Pacific Rim by Guliermo Del Toro

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Paladin, May 23, 2012.

1. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

Because snorkeling on your honeymoon is for pussies.

[​IMG]
    The downside of being the younger part of a father/son Jeager pilot team.

2. bookwormdalek

bookwormdalek Gotta get a grip

News Credits:
    :lolol 

3. CyrDraconis

CyrDraconis Well-Known Member

Certainly my favourite piece on the soundtrack.

Adorable. Also has potential for cookie-cutters!

I'd like to know more about Horizon Brave's red 'twin' from the factory shot...

4. RedWolf

RedWolf Well-Known Member

In the movie we don't see the Jaegers at the background of Oblivion Bay as it is too dark. Fortunately got some renders and tweaked them.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

On the left a Romeo Blue type, on the right a Mark 3 same generation as Gipsy Danger, the center I'm guessing Russian by the big hands and feet.

Stacker did mention the Cherno Alpha as the last T-90.

5. aman345

aman345 Well-Known Member

WHAT IF?? The humans take the role of the aliens and send the Jaegers through the breach to wipe out the Aliens homeworld. Thus some young alien hero creates his own Kaiju.

If were gonna flip the script then lets really screw it up :D 

6. Autoboticon

Autoboticon In like a Bot, out like a Con

Calling Michael Bay as we speak.

7. GFH

GFH The G Squad

News Credits:
    Guys guys guys

[​IMG]
    By alexalexalexalex on tumblr

And
    [​IMG]
    By hackedmotionsensors on tumblr

Mk enjoy the kawaiis later

8. Biotoakid

Biotoakid Whew what an old username

News Credits:
    Yeah pregnant warriors, really great idea. A+ war tactics

9. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Pregnant warriors than can rip apart giant armored robots built by the humans.

I fail to see the problem here.

10. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Banned

News Credits:
    Yeah because he totally didn't crush Typhoon's head and killed all of it pilot and mlted down the thoughest armour of any Jaeger and done massive damage to the city and Gypsy Danger and was also able to spawn it's own monster to spread and wreck havock.

Because you know having a power-house of destruction being able to create more of the same powerhouses is such a bad strategy.

I've seen a nature documentary where a pregnant elephant stomps a fucking lion to death, why should a giant monster be any less capable?

You're just hating shit now for the sake of hating it.

Seriously the way some of you people rip apart this movie for the tiniest and stupidest little reasons that can be answered simply by expanding a little on the implication given in the film itself just baffles my mind. It's called reading between the lines. I'm sorry that you need the movie to hold your hand for 2 hours and spoon feed you every little bit of information, but just because you're unable to get 2 and 2 together based on the information you got in the movie itself and answer some of the balantly stupid questions you had does not mean that the movie has some massive "plotholes" or anything like that.

The first Star Wars is riddled with the same stupid shit as PR and yet no body notices that and it gets a free pass because of nostalgia. Man that force is such a stupid concept it's never explained how it works and yet they use it with no problem! And what's with those lightsabers? That thing is impossible to make how does that work, why is it never explaimned in the movie? And just look at Luke, he didn't have any character development nor was he an interesing character what's up with that?! And Han Solo is such a cliche amoral badass gone good! And thos two stupid robots were sooooo annoying the ruined the movie!

And what's up with Darth Vader what is he a robot? A cyborg? Why can he use the force if he's half robot? Why is it never explained?! Why is the one masisve weakness of the Death Star out in the open like that and not protected in any way? It's so stupid and plot convinient! Man this movie is so terrible! [/sarcasm]

11. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

D'awwww, so much cuteness! Except poor Chuck. No wonder he's grouchy X_X

12. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Actually, that one of Chuck isn't all that bad; the last frame indicates that his mother and father stuck together (I doubt he'd have a high drift ratio with someone he'd be angry at for perceived abandonment) and raised him.

The 'Just Married' one though is just pitch perfect :lolol 

13. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

When did I mention abandonment? I was referring to the whole 'watching-my-parents-make-me' part X_X

Drifting must be so awkward sometimes. "Yancy, you bastard, you DID steal the cookies! All these years I suffered for the missing cookies, when it was YOOOOOOOOU!"

14. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Oh I'm with you now :p  Yeah that would be awkward to have happen on a daily basis.

On that tangent, I liked the scene with him and his dad saying goodbye, I thought it would end with Chuck saying something like "I heard you say it, every time, in here" while tapping his temple or something. Still a great scene though.

15. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    It was explained, and then demonstrated to have consequences. Bringing it up again would simply belabour the point. That's what we call be frugal with the narrative.

As for Gypsy, well I'm reminded of a popular trope in Mecha commonly referred to as 'Super Prototype' (which doesn't strictly fit since Gypsy is like fourth revision) but in actuality it's just been built well enough to be jack of all trades, master of none. It isn't as powerful as Cherno Alpha, but it moves faster. It's not as quick as Crimson Typhoon but seems better protected. Striker is the only one that can out perform Gypsy: he was the F-22 to Gypsy's F-15 so all the guff giving has some basis in the more gentle rivalries between pilots of older aircraft compared to pilots of newer aircraft in Air Forces around the world.

Escape pods on pretty much anything sci-fi is a given; and since they're technically military hardware that operate in the ocean, it shouldn't need establishing that it has a lifeboat. As for Cherno Alpha, well, they gambled on not needing them; look how well that worked out for them.

The whole of humanity's survival is on the line: they probably had a constant 24 hour rotation of techs swapping out parts, repairing damage etc. Two days before Armageddon is not the time to chuck a sickie.

I'm no expert on explosives of any kind, but the effect of an explosion under water is determined by the kind of explosive and how deep the water is. Since it was a nuclear explosion, I assume lots of the energy of the big boom was taken by physically moving the water (that scene where Gypsy ducks and covers, there's no water, the nuke has actually created a waterless bubble) from one spot to another. According to wikipedia, there's a point where the depth means that none of the water would evaporate due to water pressure outside the blast radius 'bubble' being greater than the explosive force being exerted, so I take that to mean that damage by extreme heat isn't a huge factor either.

As for why the sword worked; well its the same reason that using a water canon on a person is less direct and traumatic (until you hit a certain speed/pressure thing) than say, stabbing them in the heart with a Bowie knife.

This one I can probably put down to J. Michael Straczynski's oft quoted 'speed of plot'. Of course one can instead take from that chain of events that the Kaiju can swim very quickly.

Yeah, a self propagating biological weapon of mass destruction, totally stupid idea.......

16. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Banned

News Credits:
    I'd also like to point out that Slattern wasn't killed by the sword Gypsy used the sword to latch on to him and then used the "chest turbine engine", which was established during the falling on ground, to fire concentrated nucler beam at point blank to him ala Mazinger "BREAST FIRE!"

Getting hit by a wave and getting hit by a water cannon at point blank in the chest isn't the same.

And seriously even though he survived a nuclear blast it doesn't mean that he's not weakend by it. A boss in a video game might survive your strongest attack but that doesn't mean that his health doesn't go down. I can't believe I seriously need to explain this to someone!

17. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    I'd forgotten that, good thing I'm going for a second showing this weekend :D 

18. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

Indeed; notice that while Gipsy had a right rough-and-tumble with the likes of Knifehead, Leatherback and Otachi, Striker dominates nearly every Kaiju it goes up against, curb-stomping the shit out of Mutavore and Otachi and proving itself a worthy adversary in a straight fight with motherfucking Slattern :D 

19. dsprks75

dsprks75 Robot Enthusiast

News Credits:
    My God, this cracked me up...

20. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Finally caught the show and it does have its moments. I like the nods to both the Kaiju and super robot genre. I had a chuckle with the 'rocket elbow punch'?

I don't if it was a combination of tiredness from work or from watching too many Toku shows over the last few years but I was quite bored midway through the show.

IMO its a good movie for first timers to the Kaiju/super robot genre. I hope kids from this generation will appreciate what we had in the 70s and 80s - with Ultraman and Gojira.

The little child actress stole the show for me. Her expressions and acting was so good!