Overall thoughts on Fall of Cybertron? My review...

Discussion in 'Transformers Video Game Discussion' started by Unicron9, Aug 26, 2012.

1. UltraPrimus56

UltraPrimus56 In the ruins of paradise

It should've had more chapters, such as Ironhide, Breakdown (he along with many others weren't even mentioned in the entire game), even a Ratchet mission where you have to go around and patch people up on the Ark. Even though this game is INSANELY fun... It just felt like High Moon should have pushed it back until late September, and really add and improve things in the game. I even feel like the last mission was kind of rushed, and even though it was awesome... It should've let you play as at least 3 more characters before going into the Megatron vs Optimus fight. I would have liked to see actual Metroplex gameplay where you can see what its like in his eyes. The absense of many characters such as : Breakdown, Barricade, Omega Supreme, Thundercracker, Skywarp, and few others really pissed me off. And plus, you didn't even get to play as them in the campaign! I would've loved to see a tag team mission for Barricade and Breakdown, and also one for Thundercracker and Skywarp. Even a mission for Omega Supreme. The multiplayer is also kind of a step back too. WFC just feels like the sequel to me, and FOC being the first game where High Moon is just starting out. I love FOC to death, but it just has a few unmistakeable flaws that WFC doesn't really have in my opinion.

2. optimus1

optimus1 Well-Known Member

I think FOC was better sure a brush up on WFC but i am enjoying it more i find the playability better and the world is more open and visual I am only up to the rebuilding of Megatron.However i loved the previous levels Swindle on a ship just the whole feeling of trying to stop something from happening from both sides you feel this

Sure Bruticas sucked actually that was so hyped up i was disappointed and I did not expect much more from Metroplex and i have seen the ending on YT it's a shame and yes it feels incomplete. but play both games back to back i think would be worthwhile and you cant deny Jazz has the whole scatman cruthers thing going on i still rate FOC as high and enjoyable as WFC

3. King Henrik

King Henrik Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i like the game and it has both it's strengths and weaknesses when compared to War for Cybertron but did anyone think it was kind of easy? like way easier? granted i was on normal, and not hard but still i didn't die many times (i remember struggling with trypticon the first time around) actually there barely were any bosses in the game at all...

4. Reaper Cloud

Reaper Cloud Dark Wrecker

News Credits:
    I loved War for Cybertron, but since most games that have come out in the past six months are worse (sequels) or are short...I didn't rush out to buy this game. I watched a playthrough on YouTube done by DSP (DarkSydePhil) and the game looked easy and was short. The Easter Eggs were a nice touch, but the characters didn't seem as interesting as they were in WFC. Plus, I feel that Megatron should have been given a new body that almost resembled how he looks in the Prime cartoon (since they are trying so hard to make the game/cartoon connect). Certain parts were too short, and others seemed to drag.

I will buy this game of course, but not for sixty dollars. I'll wait once it reaches the 30 dollar mark, and if news of an "All for one" title is announced (one with ALL the DLC), then I'll wait for that. Other games that look okay, but not sixty dollars okay are Darksiders 2, and Sleeping Dogs. Game developers seem to be getting lazy with sequels, since most of their effort went into the first game (FOC, and Darksiders are guilty of this).

5. Forceman4077

Forceman4077 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    On the campaign front the loss of fighting named "boss" characters is a sad loss. It WFC it was cool that in the course campaign you fought Starscream, Soundwave, and other big charaters. It made you feel like you were actually fighting against the Autobot or Decepticions not just a nameless drone army.

After think about it, a big thing about the loss of coop is we loss those cool charater interaction that got you invested in those characters. For example the banter between Ironhide and Warpath, Skywarp and Thundercracker, and the Aerialbots really flushed out those characters. We got a little bit of that in the Jazz and Cliffjumper missions but not enough for me to really care about characters like Vortex or Swindle, without my preexisting knowledge of them from G1. For people that only play FoC they don't know why Warpath is so awesome, where were the kablaams btw?

6. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    They (the game developers) aren't. Hasbro is.

7. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Matt was right when he said that there are too many characters in Transformers. How on Earth is he and HMS supposed to cram all those likable characters into the story while giving them equal time while professing the story? You can't and this why HMS doesn't try to. Instead, they pen down their thoughts; find characters to drive their story forward; develop interactive abilities to engage their gamers. There approach demands a small cast of characters.

That said I do wish they incorporated campaign co-op. I don't see how it couldn't have worked considering we had co-op in the form of NPCs helping us through out the, none moreso than Cliffjumper/Jazz and Grimlock/Swoop/Slag. Different abilities, shared abilities or an alternate route would have sufficed--even WFC "To the Core" mission separated co-op members, so I don't think it would have been necessary to all participants on the same screen.

Anyway, I like FOC. It was (still is a lot of fun). Could it have been better? Everything could be better, but for what FOC is, it's a pretty good game.

I would like to see HMS do more with the games movie playback feature. It sucks! Not only do we not get all of the cutscenes, and the ones we do have are incomplete! I want to see more complete stories shown in movies! Why on Earth to HMS cut all interviews, promotions and trailers from this game?!

I would also like to see 360 degree character models added to future games, especial in a game that doesn't allow you to see your character's face. The official HP does, so why not the game?

I also want female characters to enter the story.

Lastly, fire the voice director and bring in more VAs. Frank Welker needs to be Megatron and Corey Burton needs to be Shockwave. Period.

8. webz

webz Banned

Ebay:
    Not to nitpick... but technically Jazz is Prime's second in command. Prowl is just a strategist. Jazz was the one to ready the troops in MTMTE. Jazz also was the commander at Moon Base 1 in the 86 movie while Prime was getting ready for the run to Autobot City on earth.

Anyhoo.... I've been tinkering with the game when Guild Wars 2 servers crashed, and although it is fun for a shooter, melee combat still is horrible. Also, I respect the different types of guns, because they are needed for a shooter, but couldn't they have more than just Megatron's alt mode being represented? Why not a modified version of actual TF G1 guns? Prime's Ion Blaster. Wheeljack's disruptor, etc? Everything looks like it's something from Doom, not the Transformers universe.

As usual, tho, the story mode is great. My only request for High Moon is simple... in the next game (I'm sure there will be one based on earth, so we can FINALLY get a good earth-form based G1 game) FIX THE MELEE COMBAT. I know it's a "Shooter" but I like to sneak up on decepticons and beat them to death... but it's way too clunky. Why not have two distinct controls... one for weapons, and the click "select" or something and switch to melee mode, with "fighter" type controls (i.e. punch, kick, block, and energon weapon). It would be soooooo much more fun to grapple with decepticons, compared to the crappy melee attack in WFC and FOC.

Just my two cents.

9. itMFtis

itMFtis Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    While I do have lots of complaints about FoC, the melee isn't one of them. I don't want to see a complex melee system in a fast-paced shooter, even a 3rd person one.

10. webz

webz Banned

Ebay:
    I thought most of the voices were just fine. I know I am probably in the minority hear, but I can't stand Welker's G1 Megatron voice. Welker does a MUCH better job in TFP, but he's basically trying to imitate Hugo Weaving's movie Megatron, with just a hint of the G1 voice in there.

The only voice I cannot stand is Starscream's. It doesn't fit the character at all.

Also, as much as it pains me to say it, I wish Peter Cullen would put as much effort into TFP as he does in the games. Prime has energy, you can hear compassion in his voice, and a sense of purpose. In the cartoon, Cullen sounds so flat and unresponsive... almost like Prime has given up and is just phoning in command of the Autobots.

Also ticked off how they handled Bumblebee. When I first heard the tutorial was going to be as Bumblebee taking a shot for Prime, I thought, "COOL! FINALLY gonna see how he loses his voice!" but no... they had his voice gone already. Pissed me off. I was looking forward to Megatron blowing a hole thru BB's neck!

11. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I Don't want G1 Megatron, as it would match the new Optimus. I'm would assume that, if given the chance, that Frank Welker would do the same voice he's using now in TP which is miles better than this Megatron.

