Overrated and underrated transformers shows

Discussion in 'Transformers Cyberverse and Cartoon Discussion' started by Tfcollector97, May 29, 2020.

1. Tfcollector97

Tfcollector97 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    Name transformers shows that gets a lot of people liking it or defending and it did nothing to deserve the ratings or a show that has done everything right and is still overlooked and keeps its low rating (you can do both or one)

For me (my opinion)
    Overrated G1 and cyberverse: I like both of them but they aren’t really as good as everyone says like for g1 there is a lot of nostalgia critics that praise it as beings the best tf show because it was the first even with the animation errors and inconsistent story, cyberverse has as many flaws as g1 and a lot of people like it for the dumbest reasons like “it introduces characters overlooked” but it barely does anything with some of the characters and “it isn’t serious like other shows” but it still shouldn’t be mostly kid appealing.

underrated animated: I see a lot of people calling animated a bad show like it was a bad show and it’s really not it gives character development and introduces new incarnations of characters, I get that they might not like some of the humans but other than that animated was a good show.

• Like Like x 4
  2. TheUltimateBum

TheUltimateBum Nautica Lover

Personally, for me, underrated would be G1 seasons three and four, Beast Machines and RiD 2001. IMO, BM is quite possibly the best dark TF cartoon, RiD 2001 is the best light-hearted TF cartoon while G1 seasons three and four has a little bit of both. I just enjoy these shows and their characters a whole lot.

Overrated for me would be TFA and TFP. A lot of people praise these shows, but I just never got what was so good about them. There were a few good characters (Blackarachnia, Starscream and Shockwave in TFA, Shockwave, Starscream, Smokescreen, Knock Out and Bulkhead in TFP) and some good ideas, but most of the characters were pretty bland and a lot of ideas were pretty much wasted or mishandled. The Elite Guard in TFA in particular just never did it for me. They were a good idea on paper, but total buffoons and not credible at all. In fact, the 'cons got defeated by these bozos? It really nullifies any threat they bring. If the Guard were a real threat or, much more interestingly, the villains of this show, I would have really liked it more. The Starscream clones were also a good idea, but in this one, I think TFP did it better, since at least they were clones and not just the other Seeker characters with Starscream traits. The Seekers should be their own individual characters, and the fact that they just became parts of Starscream just annoyed me.

Plus, some characters were downright irritating. Bumblebee and Ratchet in particular were pretty annoying. I feel they should have used a more rarer character instead of Ratchet as the grouch. Someone like Siren would have worked better, because seeing Ratchet as a complete grouch instead of a party-loving medic was a turn off for me. Sentinel Prime was pretty irritating too, and characters just didn't leave an impression on me (Prowl, Jazz, Swindle and the Dinobots were some of the characters that did aboslutely nothing for me).

TFA also had too many characters that brought in for no story purpose. It really annoyed me when I saw designs for Glyph and Botanica, 'cause I thought "Shit, they're gonna appear!!!", but then, they were just relegated to cameos. In fact, I really feel they should have made TFA an anthology series featuring different characters from episode to episode in order to make good use of all the designs they had.

However, TFP also had its flaws. PTSD was horribly mishandled in it, with Arcee becoming a pretty disappointing and irritating character because of its mishandling. This is one thing I'll give Animated, it handled PTSD right, whereas TFP just didn't seem to get a grasp on the concept.

However, TFP Arcee wasn't the only irritating character for me. Miko and Ratchet were also pretty irritating and I just didn't find them likeable at all. Also, Bumblebee, Ultra Magnus, Optimus, Megatron, Breakdown, Jack and Raf are total bores. Optimus and Megatron... it's inevitable that they will be the weakest parts. TFA did bring an interesting Optimus (though personally, I felt they should have used Rodimus if they wanted a young leader), but in TFP, he was just boring. Megatron was pretty bland and boring in both shows to me. He just never worked as the manipulator as well as BW/BM Megs did.

And Ultra Magnus... goddamn, what a waste in both shows. In TFA, Magnus could have easily been Optimus Prime. He was just boring and really didn't do anything for me. As for TFP, what the hell? How could they make Ultra Magnus such a damsel-in-distress? It's just humilliating.

