely notice the panel lines anymore.

• Like Like x 2
  9. CyrDraconis

CyrDraconis Well-Known Member

Found the McFarlane mini figure/comic sets at my FLCS, picked up Gipsy and Otachi to check out.

Overall...they're okay, and I'm definitely considering the rest of the series to have a relatively full set of PR1 jaegers and kaiju in not a lot of shelf space, but the price is pretty on the edge for what you get. I had never read any of Tales From The Drift or Aftermath, so the comics are what actually made it worthwhile to me. The packaging is absolutely massive for the toys, but they have to fit the comic on the blister too.

Given that the buildings and micro vehicles are common to all the toys, get that out of the way first. For one, everything's wildly out of scale in multiple ways - the buildings look vaguely right next to Gipsy and Otachi; but the vehicles and little road plates are far too big for the buildings or jaegers, and the vehicles are all over the place compared to each other too. There's really no deco on the accessories either, roads and buildings are just plain grey, vehicles are a slightly mottled olive green. A plus, the buildings are just stacks of the same tesselating block with different toppers, which does allow for some variety. Strictly from a toy perspective, you need this kind of background fodder in the genre, so while it is wonky, I can at least appreciate what they tried to do with these sets.

Gipsy is 7 POA - neck, shoulders, elbows, hips, knees. Elbows and knees are simple hinges that can at least get close to 90* and are weirdly sort of ratchet-y; shoulders and hips are either super-limited balljoints, or simple swivels that I'm accidentally bending to get a tiny bit of outward movement on. No waist hurts, especially since this is Gipsy-with-sword-extended. Fortunately, my sword blade wasn't a spaghetti noodle. Posability is pretty slim, I can get a stepping pose to the legs without falling over, but that's about it. Deco is very minimal but what's there is decently done; gold visor, yellow reactor, and the 34 and red stripes on the shoulders and head. Sword blade is dark grey. And it looks like there was a vague attempt at a grey-ish wash on the front of the torso and only the front of the torso. Arms (apart from the shoulders), legs, and back are completely plain blue plastic.

Otachi looks more interesting overall, but has far less going on. She's a vaguely articulated 4 POA statuette - swivel hips and shoulders and that's it. Nothing at the head or the tail. And while she can rest on the feet and the curled tail, having the left arm in any position other than down looks dumb because it's sculpted as 'hand on the floor'. There is a lot of sculpted and textured detail to her, but all the paint went to the black-brown gradient on the top/back and the kaiju-glow bits, with a little bit to the folded-up wings in the forearms; and the base color is a weird pinkish-brown that I'd almost call freezer-burned, not the black-brown all over. At least the horns and tail claw are in softer plastic so they're less of a break risk. And it's not really fault to the toy, but I didn't realize how weird Otachi looks with those super-long forearms, too.

Both figures (and the entire line, really) could really use a good paint wash to bring out detail that's definitely there, just not super visible.

The accessories are hit or miss, and the figures themselves are definitely limited, but if you just want a PR1 robot/monster cast it looks like this is a passable way to do it. I suppose my more pointed question would be where was this kind of merch ten+ years ago when the movie was actually out and relevant? At the time all we got was NECA (which were okay if you didn't lose the QC lottery, and of somewhat limited selection), and Bandai which was far more expensive. I'm okay with what these sets cost and what you get, but if you're an edge case I wouldn't push it. They're mostly-competent toys that are basically eleven years late.

I will still play the remold/redeco game though, these two are easy. If the line isn't already dead, winged Otachi could be a sort of 'deluxe' figure with new arms and legs; Gipsy is easy to turn into plasma cannon or boatsword versions with the change of a single forearm/hand.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2024
    • Like Like x 3
  10. Cosbydaf

Cosbydaf Well-Known Member

Hah, and not to mention trying to find the NECA product even when you were actively hunting for it was an absolute pain in the ass. I've never seen the Leatherback figure in person.

• Like Like x 1
  11. TenScaryMonkeys

TenScaryMonkeys Can You Believe How Great These Pants Look?

Probably worth mentioning that when it came out, Pacific Rim wasn’t a hit domestically. It only made around $100m at the US box office, was an unknown, niche property from an auteur director, and didn’t really find its legs until international audiences embraced it (China ended up being its biggest market).

I imagine merchandise was limited because Neca were the only ones willing to gamble on the license, and even then, only in relatively limited amounts.

Ten years later, it’s a cult hit. More companies are willing to put out product, the license isn’t completely tied up by a single company trying to hedge bets, and the folks who are most nostalgic for it have some disposable income now.

• Like Like x 3
  12. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Pacific Rim also had terrible marketing and promotion in general back when it came out. I saw exactly one trailer on TV, and pretty much nowhere else. It's also well-known that the exceptionally shitty NECA figures in the first couple of waves were due to a licensing deal with Walmart that would've had them produced to a much lower budget, so the merch we did get as originally going to be even more limited.

Such a shame. Bandai never even did the first movie Jaegers in Robot Spirits.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Baltan

Baltan Space Ninja

Has been alluded to already but Bandai wasn’t an option for Pacific Rim. It was an oft-requested line, especially with the fledgling SHMA around, but no one besides NECA had the Pacific Rim license back then. Other than Chogokin Gipsy Danger, nothing was ever released from the original film by them and even that only happened for Uprising.

