Pacific Rim by Guliermo Del Toro

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Paladin, May 23, 2012.

1. skiss

skiss Crash and Burn

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, each pilot controls one arm limb. Typhoon the Chinese Jeager is very unique in the fact that it has 3 pilots and 3 arms. In an interview Del Toro said he actually wanted a 4 armed mech but they couldn't find any quadruplet actors so they stuck with triplets and 3 arms.

2. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

Romeo Blue either lacks the third leg, or has the ability to retract it (turning it from sturdy sentry into a faster brawler), since we don't see it in the film proper. Since Romeo was only in the prologue, though, it wouldn't be too outlandish for supplementary materials to depict the third leg.

Knifehead uses its claws.

Correct; Crimson Typhoon's third pilot, settled at the back of the cockpit, manages the third arm, as well as addition systems of the Jaeger. He has a holographic display in front of him, implying he handles Crimson's more intricate systems and other features, like radar and the rotating hips, jets and weaponry, while the other two control the Jaeger as other pilots do.

Essentially a back-seat driver, if you will.

3. defstar

defstar Autobot...

Awesome...I would almost want a prequel so we can see these guys in action more!...

4. skiss

skiss Crash and Burn

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If you haven't already check out the prequel comic "Tales from Year Zero". Its worth every penny.

5. skiss

skiss Crash and Burn

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks, the Knifehead thing was driving me nuts. I actually didn't realize the third pilot in Typhoon was that detailed in it, but it makes sense. Typhoon really was much more nimble and agile then the other Jeagers. Maybe just a notch ahead of Striker.

6. defstar

defstar Autobot...

Thank you... :cool: 

7. jala12

jala12 Fiery Adventurer

But they aren't in it. Though, it would be nice to have another prequel comic that talks about Crimson and Cherno's past exploits. There is still a lot to talk about during those years.

8. Autoboticon

Autoboticon In like a Bot, out like a Con

You know what's interesting, the aliens in the Anteverse (other side of the breach), the Precursors, they're 12 feet tall.

Imagine if they sent in an army of these guys, with a Kaiju to back them up! That would be awesome!!!

Also, since Kaiju were sent before to exterminate the dinosaurs, imagine a few scenes where a Kaiju is battling against swarms of dinosaurs charging at it.

9. skiss

skiss Crash and Burn

News Credits:
    Ebay:

I think they meant the Dinosaurs were the first kaiju the Precursors sent through. Thats why Newt says to Hannibal that the Dinosaurs had secondary brains like the Kaiju.

10. strangeguy32000

strangeguy32000 Well-Known Member

Actually, I think it was a Godzilla reference Guillermo didn't quite get.
    See Godzilla Vs Mechagodzilla II wherein Mechagodzilla II gets outfitted with the G-Crusher weapon in order to target/Destroy Godzilla's Hindbrain. Really, the only dinosaurs that are thought to have had Hindbrains are the small-skulled Long-bodied Stegosaurs and Sauropods.

11. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Formerly SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    No, that's not what he said. He said the first attempt came at the time of the dinosaurs, but the world was to oxygen rich.

When he compares Kaiju to dinosaurs he just means that something that big needs two "brains" to move around and react as quickly as it does. Otherwise impulses and signals from the brain would take to long to travel to, say, the legs to make it walk out of the way of a punch.

12. skiss

skiss Crash and Burn

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Dang, ok that was a misunderstanding on my part. Wish they had been more clear on that bit. Still just as awesome. I guess I got swept up in the idea that Dinosaurs were prototype Kaiju that ultimately effected the world into what they wanted by humans using oil to power machinery for so long. Sounded like something Micheal Crichton would think of.

13. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    Today's from shirtoid

Attached Files:

14. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    Don't know why it won't let me do multiple attachments

Attached Files:

15. shellformer

shellformer @

I thought the implication with mentioning the dinosaurs was that they were wiped out by kaiju but nothing further happened because the aliens noticed that the planet wasn't quite what they were looking for at the time and cancelled the take-over.

16. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    I dunno if it's worth mentioning, but the hindbrain theory has been discredited and is no longer accepted. Although it is true that stegosaurs and sauropods had an expanded area in the neural canal running through their hip vertebrae that was larger than their actual braincase.

The Double Dinosaur Brain Myth | Dinosaur Tracking

17. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Drawings from Argentina! :D

News Credits:
    I NEED THAT!!!!!!

About the DinoKaiju topic: I thought Newton meant that Dinosaurs were sme kind of ProtoKaijus. ^^' I mean, if Kaijus did attack EArth like 65 millions years ago, mankind would find fossils of them but that is never mentioned in the movie. :S
    I stick with the DinoKaijus theory. XD

18. Shatterpoint

Shatterpoint Neato

News Credits:
    I always believed that at some point in this future, whether through some archeological discovery or by studying the remains of the Kaiju and cross examining them, we discovered that some dinosaurs did have two brains.

19. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Kuphead

News Credits:
    I find the lack of Gundam disturbing.

20. NCStarscream

NCStarscream Me Grimlock cute

News Credits:
    I've been wondering about that myself and looked out for it when I saw the movie again this evening. She's got 34 on both shoulders at the beginning of the movie. The 5 is on her left shoulder later on when Mako is part of the crew, presumably because it was replaced/rebuilt after the Knifehead fight.