Pacific Rim by Guliermo Del Toro

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Paladin, May 23, 2012.

1. Grimlockimus

Grimlockimus Wot?

News Credits:
    It kinda plays along with what they say in the movie, when you're in a Jaeger you can fight the Hurricane, you feel unstoppabe, etc etc. That's pretty effing powerful, and when something we once saw as untouchable and unstoppable gets knocked down and left to scrap, it brings out an emotional reaction.

Kinda like when Optimus Prime died, or when people thought Twinkies were going to stop being made.

2. 9.8m/s^2

9.8m/s^2 What's in a name?

itunes has it, plus the ending song that's not on the CD release. If you really want the disc, though, Amazon has it.

The album is still missing some music from the film, though, notably the version of the theme that plays over the end titles, before the extra scene.

And yeah, that book is awesome; I especially love the copies of those pages from del Toro's scribble book.

3. aman345

aman345 Well-Known Member

Everyone has those moments in a movie where their emotions get the best of them. I had 3:

1. Big smile moment - when they opened up the Shatterdome which looked absolutely amazing, plus the intros of the other Jaegers was cool and let the audience know these aren't CGI background guys.

2. Teary eyed moment - Hands down that moment in Mako's Memory when she turns her head and sees Coyote Tango with the sun shining over him. To make it even better the score for that scene was beautifully done (hell the whole movie's score was amazing)

3. Holy S**t moment - For me hands down it had to be when Gipsy was trying to straighten the chain sword then SLICE!!, followed by a slow-mo fall to earth :D 

4. aman345

Also I was browsing DeviantArt and I found something you guys might laugh at :D 

[​IMG]

5. GFH

GFH The G Squad

News Credits:
    So I met a someone at the movie theatre on my second viewing. Cute, big amber eyes, tall, with a warm heart. Said his middle name was "danger"... I found out he was free, so I brought him home. Let him sit in my bed...

Shame he wasn't very well hung.

[​IMG]
    (Srsly augh they were giving these babies away. I had to have one. No idea where I'm going to put it though. :lol  It's huge.)

Setting up nukes in the ocean is actually a very bad move. You'd destroy the ecosystems in the ocean, not to mention irradiate the water. Overall just kind of a bad call...

6. aman345

It was either that or destroy the world's economy by building elbow rocketing robots. And I think you know which one was a better idea :D 

7. GFH

GFH The G Squad

News Credits:
    Not even a chuckle at my puns man I worked hard on that shit.

Nah just messin' with ya. It's late and I think I'm funny. I can't believe how big that poster is though. 40" tall, 27 across, bit bigger than the prints I was planning to take home...

Who needs an economy when you have elbow rockets? Or cauterising swords? Or the Thundercloud formation? I guess the one bonus to the Jaeger program is the technological advancements made to build them.

Gosh I just - sorry, I'm kind of just rambling now - I love this movie, I walked out of the theatre with my new friend Mr. Danger in hand and walked into a guy who was talking shit. I called over "Don't knock Pacific Rim!" But he misheard me and said "don't watch it?" But I cleared it up so it's OK.

I told a stranger to go see a movie today that's it that's the story.

8. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

1. I was grinning like a looney when Crimson and Cherno double-teamed Otachi; Crimson is going nuts with the buzzsaws, then flips the monster like a little bitch, right into Cherno, who promptly headlocks the thing and punches it with PISTON FISTS! :D 

2. Mako's flashback, definitely. The gorgeous, eerie music, the dead monster, the sunlit Jaeger, and a little girl, despite all the carnage around her, smiling, safe at last. Also, I felt a bit sad when Herc and Chuck said their goodbyes.

"It's alright, Dad. I know."

3. Slattern.

Yes, I agree. I mean, Gipsy's fight with Knifehead lacks the helicopters from the Hong Kong/Sydney battles, because they can't fly in such awful conditions.

But what are awful conditions to a Jaeger? Nothing; a metal colossus has no concern for wind and rain, only for the monster it must slay :D 

:lolol 

Indeed.

Plus, nukes can't gently lift a fishing boat out of harm's way and keep them safe from the monster that insists on eating it :lol 

9. sh002

sh002 Banned

Nice poster

10. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Because of this I REALLY hope we see that Jaeger graveyard in the sequel. Chilling stuff.

[​IMG]

11. JetFormers

JetFormers « Ultima Ratio Hecate »

News Credits:
    So jealous, I wish Walmart had that print instead of the one where, Gyspy is breaking down in Alaska.

12. Digilaut

Digilaut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Watched Pacific Rim today:

Overall, enjoyable, but not as good as could have been (I guess?).

Story was incredibly basic, predictable and straightforward. That's not necessarily a bad thing - I don't think it's trying to be something else, but it's kind of too bad when they have this awesome premise and then fall straight back in line when it comes to telling a compelling story.

Fight scenes were AWESOME, and so was the cgi. Incredibly well done, in my opinion.

Main guy can't act, or at least, he's not showing it off. And there's a decent amount of cheesiness - in the lines, in the character stereotypes and in just how awkward some interactions come across.

I'm really happy for one thing though: the humor is a bit bland, but it never degrades into poop or piss stuff, and although one of the scientists is a very odd British character, there's no 'it's funny cos he's black/fat/******ed!' type of shit. Maybe I'm just exposed to too many Michael Bay movies or something, but it's a relief that stuff was not in there.

So yeah, I enjoyed it, but not to its full extent. I can easily see how this would end up another cult classic, and why people totally dig it, though. :) 

13. aman345

To all the other Tacit Ronin fans like myself here's some sweet artwork someone uploaded on the wiki.

[​IMG]

14. bookwormdalek

bookwormdalek Gotta get a grip

News Credits:
    That one is still pretty badass though.

Anyways...My Jaeger rampage has led to this... I'm deeply sorry...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But wait...it gets worse...

[​IMG]
    Based on his IDW stealth bomber design

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Eurobeatking

Eurobeatking Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Walmart had a print?I missed that?how did you get it?

One of our friends who works at the theater is giving me my friend the big Imax posters and smaller posters,since theyre throwing it anyway after the movie been in theaters for a while.Wouldnt of minding getting the GFH got,lol.

Also were in the process of making Gypsy Danger flight jackets for cosplaying:D .

16. NCStarscream

NCStarscream Me Grimlock cute

News Credits:
    Anybody else planning on getting the Sideshow pieces? I had to preorder Gipsy yesterday. So awesome.

17. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

Glad you liked it, Digilaut! Who was your favourite Jaeger and Kaiju? :D 

Got back from my third viewing today, and I finally realised that Crimson never fully flipped over Otachi, instead stopping halfway through the jump and throwing it backwards. Awesome! :D 

And I love the dramatic surge in music in Gipsy's starting deployment, slamming its fists together before going after Knifehead :D 

18. Tkemert20

Tkemert20 「私は眠い」

News Credits:
  19. aman345

I loved the epic music that played and the you see this amazing shot of Gipsy walking out into the storm to find Knifehead. EPIC STUFF

Also love your sig, guess Gipsy hates orphans now.

20. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

I loved the start of their confrontation; on one side of the fishing boat, there's a titanic monster bursting out of the water, unleashing this epic roar as it rears into the sky, and on the other side, an equally titanic robot sounding its own 'roar', nuclear core glowing in the darkness and panels snapping into place.

Knifehead even hesitates for a moment in face of this challenger (look closely, and you see it pause slightly before Gipsy grabs the boat), and it goes to show that even the Kaiju are not without fear or apprehension :D 

Poor orphans. You should really check what's inside a container before ramming it into a giant electric gorilla alien's face :p