Pacific Rim by Guliermo Del Toro

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Paladin, May 23, 2012.

1. Scrapmaker

Scrapmaker Hadar Sen Olmen

Even weirder is that she had some interest in Symbionic Titan--SYMBIONIC TITAN for god's sake! Her interests are so screwy I can't keep track of what she likes and what she doesn't like. Still, I'll get laugh at her for missing out on something awesome if I walk out of the theater amazed (and being that the trailers alone amaze me, this is the most likely outcome).

EDIT: But to be perfectly fair, our two-year-old nephew is here right now and I guess she may want to spend time with the little guy (though I think he'll be picked up by the time we go anywhere).
    EDIT2: So turns out she's reconsidered and is planning to come with us.

2. Basilisk

Basilisk It will give you infinite pleasure!

All right guys :)  Definitely watching it now.

3. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Banned

News Credits:
  4. JetFormers

JetFormers « Ultima Ratio Hecate »

News Credits:
    Hah that was actually a cool tv spot

5. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

Haha, wonderful TV spot! Love the guy screaming as ELBOW ROCKETTO connects :lol 
    And look, Onibaba too :D 

Speaking of which, one of the favourite parts of the film's soundtrack identified:
    Pacific Rim Soundtrack - 07. Mako - YouTube

Gracious I loved this bit.

6. aman345

aman345 Well-Known Member

No way! I downloaded the whole album on Amazon. "Mako" and "We Need A New Weapon" are my favorite tracks :D 

7. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Drawings from Argentina! :D

News Credits:
    Little sspot but SO COOL!!! XD Guys, have awful news: after bit more than a week of "Pacific Rim" opening day, the cinemas featuring and the number of screenings can be counted with 2 hands. :(  Seriously, I hate how the movie is being treated in Argentina. :(  It just not getting any love at all. Superman lasted a month in ALL formats. "Pacific Rim" is not only at night, says midnight in 3d and one or two in spanish during the day. And in just a couple cinemas. :S Seriously. wtf Warner? :( 

8. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Banned

News Credits:
  9. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Saw it today.
    6/10
    Acting sucked, aside from Charlie Day. He was fun and made up for some of the lameness of the rest of the cast. Ron Pearlman was okay, but cliche (scene after the credits was great).
    The fighting was really well done, and the kaiju were impressive.
    All in all, a good popcorn flick.
    Needed more GLaDOS, though.

10. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

The box office results are in and I am still baffled as to why this isn't doing better. Everyone I know wants to see it and I really want to see it too (my family and I just got back from vacation and we need to be a little tight with our money for the next two weeks; otherwise, I would have seen it by now). I honestly thought it would hold steady for the next few weeks and bring in about the same numbers each weekend. I also have no idea how Grown Ups 2 beat it again. I thought all the die hard Adam Sandler fans already saw the movie last weekend and it would decline much more. I really thought mainstream audiences were getting smarter with their money when The Lone Ranger flopped, but then they had to prove me wrong. It really is a shame that a new franchise that isn't based on any existing material that introduces two new genres to America isn't getting the love it deserves.

11. godotislate

godotislate S-Secret Police?!

News Credits:
    This basically never happens anymore at the modern box office. There have been only two exceptions: Avatar and Titanic. For blockbuster movies, even those with high Cinemascore grades (meaning exit polls, essentially), a 35-40% loss from the previous weekend is a great result.

Especially with how crowded the marketplace is, cinemas allocate their screens based on how much they expect audiences to be for the movies they're showing. With Pacific Rim, the IMAX showing I went to the opening Friday night @ 11pm was hardly half-full, and the cinemas notice this. Actually, even though PR's Cinemascore was A-, word-of-mouth didn't seem to help because the audience last Saturday and Sunday fell off from what they expected from Friday.

12. unicronic

unicronic Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Pacific Rim is doing ok internationally but bombed real hard in Australia opening 4th I believe.

But at current pace Avengers et al are not getting deposed by this movie anytime soon.

13. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    Copying what I posted on another website this morning...

"Pacific Rim" is geared towards a very specific group of the population. It is not a movie that the masses would embrace. 99% of the audience it was intended for knew of its existence long before it was released.

I saw it this weekend. I was entertained by it, and certainly don't have anything negative to say about it. But I didn't walk out of it feeling the need to recommend it to anyone, or with a strong desire to see it again.

I'll add here: a big reason why it's not (and never was going to) appealing to the mainstream audience is because not only is the threat fictional, but so is the human response. People like alien invasion movies because they are presented as more or less a "real-life" situation... also, this movie starts with the invasion already in progress. The Jaegers exist when the movie starts; the audience isn't there for the experience of deciding to build them and the first encounter. The bond never gets a chance to be created.

14. Kylehudson14

Kylehudson14 On when I'm on

I wish I knew who that was man :) 

Really? And erryfink?

That would be incredible! Id imagine Fort max is twice the height of Gipsy. I found that scale chart on facebook btw

15. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    I disagree. After reading that Red 2 and RIPD flopped this weekend, while Despicable me 2 and Grownups continue to dominate means this: audiences are tired of the big budget scifi movies and are gearing more towards comedy/ family movies. Man of Steel and Star Trek filled the need for those audiences and now everyone have more of a laid back viewing attitude before the summer ends

16. unicronic

unicronic Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Perhaps but also Iron Man 3, MOS and Trek averaged high to great reviews whereas Pacific Rim has got good reviews but not at the same level.

Wolverine is getting some good reviews currently and is an established character so let's see what happens with that.

Also just like the video games industry's peak seasons the movie industry makes insane decisions to place big movies head to head instead of releasing during barren release windows.

17. Grimlockimus

Grimlockimus Wot?

News Credits:
    Box office results or not I'm just really glad this movie was made. And keep in mind that the merchandise alone must be making them a decent amount, especially considering the 18' Gipsy Danger is sold out everywhere I've checked.

On the other hand though, if Smurfs 2 makes more money than Pacific Rim, then I lose all faith in humanity and welcome our new Kaiju overlords.

18. NCStarscream

NCStarscream Me Grimlock cute

News Credits:
  19. Scrapmaker

Scrapmaker Hadar Sen Olmen

Got back about 30 minutes ago.

HOLY. CRAP. :jawdropper: 

To paraphrase Newton: 2 Hours and (how many minutes?) of awesome.
    :rock  :rock 
    Seriously, that was one of the COOLEST movies I've ever seen. EVERYTHING was awesome! I even liked the acting, which I've heard people criticize. It's certainly not a flawless movie, but it was DEFINITELY worth the watch! After watching it, I cannot believe that ANYONE would rather watch Grown Ups, 1 OR 2 instead of Pacific Rim. I REFUSE to accept that! But sadly there's nothing I can do about it...Oh, and my sister had changed her mind came with us--and she's glad that she did! We all loved the movie! The monster designs were some of the best things I had ever seen, and the climax of the movie--EPIC.
    I have to say that of everything in the movie, my favorite part was Slattern rising out of the Breach. When that happened, this is what I was thinking: "Del Toro wasn't lying--that thing is the DEVIL."
    So, yeah, one of my favorite movies now.

I really hope for a sequel. I really, really do.

20. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    However you want to slice it, Pacific Rim still had no shot at ever being a hit.