Uprising did get Bandai and Diamond Select merchandise, but it was the worse movie and the kaiju in particular got way less love, not helped by how much less imaginative and unique they were this time. I do nonetheless own all three Soul of Soft Vinyls… for some reason. Diamond did well including a Kaiju Jaeger, a glaring omission in Bandai’s Robot Spirits, but only one articulated kaiju, and the tiniest at that.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  14. SHINOBI03

SHINOBI03 Well-Known Member

The first point I can attest to it. The marketing for the first movie was little to none that I first found out about it by pure accident. I don't recall any street promos or billboards promoting it and not enough trailers hyping its release.

15. Darkstone

Darkstone Code of Hero

News Credits:
    I remember when Pacific Rim was gearing up my entire community flamed it hard for being an "Evangelion rip-off". Everybody I knew hated it before it was even released. I saw it and thought it was meh. But that was before I got really into Tokusatsu and mecha anime, which coincidentally happened later the same year. Then I didn't watch Pacific Rim again until a few years ago. So like, after almost 10 years of Toku and mecha exposure - watching it again, I fell madly in love with it. It is so obvious what its influences were, what it wanted to be, and how it absolutely succeeded in doing do. Now it's one of my favorites.

By the way, did anyone pre-order LingJiHun Gipsy Danger yet? I saw 5ktoys offering it, but I would prefer ordering directly from China. Nothing from showzstore yet but it’s the Chinese New Year so I’m waiting until next week.

• Like Like x 6
  16. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Which I really never understood. Humans creating mecha to fight off invading monsters is such a common setting in anime and manga, and when I think Evangelion I don't even consider its bare bones premise as its defining attribute.

This is of course ignoring the fact that Evas aren't even traditional mecha. I always found Evangelion has always been known for its psychological and emotional deconstruction, and it makes me think the people who made that comparison didn't know what either property really was.

Yeah, I'm gonna preorder with ShowZ, so like you I'm waiting till the Lunar New Year is up. Soon as it is, though, that shit's on lock.

• Like Like x 5
  17. TenScaryMonkeys

TenScaryMonkeys Can You Believe How Great These Pants Look?

I think a lot of that attitude is because Evangelion both distilled and deconstructed all the mind/machine melded monster-fighting mecha anime tropes into a single property, and because it was among the first anime a lot of us were really deeply invested in as young adults (I discovered it on bootleg VHS in my early 20s, well before Gundam, Super Robots, Kaiju movies, etc were widely available or entrenched in the American zeitgeist).

I think I’ve got about 10 years on you, and the landscape was radically different then. For many of us, Eva was the FIRST full series we saw, and was this new, wild, mind-bending thing we watched without having the context of what ITS influences were. So you watched Eva, and only started to slowly piece together the history of that medium well after the fact.

In hindsight, PR is just a big ol’ love letter to the genre in general, but at the time, I was definitely among the folks who thought it lifted more heavily from Eva than some of its other inspirations. Wasn’t until it was easier to access the earlier source material that it was clear to me that BOTH properties were doing a lot of the same stuff on parallel tracks.

Both properties ask “what if people fighting monsters in giant robots was a real thing?”

Pacific Rim leans into the genre, embraces the inherent goofiness hard, and tries to ground it with realistic visuals. Evangelion points out that adults manipulating unstable adolescents into piloting building-sized war machines is actually a pretty horrifying concept.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2024
    • Like Like x 3
  18. Darkstone

Darkstone Code of Hero

News Credits:
    I'm way too obsessed with the LingJiHun Gipsy Danger right now, so I looked at the prototype images to admire the details - but I noticed two "oopsies" on it which I find a bit funny.

First, the headlamp, this thing:

[​IMG]

It seems to be missing entirely?

[​IMG]

Maybe it isn’t added yet, maybe it will be painted on and not sculpted, but, looking at it from another angle - I think the red stripe piece accidentally goes over the sculpted lamp? There's this weird bump here, so maybe in the process of getting the prototype together they accidentally covered it up. If I squint my eyes I think I even see the circle around the lamp peaking out behind the stripe.

[​IMG]

And the awesome little pin-up decal:

[​IMG]

Looks like this:

[​IMG]

Which is mirrored upside down and angled incorrectly. With some image editing magic it looks like this:

[​IMG]

Which seems correct. All minor stuff which is most likely fixed on the final release, but I find it interesting regardless. The stuff we weren't supposed to notice :lol 

• Like Like x 3
  19. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I'm sure the tampo will be fixed, since this is probably a painted prototype. I think you're right about the stripe going over the headlamp. It almost looks like a sticker the way it bends over, and the nose art likewise looks like a flat sticker that goes right over the sculpted panel line.

• Like Like x 2
  20. RedLeo

RedLeo Well-Known Member

lol we are the opposite, i care more about the jaegers than the kaiju, the ones i got from diamond select, i have posed up fighting neca aliens, will be doing the same for this line if they go deep into the jaegers which i hope they do and quickly, even the one from the anime. kaiju i think should be a sub line that doesnt get hit with the budget cost of the jaegers so one failing wont affect the other.

• Like Like x 2