Pacific Rim by Guliermo Del Toro

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Paladin, May 23, 2012.

1. SearchmanDS

SearchmanDS Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wasn't Slattern's corpse still in the rift?

2. Julliant

Julliant This space for rent.

That or the door doesn't need to be locked from the inside.

3. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

It was. Gipsy goes through another brief set of openings to reach the lab, leaving its foe behind.

Alternatively, the portal takes its sweet time to close up (hence the original plan) and the escape pod simply went out before the door shut.

4. unicronic

unicronic Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Still smells like a major oversight. Even if there was a Kaiju body still in the rift wouldn't that block their exit. Funny how sometimes obvious things get overlooked.

5. 9.8m/s^2

9.8m/s^2 What's in a name?

I suspect an original ending was shot in which one or both of them die at the end, but it didn't go over well with test audiences.
    SPOILERS

Hence the rather quick and plot-hole-ish final escape. I could see Mako getting out, since she was ejected moments after passing through the portal. Raleigh's escape seemed much more forced to me.

6. Tyrannosaur

Tyrannosaur Well-Known Member

Except the "throat" of the Rift is freaking gigantic, even compared to a beast like Slattern. Maybe Slattern's corpse kinda got shoved to the side as Gipsy went down and did his Jesus-pose then went kablooey.

7. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

Correct; the pre-lab section is pretty damn huge, easily fitting the biggest Kaiju and a fairly tall Jaeger with room for them to drift apart. No worries about Slattern blocking the exit.

Unless of course, plot twist, it was still alive and escaped/ate the pod :lol 

8. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Plus, by the time Raleigh's pod was heading out the damage was already being done. They said they monitor the rift, well if everyone monitoring it is dead who's gonna stop a tiny little pod?

9. 9.8m/s^2

9.8m/s^2 What's in a name?

Saw it a third time, this time in IMAX 3D. Wow, does that make a difference.

I went with a buddy whose wife is a huge kaiju and sentai fan. It was her turn to stay at home with the kids, though. At the end of the movie, he turns to me and says: "tell her it sucked, because if she finds out how awesome this was, she will MURDER ME."

10. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Banned

News Credits:
    The breach is fucking enourmous anyway both a category 5 kaiju and a jaeger could fit into it and there was still tons of room for both of them to float freely.

Slattern's body was still floating there and it was keeping the breach open for anything to go in and out of it.

There's no plothole here it's all very clearly visually explained with some minor dialogue.

11. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I didn't need it explained.
    It's locked on one side -totally clear on the concept.

12. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I figured it was because Gypsy was covered in Kaiju DNA at that point, but the idea of the rift being one-way makes sense too.

13. Los

Los Now you see me...

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I saw this last night and thought it was ok. I can't put my finger but outside of the battle scenes, it had a real B movie flavor to it. Maybe it was some of the characters in it. The concepts were great (the drift, jaegers, etc.) but acting/story was kinda meh.

14. Basilisk

Basilisk It will give you infinite pleasure!

Really want to watch this movie, but I'm undecided whether to watch it now or wait for it's DVD release.

15. vatarian

vatarian Archentrope, Black Needle, Suzerain of Metabolisms

Go fucking watch it. Now. Or Grownups 2 will triumph and the light of quality cinema will forever be extinguished.

16. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

The cinema is the best place for a movie like this Basilisk.

Find the biggest goddamn screen, the loudest goddamn speakers and just prepare to have your skin ripped off. Fantastic!

17. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

I can understand why there are people who want to see Grown Ups 2, but I still can't wrap my head around why anyone would pay to see what could easily just be a direct to DVD movie if it weren't for the cast over Pacific Rim; the kind of movie that theaters are practically made for and enhance the experience.

18. sh002

sh002 Banned

Grown Ups 2 was a major piece of shit

19. Scrapmaker

Scrapmaker Hadar Sen Olmen

I'm (hopefully) going to see it today! Yessssss, this pleases me.

But my sister is weird. She'll watch things like the Astro Boy movie and heck, she'll watch the Transformers Movies again and again, but this movie "doesn't interest her." Her exact words. So I guess she's not coming with us (me, my brother and my dad). She's interested in a movie based on an old anime and in a movie about a giant robot war but when it comes to Giant Monsters vs Giant Robots she loses interest. Heck, superhero movies catch her attention and she's willing to go see those! Even weirder: one of her favorite cartoons FUNCTIONED ON having Giant Robot vs Giant Monster battles all the time (Super Robot Monkey Team)! I'd be fine with her lack of interest in this movie if it didn't conflict with her other interests.

Oh well, guess she'll be missing out.

20. aman345

aman345 Well-Known Member

My friend i'll say this in the nicest way possible, "Your sister is an idiot and she is about to miss out on 2 hours of robot greatness"

But as for you kick back and prepare to be amazed :D