Overlord's fate? *MTMTE 15 SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by JazzbandTFW2005, Apr 11, 2013.

1. JazzbandTFW2005

JazzbandTFW2005 Well-Known Member

So even though he got triggered by Rodimus, courtesy of Chromedome, & then got trapped in the pod & "blown up" by Fort Max & again, Chromedome, wasn't he invincible? So does anyone think he might survive & manage to get back on the ship? Or maybe he did die? What are your guys' thoughts?

2. CVprowl

CVprowl Done

date with the djd?

3. LordGigaIce

LordGigaIce A Chair!

No one is invincible. There's just various stages of "hard to kill."

I think Overlord, and possibly Rewind, are still alive, though I'm kind of hoping he isn't. IDW Overlord (Gigatron 4lyfe yo) has been been fun, but his shtick's gotten old. He's crazy, hard to kill, and he shows up to murder your favourite characters. We've done it twice now, let's move on.

4. Iro the Dude

Iro the Dude Decepticon Seeker Leader

I'm pretty sure we've not seen the last of him. He's still got a meeting with the D.J.D. and possibly Megatron due. I just hope that if/when we do see him, it's not just so he can kill people. And I trust James enough to avoid that; he's gotta know bringing him back for the same thing a third time would just be stale.

5. PredaconElder

PredaconElder Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If Overlord could be killed so easily it would have already been done.

6. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot

News Credits:
    I'm going to hold to the old adage of "believe none of what you hear and only half of what you see." I'll believe Overlord is dead when IDW publishes its final issue.

7. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I highly doubt he's dead. If anything he's an metal skeleton again.

8. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I read a comic.

Someone supposedly died.

There was no body.

That mofucka ain't dead.

9. Squall42080

Squall42080 Autobot RSX Type-S

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I doubt he is dead. In MTMTE, there is a reason for everything, and the issue made sure to note that Overlord always wanted those psych "needles" in his hands.

Those needles were in the pod with him and rewind when Chromedome got his arm cut off.

What's even better is the psychopath now has a cameraman for when he finally confronts the living Megatron.

10. Digilaut

Digilaut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If he ever returns remains to be seen, but it's clear his death was intentionally left vague, so that, if he was ever needed again, he could return in a plausible way.

I guess that's why his and Rewind's deaths didn't really register for me. I already assumed he would survive, possibly shielding Rewind in the process.

Still loved that issue, though.

11. Goldbolt

Goldbolt Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Personally I think he got away with Rewind and Chromedome's surgical hand probably uninjured. Three panels make me believe this:

The panel where they explicitly show that Chromedome's forearm ended up in Overlord's cell due to the door cutting it off as it closes. This falls into the Chekhov's Gun category, why bother to show that so unequivocally unless it was going to be important later. Also Overlord specifically mentions wanting needles in his hands as he's attacking Rodimus.

The panel where Rewind manages to say "I'm Sorry Domey. (bubble pause) I'm sorry things didn't work out." in the time that it takes the ship's countdown to register one second. The fighting in the slow cell clearly broke it, if it was working properly five seconds in ship's time would pass almost in an instant in slowed time. My congecture is that the cell was actually a "fast cell" instead due to the rough handling it got and Brainstorm's experimental tech being known for being buggy.

Lastly the panel where you see the missiles from the ship streaking towards the cell, on the bottom left of the image of the cell space is colored and drawn to look suspiciously like the slow cell exploding from the inside before the missiles hit it.

So what really happened? In the short time Chromedome took to run to the bridge from the basement, Overlord has enough sped up time to grab Rewind and the severed hand and stuff them into his jet mode. He then transformed and blew a hole in the side of the cell and flew out of it just as the missiles hit.

Reading this issue reminded me a lot of reading the Game of Thrones book series. Each chapter is written from a specific character's perspective so the entire series exists in this state of unreliable narrators. The first time the point of view character "sees someone die" only to be found to have been mistaken several hundred pages later, its shocking and then surprising and satisfying. The fifth time someone is reported dead "off panel" you roll your eyes and go, of course he's not dead. Roberts already showed with Rung being shot in the head that even drawing someone with their head blown off doesn't mean they are dead. Hell go read RID for that story point too.

So putting Overlord in a malfunctioning slow cell with Rewind and Chromedome's hand then not showing us bodies? They're both completely fine.

That said I am hoping that the way around "Overlord doesn't have interstellar travel ability" problem is the DJD tracking him and showing up to save him and Rewind. Even if to just try to kill them both. I trust Roberts to have someone awesome in store there.

12. LordGigaIce

LordGigaIce A Chair!

I think it's doubtful he ever confronts Megatron. Megatron's currently involved in his last gasp to regain power on Cybertron, and it's very possible that ends poorly for him.

If they ever do meet, though, I think it'll be fitting if Megatron just curb stomps him.

13. WilyMech

WilyMech Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I doubt Overlord is dead. If Rewind is not dead somehow he might wish he was dead.

As for Chromedome there so sort fall out going occur. However even if Rewind still in the land of the living his and Chromedome relationship is changed or over.

14. noblekale

noblekale There can be only one!

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    The obvious thing is, Overlord is going to find the best way to hurt Chromedome using Rewind. If you were a psychopath with new needle-fingers, and someone who you could use for revenge, wouldn't YOUR first thought be "let's play around and see what we can do?" I could easily see Overlord convince Rewind that he's his friend, and that Chromedome was the one responsible. Does it make sense for everyone outside the mindfuck? No. Would it make sense to Rewind if Overlord rewrites his memories and "shows" him what happened? Yes. He could easily use the Soundwave memory that he showed Chromedome and just replace Soundwave with Dominus.

Who knows. This might lead to finding out what REALLY happened to him, and further damage their relationship.

Side note, wouldn't it be funny if Dominus got reforged into Ambulon?

15. Squall42080

Squall42080 Autobot RSX Type-S

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I'm sure Megatron will beat the spark out of him, but they need to meet for Overlord to come full circle.

Then he can die officially.

16. LordGigaIce

LordGigaIce A Chair!

I can't shake the feeling that Dominus is Overlord.

17. Kraken

Kraken Is a vegiesaurus, Lex. Veteran

News Credits:
    I highly doubt it. Nothing from Dominus's backstory adds up to him being Overlord. A tenuous link from his name at best.

18. LordGigaIce

LordGigaIce A Chair!

There's the name and there's the way that #15 ended. Whether they died or not, Overlord and Rewind ended up together. That takes on a whole new level of tragedy if Overlord is Dominus.

19. Kraken

Kraken Is a vegiesaurus, Lex. Veteran

News Credits:
    It doesn't fit, at all. Dominus and Rewind were off looking for Luna 2 whilst Overlord was having his aft handed to him by Megs in the pit. They didn't return until after the war had already started and both immediately became Autobots. There's a big secret to be revealed about Dominus (by Chromedome) but him being Overlord ain't it, I'd bet my bottom dollar.

20. noblekale

noblekale There can be only one!

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Exactly. He's NOT Overlord. But, OL could make Rewind THINK he is with the mindwarping.

My comment about Ambulon being Dominus is due to a question asked in the letters page about Ambulon, and it was mentioned he has an alt mode, another name, and a whole other identity before he was forced into becoming part of the prototype combiner. I doubt it IS Dominus, but it would be funny. All the time they spent together on the ship, and Rewind looking for him, when Dominus is only a foot away ;)