Pacific Rim Toy Discussion

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by FanimusMaximus, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I have a good share of Pacific Rim, toys.
    I like them.
    My only complaint, as previously mentioned by Bucket Head, is that a lot of them don't stay standing.

While I like I have, I would like to see the license given to someone who could, you know, actually get the product to store shelves.

2. Snyper

Snyper Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yep yep. All of the stories here and elsewhere drove me away.

Oh goody. I was really looking forward to those.

3. VictoryLeo19

VictoryLeo19 Well-Known Member

Damnit. So no Brawler Yukon then? I would have been oddly satisfied with that one getting out. Still, as long as mutavore and hardship get released, and ultimate gypsy will be awesome, I think it was a good run. I have everything minus the larger knifehead figure and flying otachi. Not a bad line at all. Wish we could have got Oni Baba though.

Oh wait, not having Raiju sucks. That was the coolest design.

4. bobbyjack

bobbyjack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I would have much rather had Oni Baba than Hardship, but oh well. It was a good run but my shelves are starting to run out of room.

5. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    I'm glad we got a million Gipsies and a Kaiju that wasn't even in the film before one of the most influential monsters.

6. VictoryLeo19

VictoryLeo19 Well-Known Member

In their defense, the ultimate Stryker is awesome. So I can only assume Ultimate Gypsy will be the best version.

I have to admit I haven't had a single issue with the NECA figures, but I know we've gone over this many times already.

I hope Pacific Rim finds steam in the future. I had zero interest in it originally and I've grown to appreciate the franchise quite a bit.

7. Transquito

Transquito Reach For The Light

Good. Now hopefully another even slightly competent company can get a hold of the license instead.

8. Omega Charge

Omega Charge CHARGE ON

News Credits:
    I love some of the designs, and I was so pumped for this line when it was launched; I planned to buy everything and have the whole collection. I had issues with half the figures though as legs, feet, and arms started snapping off with no blatant mishandling. It started getting frustrating and I stopped paying attention to the line (after buying quite a few too).

Until I bought the ultimate Stryker the other day at TRU during the 20% sale. I'm actually very impressed with that one. The joints seem to be constructed differently, it doesn't feel as fragile, and the posability is great. Definitely a notch above all the other figures, and at the same price it's a steal.

Only thing that broke were a couple of the minuscule ball joints on the detachable payload as I was taking it out of the package, and you know what, I wasn't even mad. Shows what NECA did to my standards after this line.

9. bobbyjack

bobbyjack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The only figure I had issues with was Tact Ronin. Bad design that broke twice on me straight out of the package. Not really any other problems except for breaking one of my Gypsy Danger swords.

10. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Since the line is officially dead, I got Ultimate Striker because it was $10 off and it's supposed to be great. Figure I talk shit so much I should give it's most well-recieved offering a fair chance. May get Ultimate Gippy, may not. I never got any previous Gipsy 'cept battle damaged one so it stands to reason Ultimate would be the way to go if any.

11. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm not sorry to see Neca losing the licence. My Cherno Alpha's head just pop off 'suddenly'. I didn't drop it or twist it. Apparently, it wasn't glue or whatever to the body properly.

I still can't believe Neca had the audacity to 'call-out' on another company's (don't want to mention the name) G.Danger's apparently poor QC. Talk about pot calling the kettle black.

12. Rodimus74

Rodimus74 Well-Known Member

So is Ultimate Gypsy Danger still coming out? Bummed we'll never get a 18 inch Crimson Typhoon.

13. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    Another company made a Gipsy danger? All I know of is the kaiyodo capsule figurines and the upcoming max factory model kit.

14. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    No, nobody else has made one. NECA called out Max Factory because one fan reported a non-PR figure/kit to have bad QC on Twitter. It was really petty considering Max Factory doesn't really have a reputation for bad QC, it was a fluke. NECA's Twitter page is really not flattering, considering they only ever retweet gushing praise and totally ignore folks who tweet them QC issues. (or just block them)

15. Hadlen_Weltall

Hadlen_Weltall Whiskey Powered Gunpla and Cow Master

I had a little fun after building a Purple Martin Pagoda.

[​IMG]

16. Faelon

Faelon Well-Known Member

It has nothing to do with dust. It is the nature of the soft 'recycled chewing gum" like plastic NECA used for this line. It slowly warps and flexes with minor heat changes, ultimately resulting in the figures falling over, or the figure will simply self destruct while standing there untouched. Yeah those of you that come in one day and find a broken arm sitting there? This is why.

NECA did fantastic sculpts and decent painting. But the quality and issues with the plastic they used really got frustrating fast. Am I alone in hoping someone like Bandai picks up the license and produces some diecast versions of the Jaegers?

17. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Aw, that's a shame. As much hate as they got and despite the QC issues, I still liked them. NECA really turned around the line too and went all in to a degree I never expected them too, even if they did miss some of the monsters.

18. SHINOBI03

SHINOBI03 Well-Known Member

How's the plastic in Ultimate Striker? Is it real plastic or yet more chewing gum material?

19. djmajin

djmajin Masterpiece Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:

the funniest things is when they started selling Gipsy Danger "pre-broken" aka one missing a right arm or one missing a left arm... I guess it saves them the trouble of having it fall apart due to lightly breathing off it.

ironically enough the foot broke off from one of mine yesterday

20. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    So my ultimate Striker arrived aaannnddd the left blade is bent at the end. Luckily I think I can swap out the blade from my existing Striker, but they really should've been bagged seperately like the back fins.

Otherwise? This is abslutely the figure we should've gotten to start. Pretty good, not fantastic. Articulation is all there and useful, but not unlimited. The sculpt and paint is great, and the swappable chest is badass. The missiles turned out awesome. The payload is kind of shit because the articulated things aren't pushed in evenly and the one on the end is the wrong one. Overall I guess it's worth $30, certainly not $40.