So yeah, sorry I got carried away again, but I had to vent. Anyway, yeah, I definitely think TFA and TFP are the most overrated shows, and it does bring a lot of annoyance to me. Seasons three and four of G1, BM and RiD 2001 I feel are shows that deserve a bit more attention, because writing wise, I felt these were the most solid shows.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  3. BigRed

BigRed Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    "Someone online disagreed with an opinion I hold and I need to vent: the thread"

• Like Like x 9
  4. TheUltimateBum

TheUltimateBum Nautica Lover

Well, a lot of threads are kinda like that, so... :p 

• Like Like x 3
  5. Tfcollector97

Tfcollector97 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    Yeah that really sums it up was trying to defend animated but failed:( 

6. Smokeyoreo18

Smokeyoreo18 Has to wait 330 days till he can watch RoTB

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    Overrated:

G1

Armada I’m sorry could never get into the show

Animated: before you pick up your pitchforks I love this show but people really make it out to be WAY better than it actually is people make it out to be like the dark knight when in reality it’s something along the lines of aquaman or Wonder Woman and plus season 1 is extremely overrated the only good thing about s1 was the 3 parter and the finale but s2 and s3 makes up for it

Rid 2015: man this show was the most disappointing thing since TLK it had so much potential to be better than prime but it failed miserably it had some good moments like the finales and the starscream arc and the voice cast was great but other than that it was horrible I don’t want to EVER hear anybody who likes rid 2015 complain about prime EVER

Underrated:

Prime: people make it out to be WAY worse than it actually is seriously I saw a comment saying that prime was worse than energon it has its fans everywhere else but tfw2005 despises it like damn it has its problems but they’re not completely terrible like energon

Cyberverse: it’s an actually a pretty great show I expected it to be crap but it was way better than I expected the writers are fans and it shows and there’s a lot of Easter eggs and I get giddy every time there is one and also s3 is a good as prime and animated.

Power of the primes: it’s probably the best part of the prime wars trilogy megatron was the best part of the trilogy and he’s the lead which is great and it has mark hamill and Ron Perlman well this is a unpopular opinion but I liked their performances and the plot was pretty good too megatronus trying to resurrect Solus prime was a great idea

Last edited: May 31, 2020
    • Like Like x 5
  7. Rumblestorm

Rumblestorm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Overrated: G1, RiD 2001, Cyberverse. Holy crap, Cyberverse.
    Underrated: Prime and Animated. I don't ever want to hear anyone who loves Cyberverse complaining about Prime or Animated.

Last edited: May 29, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  8. Smokeyoreo18

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    Animated is one of the most praised TF shows ever but prime I can understand

• Like Like x 3
  9. Rumblestorm

News Credits:
    Honestly I mostly said that cause I just saw a board were people were giving it crap.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Agent Maryland

Agent Maryland Active Member

I wouldn't be surprised if that was because of the animation style. TBH, it's a bit off-putting at first, and this is coming from someone who held that view since it came out until last year.

11. Rumblestorm

News Credits:
    Nah, they basically said the characters were either bland or annoying, and the story was boring.

12. Fc203

Fc203 #RestoreTheBayVerse

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Overrated. Animated its dumb and boring, unicron trilogy sucks i barely made it armada and i tried watching energon but i didnt make it pass the 5th episode
    Underrated. Prime its a good show with a great story and animation really wished it continued but im glad it ended on a high note
    Cyberverse is pretty underrated i dont know why some people hate its like a g1 modern reboot, first season was alright the first 4 episodes are bad the other 2 seasons on the other hand are great

13. Smokeyoreo18

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    I suggest you that don’t say that on the boards because a lot of people would want your head on a stick now

• Like Like x 2
  14. REMINATOR

REMINATOR Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i totally agreed with you on both counts. In TFA, UM was the Supreme Leader, yet his role was very disappointing. His toy in both mode is absolutely gorgeous and looks powerful with all of those weapons on him, Yet, the writer still find way to screw up his character. To add insult to injury, TTomy didn't even acknowledge him as the Autobot Leaders when they didn't put him in the list of all the Autobots Leaders. As Prime UM, slightly better than TFA UM in term of role and screen time, yet still disappointing. Why? You have a 2nd most powerful Autobot warrior and leader of the Wrecker, and yet his a$$ was saved by a rookie Smokescreen during the battle with the 2 predacons (Skylynx and Darksteel)! Come on, writer!

