Oversized KO MPM Optimus Prime - Lightly Modified

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by BLNadal, Jan 15, 2018.

1. D0nut

D0nut Well-Known Member

Also his vehicle mode was a Mack Granite tanker
    TF3-Fuel-Truck_1281436650.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  2. deathzero23

deathzero23 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Looks like I'll settle with LS-03 preorder..
    Extra guns and other weapons.. LS-03F so far have the big gun only.

3. Optimatron

Optimatron Autobot

Finally got my replacement in! What a wait haha. But I gotta thank my ebay guy for taking care of me. Better late than never. I was also able to fix my broken Prime. He's not transformable, but now I have one for robot, and one for Alt mode!! I can take more pics later, but this replacement figure is a v2 with the updated (downgraded imo) paint. It really lacks the metallic flake in the blue that my v1 has here.

IMG_20190320_110243_088.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  4. ChromeMagnus

ChromeMagnus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 1
  5. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Really?

Well that pretty much says i won't be getting their DOTM version. I was already iffy on the abs version they did. If they've downgraded paint it really may not be worth while.

6. BrutiKing

BrutiKing Everything, right now, shining in hope.

News Credits:
  7. ChromeMagnus

ChromeMagnus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Optimatron

Optimatron Autobot

I hear they are going back to the Metallic flake of v1 with the DOTM version. Take that with a grain of salt however, because I heard it from one of my followers on instagram, so I'm not sure whether it is true or not.

Here is a couple pictures of each version.
    V1 has the metallic flake and a darker blue, but my copy has VERY muted eyes (first 3 pictures). V2 has the glossy blue, but the eyes are lighter and much more visible in natural lighting (up front in the detolf and the version pictured in the rest of the photos). For me the differences are minor and v2 is still VERY photogenic and beautiful even without the metallic flake in the blue.

20190323_162827.jpg 20190323_153256.jpg 20190323_153140.jpg PSX_20190321_113630.jpg
    PSX_20190324_225644.jpg PSX_20190324_225545.jpg PSX_20190324_224822.jpg IMG_20190324_223852_783.jpg PSX_20190324_213529.jpg PSX_20190324_213159.jpg IMG_20190324_153408_019.jpg

• Like Like x 12
  9. Beefkr10z

Beefkr10z Well-Known Member

Whelp, my LS-03 arrived today, and my heart was in my mouth when I saw the smashed box. On unwrapping the bubble wrap, everything actually seemed OK, but then the bits fell out of the packaging. I seem to have a broken tab somewhere on the figure, but I'll be damned if I can find where it's come from, and the back piece that connects the front fender is holding together by a hair. *Sigh* now to try and get a refund/replacement. Other than that, the figure looks stunning.
    I bought it from AliExpress seller Taotao store, so be careful if you order this figure.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
  10. Hexatron

Hexatron Plastic crack junky

Is that tab the one that is on the inside of the front wheel armature? Either way I'd definitely request a replacement.

11. Beefkr10z

I've not been able to find where it came from yet. It just sucks to wait over a month to get a broken figure, just because the seller didn't package it up properly. I've asked for a refund, so I just have to wait for AliExpress to get back to me.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Mark Fuller

Mark Fuller Well-Known Member

get onto taobao mate. u will be much more happy. shipping times and condition of packaging is much better, plus not to mention the savings u will get.. i used ali once upon a time too, never again tho.

• Like Like x 1
  13. hal9000b

hal9000b Well-Known Member

Hello everybody,
    I tried to find out which oversized MPM-4 is the best and if it scales well with normal sized Masterpieces? But finding something is a pain in... thousand posts in hundred different threads. Can someone help me out? Wei Jiang, Black Mamba V1 or V2 or any other firm? Thank you very much.

14. sadsfas

sadsfas Well-Known Member

Size wise Blue Circus I think. But paintjob is about as shoddy as Hasbro MPM-4.

Black Mamba is way too big but it has a few changed details aiming to be more accurate to the Movie design. Wei Jiang's should be a little bit smaller with even more modifications to parts but it hasn't been released.

IMHO regular sized MPM-4 is just about adequate in terms of playbility though.

• Like Like x 2
  15. fury413

fury413 Well-Known Member

Here are a few comparison photos of mine with Black Mamba V1 OS MPM-4 and Hasbro's MPM-4 with Hasbro's MP Sideswipe, Ironhide and Wheeljack. The Black Mamba prime is extremely detailed and well worth the money. But as you mentioned it is a large figure. If you can locate a Legendary Toys KO MPM-4 it is painted and detailed much better than Hasbro's MPM-4 and it is the same size. The fourth photo is from Ben's Collectibles youtube video comparing the Blue Circus OS MPM-4 on the left and Black Mamba's OS V1 OS MPM-4 on the right. The fifth photo is from Ben's Collectibles youtube video comparing the Black Mamba's OS V1 OS MPM-4 and the Legendary Toys KO MPM-4. The last three photos are Ben's Collectibles youtube comparison of Hasbro's MPM-4 on the left and Legendary Toys KO MPM-4 on the right. You can instantly see the higher detail in the Legendary Toys KO MPM-4. IMG_20190414_074511.jpg IMG_20190414_074642.jpg IMG_20190414_074822.jpg Screenshot 2019-04-14 at 8.20.07 AM.png Screenshot 2019-04-14 at 8.24.15 AM.png Screenshot 2019-04-14 at 8.29.23 AM.png Screenshot 2019-04-14 at 8.28.58 AM.png Screenshot 2019-04-14 at 8.30.11 AM.png

