Pacific Rim by Guliermo Del Toro

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Paladin, May 23, 2012.

1. vatarian

vatarian Archentrope, Black Needle, Suzerain of Metabolisms

Trespasser.
    Something about his design just evoked fear and awe in me.

2. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

3. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Okay, I'm going to see this today; I don't care what's in my way.

4. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

If it hasn't already opened in Japan yet, then it is almost a sure bet that it will do big business over there.

5. skiss

skiss Crash and Burn

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Last I looked it had not been released in China or Japan yet.

6. Argentenoboy

Argentenoboy Only mostly dead

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Interestingly, Russia managed to get the #1 spot in Pacific Rim International sales so far

Cherno Alpha is proud

7. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Absolutely.

It won't single-handedly fund it, but it's a good sign.

8. aman345

aman345 Well-Known Member

So after reading this line from Del Toro

Spoilers ahead for those who havent seen it yet

”Just think about it for a second. We sent Gipsy to the other side, right? It exploded, but whatever remains stays there.”-Guillermo Del Toro

So if we see a merging of Kaiju and Jaeger what if the The masters used their technology to rebuild what remains of Gipsy Danger.

9. vatarian

vatarian Archentrope, Black Needle, Suzerain of Metabolisms

Uh, sorry, but that was twin nuclear reactors going nova. I guess they could reverse engineer ash..... And if they were looking for the secret of making molten slag then they'll have a real field day...

10. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Ya, I dunno if he means rebuilding the wreckage of GD. There'd be nothing left. Maybe something more scientific, less lego.

11. 9.8m/s^2

9.8m/s^2 What's in a name?

There would be some pieces left over. GD was a huge construct, and its components were clearly able to withstand incredible stresses from pressure, velocity, and impact. Assuming the reactor explosion was essentially equivalent to a thermonuclear bomb (normal reactor meltdowns don't explode like that, but let's assume this one does), the heat at the detonation point would probably vaporize part of the torso, and the resulting expanding blast wave would shatter the rest of the body, but parts would survive, carried forward with the blast as gigantic shrapnel. The speed of the thermal pulse probably means it wouldn't have enough time to melt through all of GD's armor and structure before the wreckage was blown away by the expanding blast wave. Hard to say for sure, of course, since there's no data on anything heavily built enough to use a cargo ship as a baseball bat and then subsequently survive a fall from at least a thousand feet...after being used as a punching bag by a 3,000-ton EMP gorilla. We do know that ships near an underwater blast are not vaporized, but are heavily damaged, so it seems likely that at least some large pieces of GD would survive.

The Kaiju Masters could conceivably spend the next few months digging bits of arms, legs, and the Comm Pod out of kaiju carcasses.

12. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    You must also remember that Newt connected with the hive mind. They know what he knows. Including Jaegers, their weaknesses, and their knowledge of Kaiju biology and weaknesses.

The aliens will take this, and using their Kaiju tech, bring forth something the likes of which we are not prepared for.

I could see Mecha-Kaiju coming from both sides. Humans with rough, remote-controlled cyborg kaiju (like a computer chip on a roach) with weapons worked in (think Gigan) and perhaps encased in an armor shell/suit, and aliens with techno-organic kaiju (perfected blends of flesh and machine) that look more like something out of Beast Machines and not something out of Robocop.

13. aman345

This would be the perfect way to tie in Godzilla and Pacific Rim with the creation of Mechagodzilla :D 

14. netkid

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    The only way I can see a Pacific Rim/Godzilla crossover happening is if the humans or aliens create some portal, somehow, that happens to open up into Godzilla's Dimension.

Imagine this:

A portal opens up on Earth, a few feet above ground, and shows exactly the same world on the other side when looked through. This garners curiosity. Humans send robots w/cameras through, see other humans, same landmarks, etc. They make contact and discover that this alternate Earth is also being plagued by Kaiju. 1 Kaiju. 1 massively destructive and powerful Kaiju, codenamed "Godzilla." The PacRim humans send Jaegers across to help the alternate earth and fights between multiple Jaegers vs. Godzilla ensue. The Jaegers are having a rough time. Godzilla is HUGE, nearly invincible, and his unique atomic breath is making it hard to even reach him. The Jaegers eventually retreat, too battered to fight. Eventually Godzilla finds his way across the portal into PacRim Earth and faces even more Jaegers. The Aliens send more Kaiju, which run into Godzilla. HE FUCKING PWNS THEM. Realizing from the alternate Earth humans that this destructive new beast is unrelated to the aliens and a creation of our own, the humans from both worlds team up with the intent that "the enemy of my enemy is my friend." They plan to lure Godzilla around the pacific rim to fight more emerging kaiju and eventually to the new alien portal, where they will send him through, and close it off once again. They hope to trap the unstoppable beast in the alien's dimension, free to wreak havoc and fight Kaiju all day long. Godzilla is lured to the portal and a new, very powerful Kaiju emerges. They duke it out, viciously, and with some help from the Jaegers, both beasts fall into the new rift, along with a bunch of robot-controlled nukes. The monsters emerge on the other side, and the nukes disperse throughout the alien dimension, seeking areas of Kaiju farms and detonate. As the radioactive ash settles, Gdozilla emerges, stronger than ever from the massive distribution of atomic energy, and goes about, destroying anything that lives in this strange, new world. As we view Godzilla's rampage, Raleigh's voice is heard over the scene in narration: "The aliens created Kaiju in hopes of exterminating us. So we returned the favor." Cut to black, roll credits. The end.

15. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    Great, now I have a mental image of Gypsy Danger and Godzilla doing that thing from the Rush Hour movies where they punch something simultaneously without looking at it.

16. T4mercustomz

T4mercustomz I LIVE

News Credits:
    Finally got to see this movie and loved it! I really don't remember the last time I had this much fun watching a movie. The story was tight and simple if somewhat predictable. The cgi and special effects blew me out of the water (no pun intended). I would absolutely see it again and hope for a sequel

17. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it!

News Credits:
    Finally went to see PR today...and I gotta say I absolutely loved every minute of it. I was lucky only 3 of us in the whole theater.... for the 3D version which was amazing...we could laugh, scream and clap for the Jaegers without feeling weird about it. :thumb 

On another good note...we all got 2 free movie tickets because the movie started late and the audio was screwed up...only for the previews not PR. Fine with me, triple win!! :D 

So....I'm thinking of using one of those freebies for another viewing...can't wait to watch it again.

18. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    How about Godzilla is from PR Earth. The nuclear detonation of Striker awakens him.

19. netkid

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    :jawdropper: 

*MIND BLOWN.*

20. aman345

He literally just took all your hard typing and bitch slapped it with an even deadlier idea! SOMEONE MAKE THIS!!!!