As for the question,
    Underrated:
    G1 S3,4
    TF Prime

Overrated:
    Cyberverse RID, heck, any TF Show which features Bee as Leader. I love my Bee to be the little bugger and sidekick, lol.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde シン・ブリュンヒルド

News Credits:
    Overrated: TF Prime.

Underrated: Beast Machines.

• Like Like x 4
  16. pegasusprime

pegasusprime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Overrated g1 and prime
    Underrated armada,cyberverse, cybertron both have slow beggining but when you pass half the series they became good, armada have a good soundtrack, starcream and hot shot were good, the death of smokescreen, the search for the requium blaster, the hidra cannon and death of prime, and the best the unicron battles that was amazing, cyverberse season 1 was crap, season 2 and 3 awesome the quintessons, starscream army,cheetor have good things
    Cybertron give us primus, some great battles, introduce us to vector prime, prime has some character development doubts, starscream saga

• Like Like x 1
  17. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I feel like Prime is a bit overrated, depending on who you talk to. I mean, it certainly has some great aspects, but some people talk like it's the ultimate piece of Transformers media. I would consider it above-average, but not that fantastic. It has some major flaws, and tons of behind the scenes drama that shows in the storytelling. It's biggest strength is how entertaining and watchable it is, but it's not some sort of masterpiece.

As much as I love it, I have to consider G1 a bit overrated. Some fans talk like it's the gold standard for Transformers media. You could make the argument that it's the gold standard for Transformers iconography, but I think they can do a lot better storytelling-wise.

I consider RID2015 underrated. Sure it's not a masterpiece, but it's a more than competent show that accomplishes what it sets out to do. I argue it comes together as a better whole than Prime did...when you look at Prime as a whole, it's sort of a mess. RID2015 has problems (I find the latter two seasons forgettable), but I wouldn't describe it as a mess by any means. RID2015 aimed lower than Prime, but I don't see that as a flaw. Prime may have aimed too high. I would compare Prime to a failed home-run, and RID2015 to a successful run to first base. And fair enough if people prefer the former, but I feel like there's a lot more to appreciate in RID2015 than people give it credit for.

• Like Like x 5
  18. Liege Nemesis

Liege Nemesis Snarks about old cartoons

I think the biggest problem for RID15 is that it's a decent enough show that is a bad sequel to Prime. If it wasn't tied to Prime as a direct continuation/sequel series and there wasn't a sense from Prime fans that "the show I liked died for this?" on account of its different visual style and tone then it would probably be received better.

I think it could end up as the next Beast Machines or RID01 in that it was heavily derided around the time of its release, but distance and hindsight will come back around to look at it more positively. Personally I never minded it, though I admittedly did my best to not really think about it being tethered to Prime whenever I could help it (I thoroughly enjoyed the first... half or so? of Prime, but got ground down by how it changed in the back half seemingly because of budget cuts and a need to wrap things up. And Predacons Rising suuuuuuuuucked and I almost prefer to just pretend it never happened.)

• Like Like x 1
  19. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Underrated:
    RID 2015
    Almost everyone seems to dump on this show. Or at least that’s how it seems. I enjoyed the lighter tone. It makes sense to me that things would get brighter after the Autobots had won the war & killed off Unicron a 2nd time.

I love the huge amount of new characters that RID added to the universe. There was a lot of fun creativity to their robot modes as well. And yes, it was mostly animal-esque Decepticons, but I loved the majority of them & they also had plenty of traditional ‘cons in the later seasons too. By the end of the series, it was a pretty decent mix.

It boggles my mind how many people outright hate this show. It was fun!

TFP has its issues like any show, but I like it & RID just fine. Though I tend to prefer RID.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Rodimal Rodimus

Rodimal Rodimus Agent of Unit:E

Underrated: RiD2001, Armada, and Cybertron

• Like Like x 2