Over 40 card decks?

Discussion in 'Transformers Trading Card Game (TCG) Discussion' started by Wreckgar, Apr 21, 2019.

1. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Moderator

News Credits:
    does anyone do it? I’m making a deck and for the current one, I cannot seem to pull it down to 40. I’m sitting at 49. I could do 48 but want 2 enigma cards in case that rare instance Treasue Hunt has me pull one that I have to scrap.

So what’s everyone’s usual deck count?

2. Automaster

Automaster Eye Heart TF's!!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Unless I'm missing one of the many arcane facets of the game, low decks are good for guys like Nemesis Prime who get some kind of benefit from having to reshuffle. Outside of that, I don't know what the need would be to stick to 40 if you have some really good cards that trigger lots of abilities/synergies, non-attack damage, form a combiner, etc.

3. Sick2Move

Sick2Move well i thought that you said that

I'm pretty strict about keeping it to 40. The goal with a smaller deck size is to make sure combos/effects happen with something approaching regularity. The more cards you've got in a deck, the less likely that is to happen. It's like, would you rather have three things happen predictably? Or six things happen occasionally?

In the times I'm building decks and I can't seem to whittle it down to 40 cards, that's usually a sign that the deck concept isn't focused enough. Maybe the characters aren't the right mix, maybe I'm depending on too many things happening in a combo, maybe I've got competing strategies at work, whatever. Something's out of whack, which is why my battle deck needs so many cards.

• Like Like x 1
  4. CybertronianFan

CybertronianFan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The thing is raising the card count past 40 decreases the chances of drawing cards you need frequently. In fun/shenanigans decks it's all good, but competitive ones I'd stick with the min. required of 40.

5. Nemesis Scourge

Nemesis Scourge Unicron's finest

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    In my YGO days I used to play with 45 cards... I couldn't bring myself to cut cards be it Monster, Spell or Trap Card. Though to be fair, I played decks that allowed me to draw more 3 cards per turn (Zombies, Gadgets, and stuff like that).

I have not tried anything with the TF TCG so far, but I could see a build with enough constant draw as well as recycling cards or cards that benefit from discarding/trading in cards.

6. That Guy

That Guy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Same here. Anytime I'm stuck above 40 I find I'm trying to do to much. I've found I win more when I have a goal in mind (get Nemesis big, Shut down with Metroplex, get extra actions with Menasor to do x, deal damage fast with insecticons) and having more cards prevents me from doing that thing.

7. jjh

jjh Well-Known Member

I actually wish there was a gameplay incentive (character or battle card) to play larger than 40 card decks. Would add some nice variety to games.

But I don't see it. 40 is my cap.

8. Carnage73

Carnage73 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    It has to do with maximizing card drawing probability. By going over 40 cards, you are now making it more difficult on yourself to draw the key cards that you are trying to play from hand.

9. Lord Ramulus

Lord Ramulus In a world of Wheelies, be a Kup.

I stick pretty close to 40...maybe 42/43 most. Deck construction is a process for me though. I start by pulling anything that seems like it would be worth having, and don't worry about the total. Then I start paring down and weighing things out based on my purpose and the team I am running with. By the end I end up just around 45. Then I test it out a few games and tweeking it.

10. HereticalHeresy

HereticalHeresy Decepticon

News Credits:
    I go with 50. 50 is a nicer number for me than 40 and I feel like that extra 10 really helps with a bit of variety depending on circumstance. I never run a deck with 40 since I don't do Nemesis or Cosmos, burning through the deck feels too quick. And with those 50 cards I find everything has a relative part in the game.

The argument against this I see often is "But you need to focus on key cards". Well I for one don't like my deck playing out the same 2 ways every time, I do prefer a bit if variety, and following that note, I find it helps me be more adaptive with an opponent. Otherwise there are cards which would lock me out of the game. In addition, when it comes to this game in particular there's nothing I hate more than flipping a card I needed. Having a bit extra again, it lets me feel more flexible than "crap I just lost that card I really needed."

• Like Like x 1
  11. Nemesis Scourge

Nemesis Scourge Unicron's finest

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    I believe the size of one's team of Characters also plays a factor.

When I have more Characters I want to be able to play more upgrades to support them and build up pressure on the field. But in order to keep up the balance between Action/Secret Action and Upgrades I increase both numbers equally.

Of course this does not apply every time, but it worked pretty well for me in decks with more than four characters.

I highly recommend using Green Pip upgrades for this! Gets you the cards you need in hand as well as helps with hand management.