Heavy/Scratch: Over 100 New Titans Returns Characters

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Trentulas, Oct 5, 2016.

1. cobrala76

cobrala76 Well-Known Member

Any plans to make faceplates that could work for M.A.S.K. head masters.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Trentulas

Trentulas Has all kinds of dangerous needs.

News Credits:
    I may see if I can work up a helmet type that doesn't lock onto the body, something that uses the rectangular peg on the back of the legs to keep straight.

Hi-def acrylate sands just fine in my experience, though what you're seeing the photos isn't quite the in-hand experience. the material is ever so slightly translucent, and for some reason digital photography picks up layering that is almost impossible to see or feel in-hand. Any layering you get for that material will typically vanish under a bit of primer or the base coat of your paintjob.

It does bleed just a bit. But there are ways you can mitigate that. First, start with really thin coats of thinned paint and don't go all the way up to the edge (however thin you think it should be, go thinner than that). You'll get a feel for the bleed and can then work it out slowly. Every layer you add will reduce the bleed as it soaks in. Alternatively, you might put on a layer of sealant, then paint, then seal again. I haven't tried it myself, but it should work in theory.

The rules with Hi-Def Acyrlate include a prohibition on sprued parts due to how the support material has to be removed. For flat sets of four faces it doesn't appear to be a problem, but the three-dimensional spruing of the Stalker kit and the Slog Kit disqualify them from that material, sadly. Hopefully that restriction will loosen with time.

[​IMG]

They're obviously 3d printed pieces, but once painted and coated, I think my WS&F set turned out nice enough even in the unpolished material.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Trentulas

News Credits:
    I didn't realize at first that was one of my painted heads there for a second. Dang that turned out nice. Mind if I use the pic for promos and stuff?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Hyoumaru

Hyoumaru M.S.B.S. ver. 10.5

would spraying a seal coat theoretically get rid of the grainy surface of the polished plastic?

5. Trentulas

News Credits:
    It might smooth it out some, I expect it'd look a lot like the gun my MW Soundwave is holding up there, even though that was unpolished, it should give an idea.

Or, if you're looking for something smoother, A bit of primer and sanding can do wonders.

6. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

The stock helmets use that peg, so I think it should work! :) 
    Great to know!
    I sure hope so! Everything I'm hearing about the material sounds great!
    Supposing I want a smoother look than WSF (and ignoring cost), do you think I should go with the frosted materials, or the rubbery acrylic materials?

Just spraying it won't make it turn out smooth. You'll just get a shinier grainy texture ;) 

I've managed to get a few simple pieces to come out smooth in WSF. Starting with primer or a base coat, I let the material "drink" until it's saturated. Then it's paint, sand and buff with finishing pads, and repeat until it's smooth. This is a lot of work even for smooth flat surfaces. Complex parts are exponentially more difficult, and I prefer just to pay for FUD for those if they don't require more durability.

7. Trentulas

News Credits:
  8. autobot prowl

autobot prowl Well-Known Member

Yeah I've never had a problem with FUD material. Once paint is applied it's nice and smooth

9. flamepanther

FUD is very smooth, but I'll have to be mindful of those pegs.

10. UltraPrimal

UltraPrimal YouTuber (she/they)‍️‍

News Credits:
    These look great. I'd love to see these, especially the BW ones, on figures.

11. BottleOfFuture

BottleOfFuture Weaponizer

I'd love to see some anime accurate faces for the original Headmasters. Stuff like Takara's facesculpts but not so expensive it's double the price of a US Deluxe.

A more G1 Chromedome face in particular would be fantastic, and I think a lot of people would be interested in such a thing considering how many people dislike the idw choice on Titans return Chromedome.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Nexucon Prime

Nexucon Prime Herald of Unicron

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Can I request a Cybertron Thunderblast mold? I'm thinking of having Scourge repainted as her (with a new weapon too.)

• Like Like x 1
  13. flamepanther

Oh, that's brilliant!

14. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde born-again First Churcher

News Credits:
    Amazing work!

This is really impressive.

15. Heckfire

Heckfire Work In Progress

Hey, I hate to be a downer, but I just got the adapter heads for the CW OffRoad mould and the socket for the neck ball is too big, the head won't stay on at all. The SmallFoot and FOC Brute faceplates look great, though...I just can't use them with these.

16. Nexucon Prime

Nexucon Prime Herald of Unicron

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I thought of it because he transforms so much like she does and making his alt mode more like a boat would be easy and can mostly be done via paint apps. The main challenge would be the chest plate (if I even want to bother), the head and the Missle launcher.

17. flamepanther

Did you get the 5mm one or the 4mm one?

18. Hyoumaru

Got the IDW Hardhead faceplate in yesterday... I REALLY regret not ordering ultra frosted detail at this point, because the overall result feels a little... melty, like something you'd see from mold degredation.

I'm considering attempting a paint wash for the first time in hopes it'll bring some of the edges out after I've painted and sealed it, but would that genuinly help any? I honestly don't know.

19. flamepanther

What material did you choose?

20. Hyoumaru

Yellow plastic polished

because in an astoundingly dumb moment, I forgot the 3D Printed plastic absorbs the paint and thinking getting it cast in yellow would mean I wouldn't have to paint the face. Nope.