• Like Like x 4
  16. Beefkr10z

I
    I've used AliExpress a lot over the last few years, and this is the first time there's been a serious problem. I think it was just bad luck with a crappy seller. Anyway, the BMB Prime has been returned to the seller for a refund, as they were only going to offer $10 off for the breakages. It's cost me a fair bit in return postage, but I'd rather get back as much as I can on the figure and call it a day for this transaction.

17. deathzero23

News Credits:
    Finally got my BMB LS-03.
    I'm not sure if the version i got was v1 or v2 since i tested it in a room with average lighting.
    I'll try fiddling it again tonight in a room with max bright lights.

My copy is good as advertised so far:
    - Glossy Surface paint finish.
    - Darker Blue than the Hasbro version
    - Tight joints (probably because it's new)

Well I took time the tinker with the hood area and observe some parts why it was very stable hood compared to Hasbro.
    - BMB added stability cavities midway of the Y-assembly of the hood to be hooked in the forearms.
    - If those parts already in Has-Tak version, I could say it's poor QC that those cavities aren't doing their designated funtion to keep the hood parts from popping up.
    - They did something on the Side Doors/Windows to be able to locked in while not stressing the contact on other plastic parts as opposed to the original.
    - The cavity/slot (under the red plastic/hood) that catches the front wheel's folding (silver) arms is durable, spacious and squared enough to fit and hold that area of contact point. In the original, the slot is way thinner, and the longer that slot holds the tab, stress mark will show on the side of the front hood.
    - I applaud their faux parts to simulate the robot and alt-mode. Namely: the shoulder with springs, "L" side-chest panels in the Side Doors/Windows, the silver panels that covers the lower back of the truck's cab.
    - Another stability joint is the Smokestacks joint. Instead of the "align/shoot it in the hole" in the original mold, BMB decided to use "Slide-Hook" mechanism and that joints are thick enough to hold that section.
    - The Rear Bumper lock to Hip Joint mechanism really worked. I guess it's the intended design of the original mold. In my original MPM-4 that secion is useless. I can aligned it but you can't feel any mechanism that slides or hook or locking it together. In the BMB's take, that area really locked in both hip joint.
    - There's an added joint to the front-end of the Y-arms of the hood panels. You can move it a bit up or down.

My ONLY CONCERNS are:
    - I can't fold out and fold in the Y-Arms of the hood from bot mode as easy as in the original MPM-4. How do you guys fold it out and in without stressing or having contact with the side doors/windows panels?
    - Is the white stress mark looking object in the lower (main) hinge (disregard the faux panel attached to it) of the side doors/windows panel normal on most copies? Does it pose a threat of breakage?

Overall the figure is great. It's recommendable for Display or Toy Photography Purposes. You can play it too. Plastic is strong. But knowing it's a KO, it's good practice to take extra precautions fiddling it as compared to endless toying with the original product. It's massive heavy beast so I don't know if you want to play with this huge TF.

I guess I'll be fiddling with original MPM-4 to see locking mechanism again and try to emulate BMB's intended design on the original stability areas. Maybe I missed on something that LS-03 showed me "it should be this way to lock these tabs, etc.". And see if could work. Although I'll no longer expect any improvements since my Original MPM-4 can't lock the Truck mode together.

And it seems like my Orig MPM-4 may end up as my quick go to play time version of the mold in botmode only. Since it's not big and heavy as BMB's. And if ever I have extra cash, I might get the version of LT-02.

Part of me telling to just sell my Orig MPM-4 but part of me telling me to just keep it as reminder that even official products can screw customers. It's Hasbro's fault on making me getting this figure. If they didn't screw up, I'll be contended in their MPM-4 offering.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Hexatron

Yea I posted about the stress marks in the clear sode windows a couple months ago. Mine dont seem to be getting any worse. There is a very specific sweet spot that requires minimal stress to get the parts past each other.

• Like Like x 2
  19. deathzero23

News Credits:
    So do anyone of you guys have those stressmark as well?

And where's or how to look for that specific sweet spot you're saying? Did anyone find those spot?

Thanks!

20. Hexatron

It would be hard to explain without pictures, and I am on vacation right now. Then you swing the hood pieces into the chest the side windows should be swung out as far as possible and the inner face should be positioned parallel to the actual chest. I can take pictures when I get home but that won't be for about 9 more days.

• Like Like x 1