Overrated features

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Autobot X, Jul 9, 2014.

1. Autobot X

Autobot X Check out my sales thread!

If this has been discussed before, mods delete yadda yadda yadda.

What do you feel are the most overrated Transformers features?

I get tired of seeing/hearing criticisms about the lack of certain features I don't care about, as well as praise for those features when they are included.

Here are mine:
    Articulated fingers. More pieces to break off, and generally weak grip on weapons. Plus, someone always has to post pictures of robots flipping the bird.
    Open hands that lead to fingers breaking off. My Animated Arcee is missing a thumb. :( 
    Clear windows. Why do I need to see the bits inside the car? As nice-looking as Evasion Prime is, his truck windows look awful. I was happy to see Reprolabels make stickers to cover them.
    Light piping. It's neat, and I'm not against it, but I don't feel like it's necessary. I'd actually rather they paint all the Autobots' eyes blue and the Decepticons' eyes red.
    Rubber wheels. They look nice at first, but then they rot and fall off. Not cool.
    Die Cast. Usually it makes the figure heavy and floppy, and the paint ends up chipping. PE Warden pulls it off nicely, though.

Now, just to add some positivity, here are some things I find really neat:
    Clever weapons storage in vehicle or robot mode. I don't collect movie toys, but Hound is tempting. I love that he comes with a billion weapons that all attach to him in either mode. I also like MP 10's folding gun that stores in his back. Generations Blurr and Drift's weapons store nicely, too.

Transformation sound effect. There aren't a huge amount of TF's who make this sound (Armada Overload is the only one that comes to mind, though I know there are others), but I like it.

Ratchet joints. LOVE...as long as they work well. Generations Springer's ratchets are super nice. Animated Ultra Magnus's leg ratchets are set weird, though, and he stands funny.

2. ThaConqueror

ThaConqueror Rock! Robot Rock!

Honestly? I never got the appeal of waist articulation. For some reason it always looks weird when I try to use it, and when it breaks up sculpted detail it just looks like I broke the thing.

3. Electro Rush

Electro Rush Just a guy waiting for the perfect Whirl

News Credits:
    With few exceptions (like Murderbee) I don't really care about light piping.

Auto-transformations in general. I wanna do that shit myself.

Spring-loaded missiles in weapons. Its just a piece to lose. At least with friction-based missiles there isn't the chance of accidental firing.

4. Dean ML

Dean ML Well-Known Member

Lights and sound effects. Usually means a battery compartment that led to design compromises.

5. hup2thepenguin

hup2thepenguin Beagle.in.red

Paint apps. Like seriously, people go on about paint jobs like it's everything that matters. People would buy and rate a broke toy with great paint as the best figure in the line because it looks accurate.

6. TheShockwave48

TheShockwave48 Kinda sorta artist

News Credits:
    Ankle tilts. I think wrist swivels are more important.

7. RandomGuy

RandomGuy Well-Known Member

I absolutely love light-piping. The way their eyes just glow...

Electronics I agree about, since the battery pack leads to design compromises and the batteries can leak in storage.

Personally, I can live without ankle and wrist articulation. I see them as a luxury rather than a necessity.

8. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Rubber tires for sure. Never had a problem with plastic wheels, easier to powerslide around.

Articulated fingers, is not too bad, except for when they make hands super fragile and MP Soundwave's finger keeps popping off.

Can't really think of others I don't like.

9. Autobot X

Autobot X Check out my sales thread!

Agreed on all counts. It's not like I don't like these things, it's just that I feel they are negligible in the long run.

On the subject of articulation, I grew up G1, so I'm kind of indifferent. I feel like there are a lot of figures with insane amounts of articulation that actually kind of compromises the figure. For example, I had some trouble getting Generations Orion Pax to stand straight the other day because he just has too many joints in his feet. If they were ratcheted, or had preset notches of some sort, it would be easier.

10. heltskelt

heltskelt Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Love rubber wheels. My G1s and Alternators still have uncracked tires. Love weapons that store hidden or discreetly in alt mode.

Although I love the idea of fully-articulated hands, as already mentioned they tend to be too fragile.

Also, I would've much rather have MP Soundwave store 1 or 2 less cassettes in his deck if it meant his batteries could be stored inside his body like the original in alt mode. For a Masterpiece, they're ridiculous outside.

11. IronicHide

IronicHide MEME GO HERE

Er, all three Bay movies.

(Y'know, features. No?)

12. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    light and sound gimmicks in transformers.

13. RandomGuy

RandomGuy Well-Known Member

Agreed. Although they at least managed to keep them from sticking out and breaking the silhouette from above.

As a tape player he looks great from almost every angle, and I appreciate that.

14. Blazere

Blazere :)

News Credits:
    Weapons that integrate into the alt mode. Once you lose those, the vehicle mode is incomplete.

15. Rodimus530

Rodimus530 Active Member

I dislike childish gimmicks or "features" in toys where it compromises the transformation or appearance, like in Beast Wars Bonecrusher. I love the look of the toy, and it could have been one of my favorite Beast Wars figures, but it has the entire length of the bison off of it's head because it is also a spring-loaded missile launcher.

16. brr-icy

brr-icy MP Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ankle tilts are negligible. Don't care for them, since as soon as they get loose, they make the figure unstable.

finger articulation with unpinned fingers, a little piece of metal would fix the issue.

17. TFfanatic88

TFfanatic88 Banned

Rubber wheels, diecast, lights and sound.

18. Backstop

Backstop Have you seen my box art?

News Credits:
    so then what do you like that you think is not over rated?

19. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    Waist swivel I don't get why people freak out if there is none on a figure.

20. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Dislike:
    Rubber tires
    Lights and sounds
    Airplane/jet articulated wheels-- I am one of the few who could care less, save the engineering.