There are times when Fred sounds good, but there are as many up as there are downs with him and his Megatron:( 

12. webz

webz Banned

Ebay:
    It just would give those of us who want more play styles a chance to enjoy the game. I SUCK at shooters, but I'm really good at 3rd person adventure games such as God of War, etc. I'd like to have the option of fighting the Decepticons the way I want to. It CAN be done, in FOC, (I did almost all of Prime's first level as melee, where I could), but with the same move over and over, it's boring.

The Transformers have never been a "shooting" franchise. Watch the cartoons and the movies... They fight hand-to-hand far more frequently than they do guns.

I just think it would be totally cool for a character like Jazz to go up against a large Decepticon drone, hit him a few times in the gut to daze him, then flip around, leap on his shoulders, and cave his processor in with a well placed energon-nunchuk blow.

Or imagine Optimus as a truck, driving down a corridor, a wall of 'Cons in his path, and he jets upwards, transforms into robot mode, energon sword and axe extended, and lands with a whirl... chunks of decepticons at his feet.

Still fast paced, still fun. You can shoot if you want to, or you can kick butt.

again, just my thoughts on it.

13. itMFtis

itMFtis Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sort of like the Titan's Whirlwind ability? I could see more of THAT type of melee, just not to the effect where two characters are in front of eachother trying to do some Tekken-style combat (such as punches/kicks/blocking/countering) :) 

14. Master Zarak

Master Zarak Emperor of Destruction

Ebay:
    I've read some complaints about length of the campaign being shorter than WFC. But in WFC, I found that the length of several chapters to be unbearably long and tedious (the first level, for instance). While FOC is a bit shorter, the chapters are tighter and have much more varied gameplay. It makes for an overall more enjoyable experience.

15. Unicron9

Unicron9 Fan and customizer of the TAWYS

I do agree the campaign was overall better. More epic, better music, loaded with cool moments and TFTM lines, and it doesnt have those boss fights where you have to figure out a pattern of what they do to avoid quick death, so it flowed along better without getting to any frustratingly difficult parts where you have to memorize how the boss works to win. Its just that a sequel should give you more, not less. Short campaigns and focus on Multiplayer balance is Call of Duty's thing. Although COD is the best selling and biggest online MP shooter, I don't like it for that reason, at least not since the 2nd or 3rd one. Seems like a sellout to take that route.

I have still been playing MP and escalation. Honestly neither are as fun to me as WFC, but I'm still having some fun. Not enough to stop me from forgetting about this game as soon as I get something else though probably.

16. Shlockwave

Shlockwave a.k.a Moronmaster

I haven't finished the game yet, but so far I can say the positives over WFC for me are:

-voice acting is way better here than WFC
    -The expansion of Cybertron's terrain is amazing, Sea of Rust in particular
    -the fantastic fan-boy moments such as Metroplex's entrance, Bruticus' stage, Megatron's rebirth and the Dinobots.
    -the character choices for campaigns are pretty good.

The things I haven't enjoyed so much:

-the uneven length of each level
    -the lack of a recognizable boss fight (the only character boss were the 3 individual Insecticons, and they were all in Grimlock's level!) Now I haven't gotten past using Grimlock, so maybe there's more...but it would have been cool for each character to face a recognizable opponent.
    -Audio logs? really? I'm going to replay the game so I can collect all the audio logs?

I would so far put this on the same level as WFC, in terms of things one game has vs the other doesnt. for every cosmetic change FOC has, it lacks the play features of WFC. Just wish the hype machine was on par with the game.

17. Jadryx

Jadryx Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's a big improvement over shooting faction symbols in WFC! The audio logs at least add to the story and I think they're pretty cool.

18. inturnmike

inturnmike Well-Known Member

i thought the ending battle was epic..and I LOVED that they uset the flipping insignias when you change sides throughought the battle, just like G1 show... that was great...I kept hoping the music would change for it too, but it did not...

19. LCDR Blindside

LCDR Blindside Banned

News Credits:
    I thought you, Unicron9, would like it a lot, because of the higher level of customization.

*nudge nudge*

20. Shlockwave

Shlockwave a.k.a Moronmaster

I guess, I was hoping for something a little more...visual....like art work or something...